SawStop, stops on contact with skin is coming to Europe soon!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin C must be one of the most savvy people going. Somehow he manages to do sponsored content for all the tool manufacturers - on his channel I think I've seen Milwaukee, Metabo, Hikoki & now Hilti.

The hyperbole at the start is a little too much - been waiting for this saw but then why didn't he buy the TKS80 when it came out? And only one year ago he posted a video of demonstrating the setup of the Hikoki cordless site saw :D

I'm sure it's part of the British psyche that as consumers we all have a strong dislike for a company with a monopoly on something :) - I'm sure if this technology was available on every saw, it wouldn't actually cause as much controversy as it does on this forum.

The video by Robin was interesting. I find it disheartening that SawStop are supposedly a company that really care about safety but then allow videos like this to go out.

I mean firstly the saw was placed amongst a load of scraps & offcuts - trip hazards galore. Michael, even though he was in close proximity to the saw wasn't wearing ear defenders and it didn't appear that either Robin or Michael had safety rated glasses on and no dust extraction used. If we want to get really picky, Michael was wearing a ring, a watch, long sleeves and not sure he had safety shoes on either.

It's mentioned in the video, but only very briefly that the crown guard has been removed for demo purposes and without a big disclaimer that you should always fit it.

From a safety standpoint, it was a poor video. It was also telling that Robin really had to overcome his own practices of not putting his hands close to the blade - illustrating again that with correct practice, this is a safety system of last resort.

It will be interesting to see how these saws do in Europe. As mentioned in some comments, the saw appears to be 230V only but marketed as a job site saw and 110v is the standard here and even then, battery only on many sites. Based on the contractors I see at my place of work not even using basic PPE like ear defenders, cutting wood over their knee with a circular saw and bad use of ladders, I'm not sure a SS will be high up their priority list when it isn't 110v or not on their battery platform.

For the hobbyist in the UK, rather than the bigger and better attitude of the USA, we seem to pride ourselves on getting a bargain and the new Evolution saw is all the rage on YT so will spending that much on a SS appeal

They also plan to bring the cabinet saw to Europe next year which will also be interesting - in many ways too big/too expensive for the hobbyist and most pro shops want sliders so not too clear what target market that reaches.

So, imo, SawStop do care about safety but don't care about safety enough to ensure their saws are only demonstrated with absolute best practices in their own promotional material which ultimately shows where their priorities lie.

Yes I’ve said in my post I have both corded and cordless. But not because I can’t untangle a lead or I keep tripping over it . I was replying to @Ed Weber post regarding the dude with 1/2 a finger advertising s s .
I worked in a shop in my younger years where most everything was pneumatic. Drills, sanders, riveter, you name it. While sometimes the line could be a bother, for the most part it was just part of using the tool. I really don't think everything in the world needs to be cordless.
I work in my shop, not out at client's houses. I can plug a cord into the socket if need be. I might have to practice a bit of course but I think I can manage.
At least all my air tools have the same connection and all my corded tools have the same plug.
Cordless tools, that's another story. How many battery platforms will cross over and fit another's brand? I'm thinking zero

Point being, if a SawStop trips for whatever reason on site, you're pretty much stuffed.
Yes I can see it now, the poor old saw being fed a ham sandwich to see if it responds followed by a site investigation to find out if a cheese and onion sandwich also works followed by other varieties with and without pickle. In theory the saw should be vegetarian so it rejects meat !

I really don't think everything in the world needs to be cordless.
Fully agree, cordless has it's place but any tool with an extraction hose might as well be corded. During my last sort out I found three old cordless drills, two AEG and an old 12 volt Makita all perfectly good drills but made obsolete by the need for new batteries yet my big old Hilti is still going strong at thirty plus. I think if you are earning a living on sites then cordless tools are handy and the job pays for them but in a workshop or for home use then corded are not only cheaper but last.

I prefer corded for most things, especially those that use dust extraction. Router, sander, etc. My extractors have a power take off socket, so when the tool is turned on the extraction comes on as well. Obviously table saw, mitre saw, band saw and planner are not on the auto system, although I have my big extractor wired with a remote control.

Yes I can see it now, the poor old saw being fed a ham sandwich to see if it responds followed by a site investigation to find out if a cheese and onion sandwich also works followed by other varieties with and without pickle. In theory the saw should be vegetarian so it rejects meat !
You can 'peel' a coconut using a tablesaw

Drop the blade right down so it projects up about 2 or 3mm
Next. Holding the coconut in both hands, one each side, spin it slowly around so the blade cuts a groove.
Expand the groove by moving the nut left and right until eventually the entire coconut shell has been cut away.

Obviously I'm not recommending anyone give this a try, but should the notion hit you, this is pretty much the technique.

A simple blade is the way to go. not - repeat NOT - to be tried using a dado stack.

There are other fun things you can do with dangerous woodworking machinery. All you need is a bit of imagination

How many battery platforms will cross over and fit another's brand? I'm thinking zero

I'm sure I recently caught sight of there being an EU directive where in the future all cordless power tools are going to have to share the same connection interface

Could be wrong(frequently am) as its nothing I've actually read, but got a niggle in my head theres something like this brewing in the wind.

It will just be like light bulbs bayonet/ or Edison screw /gu10 etc common connections but vastly different quality of bulbs and or tubes . Will makita honour your drill warranty if you have been using a Milwaukee charger or a dewalt battery on a Bosch circular saw etc .. what next I wonder 🤔🤔🤔

It will just be like light bulbs bayonet/ or Edison screw /gu10 etc common connections but vastly different quality of bulbs and or tubes

Did you know that lightbulbs are designed to fail ? I read somewhere that the original design meant that the bulb would have a working life measured in the decades, but with everything, if it doesn't fail, you quickly go out of business.

Did you know that lightbulbs are designed to fail ? I read somewhere that the original design meant that the bulb would have a working life measured in the decades, but with everything, if it doesn't fail, you quickly go out of business.
Reminds me of an old film - can’t recall the title but he was a tailor I think and he invented a material that never got dirty or wore out ( I think) but he was run out of town literally as he was putting everyone else out of business.. 🫣🫣

Reminds me of an old film - can’t recall the title but he was a tailor I think and he invented a material that never got dirty or wore out ( I think) but he was run out of town literally as he was putting everyone else out of business.. 🫣🫣
The Man in a White Suit? An Ealing Comedy starring Alec Guinness?

And back then with all the soot particles all over everything something like a white suit was a ridiculous idea.
Vaguely remember the film though. About the same period when the film Flubber came out, captivated me!
Ian

Sorry guys, I can't let this go. Sawstop make a product to stop you cutting your fingers off. If you use a crown guard it gets difficult to cut yourself. I made a plastic guard for the left side of the crown guard which includes an angled piece that covers the front end of the crown guard. With this configuration it is very difficult to get your fingers anywhere near the front of the blade. Maybe sawstop should concentrate their efforts on preventing kickback! I wonder how many kickback incidents compare with incidents of loosing a finger. And, (sorry again) if you don't know how to use a table saw safely you shouldn't own one!

Back