SawStop, stops on contact with skin is coming to Europe soon!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many these days, which you can view on YT daily, DO NOT have a clue how to use tools.
I don't think they were exposed to meccano (erector set in the states) or wooden blocks or lego before they went commercial. They have no mechanical mind, no understanding of the 6 simple machines. No concept of the most basic of physics. Yes that's harsh but it's true, I say this having seen people do all sorts of ill advised things they would not do if they had some basic understanding of the above. I'm quite sure many of you who watch YT have also.
SS may very well help these sorts of people keep their digits but there are many other shop dangers out there that can be avoided with a little knowledge or training.

Well thats the thing. Nobody is born with this sort of info in their heads. They learn it through training, and the best training is watching then giving it a go by themselves.

We learn by our mistakes. And nobody,but nobody is infallible.

Many these days, which you can view on YT daily, DO NOT have a clue how to use tools.
I don't think they were exposed to meccano (erector set in the states) or wooden blocks or lego before they went commercial. They have no mechanical mind, no understanding of the 6 simple machines. No concept of the most basic of physics. Yes that's harsh but it's true, I say this having seen people do all sorts of ill advised things they would not do if they had some basic understanding of the above. I'm quite sure many of you who watch YT have also.
SS may very well help these sorts of people keep their digits but there are many other shop dangers out there that can be avoided with a little knowledge or training.
Yeah there is no help for these types they are not going to make it into their senior years without serious injury and those that do will get there by sheer luck and therefore will be in complete denial if you were to show them what they are doing wrong ..

There is an entire generation or two that have grown up addicted to screens.
Now I'm aware that some experts say this increases hand/eye ordination but there's a bit more to it than hitting a button really fast.
I've been saying for years, "there's no app for that"
As time goes by humans consistently remove themselves from the actual work by way of machines, it's just normal evolution.
SS is maybe the first baby step in this evolution towards making tools "safe" to use for everyone but It will be a few more generations before all tools are "safe" for everyone.
Try to keep your wits about you no matter what tool you're using.

Ed, much of the YouTubers are simply followers of fashion. Making videos is a fashion thing. how else does one explain the proliferation of identical topic videos and identical tools lining the rear if the workshop ..... green Festools, black SawStops, and red Woodpeckers.

So the "in" tablesaw is the SawStop... actually, it is a pretty good one ... but that does not stop it becoming a fashion object.

Wait for the masses to discover Hammer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now I’ve heard various arguments for and against . Some are content with their own experience and their push sticks and a organised and tidy workshop , they utilise all of their
experience and safe working practices and I have no problem with any of these methods apart from one - we can’t predict the future. By this I mean and I know it’s unlikely but in no way impossible- the timber is ready for the cut , the saw is running ( non saw stop of course) as you feed the timber into the blade you are suddenly not yourself you don’t no why , and you don’t even feel the blade tearing into your hand but you have just suffered a stroke or seizure or heat attack etc . No amount of push sticks or experience can save you but a saw stop would have ….
What if you are suddenly not yourself and imagine wrongly that you have a sawstop? :unsure:

The basic dilemma is that here is money to be made out of Sawstop but very little from push sticks, crown guards, safe practice advice. That's why it is promoted.*
It's fairly extreme gadgetisation (the curse of modern woodwork!) when there are cheap and highly effective options which can be used on all/any saws, PTs, spindles, with a very high degree of safety resulting.
* Come to think - maybe a booklet with comprehensive safety advice, plus a pair of push sticks, plus photos of bloody fingers, would be a seller?

What if you are suddenly not yourself and imagine wrongly that you have a sawstop? :unsure:

The basic dilemma is that here is money to be made out of Sawstop but very little from push sticks, crown guards, safe practice advice. That's why it is promoted.*
It's fairly extreme gadgetisation (the curse of modern woodwork!) when there are cheap and highly effective options which can be used on all/any saws, PTs, spindles, with a very high degree of safety resulting.
* Come to think - maybe a booklet with comprehensive safety advice, plus a pair of push sticks, plus photos of bloody fingers, would be a seller?
There is plenty of room for the usual safety precautions that you mention- push sticks feather boards, then you have the likes of jessem clear stops , various other systems that only allow the work piece to be fed in one direction etc .the way I see s s is it is there as a last resort. If something goes unexpectedly wrong as you say you are suddenly not yourself ( btw I can’t imagine that I could suddenly think I had a saw stop but I didn’t) no matter how I was feeling. Every morning I wake up and some w er has swapped my Lamborghini for a ford I get so upset 😭 - seriously though it’s just another safety device that could just save your life or your fingers or your hand . As long as it’s a choice and not mandatory then you don’t have to have one . I’ve managed so far without one but as I get older and even more forgetful I’d like to have something additional to my usual safety regime as a just in case or a get out of jail card . This is my choice and I’m not saying it should be yours or anyone else’s . I consider myself a safe and responsible driver but would I drive without wearing a seatbelt or drive with bald tyres or drive at 3 times the speed limit because I have a safe car packed with all the latest safety technology- absolutely not!!!

Found what might be a possible price for the basic sit compact model. listed UK from a tool supplier in the UK, UK £ price.
£1326.42 120v
https://www.raptorsupplies.co.uk/pd...Yoegk_oOdYhih69rkvgrWDCRwSOdfX0CbJCsB64tYacyw

@SawStop
Clearly this is too expensive for us poor Brits and a retail price of about £999 as an absolute maximum would be much better and lead to *possibly trillions of sales.

*This may not be true
Hi Triton,
That’s an unofficial seller offering to import - probably wouls be stopped at customs for being EU / UK spec.

But there is good news for you… 😉

We’ve released pricing information now and I’ve been able to price the Compact Table Saw at £899 / €999 and the Jobsite Saw Pro at £1499 / €1499 incl. VAT

We will be selling on www.sawstop.eu as well as a select number of top dealers.

More info to come soon also… 😉

I know some will jump on this and tell me their fingers are worth it but that is just plain expensive.
I would also add that the advertising with the guy missing a finger is off-putting.
JMHO

I know some will jump on this and tell me their fingers are worth it but that is just plain expensive.
I would also add that the advertising with the guy missing a finger is off-putting.
JMHO
I’m pretty sure that’s the point - don’t end up like me - buy a sawstop. Also I’m sure most potential customers will compare the cost of the s s to a professional cabinet saw or similar. Then there are those that take their saw to the job so again portability is important so many will compare the cost of a job site saw to a s s . There are far more distractions on site or in a customer’s home so again this will be another + point for some .

There's also far more abuse given to site saws, and there's also the "Ooh look, I've heard of these. let's see if it works!" mentality that often goes hand in hand with site work. Point being, if a SawStop trips for whatever reason on site, you're pretty much stuffed.

JMHO
That will depend on your perspective and I am sure they will have done their research...

currently you can have the tech. in a more expensive Festool saw, and now this which is cheaper...

If I were looking for a TS - this would be high on my list - currently it is on the banned list as my wife has to sew too many fingers back on from those who use them!

That will depend on your perspective and I am sure they will have done their research...

currently you can have the tech. in a more expensive Festool saw, and now this which is cheaper...

If I were looking for a TS - this would be high on my list - currently it is on the banned list as my wife has to sew too many fingers back on from those who use them!
Ironically I’m in hospital as my mom has broken her elbow and hip .. not a place I’d want to spend any time in other than the 2 visits a day ..

I know why they use that advertising, it's pretty obvious, it's also arrogant, IMO
We're back to the "if you don't use our saw, your putting yourself in danger" or some such nonsense.

People need to pay attention to what they're doing and 99.9% of shop accidents would stop immediately.
Why teach the humans, they're a lost cause. Lets just try to make the machines silly person-proof

Most advertising in the uk is arrogant and assumes people are stupid and while this is true of a small percentage most of us are quite sensible-and intelligent. The ones I find annoying and arrogant are for cordless hoovers -in fact anything with a power cable is all of a sudden after multiple decades beyond our intelligence to use without getting the cable in a tangle , or pulling the plug out of the socket, or all of a sudden we’re unable to cope with corded appliances and therefore we must purchase these under powered battery models that only run for 40 minutes but no problem as you can clean your entire home in 40 minutes. I still don’t have a cordless hoover . I have cordless power tools and corded . It’s not the advertising that makes me buy it’s the product itself..

Most advertising in the uk is arrogant and assumes people are stupid and while this is true of a small percentage most of us are quite sensible-and intelligent. The ones I find annoying and arrogant are for cordless hoovers -in fact anything with a power cable is all of a sudden after multiple decades beyond our intelligence to use without getting the cable in a tangle , or pulling the plug out of the socket, or all of a sudden we’re unable to cope with corded appliances and therefore we must purchase these under powered battery models that only run for 40 minutes but no problem as you can clean your entire home in 40 minutes. I still don’t have a cordless hoover . I have cordless power tools and corded . It’s not the advertising that makes me buy it’s the product itself..
Do you have a cordless drill?

Latest posts

Back