SawStop, stops on contact with skin is coming to Europe soon!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pete, yep the UK follows the same European regulations. Those products will be starting later though, but we can certainly get you on a list to be one of the first when we make them available. If you like us to note your details down already then you can send a message to [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks!
Appreciate that Micheal but I am in Canada so having one shipped here might hurt a little. What I meant was will they be sold by the retailers here in Canada? There are at least two sellers in our little city of Saskatoon.

Pete

Hi Jacob, yes indeed all of our saws come with push-sticks that can be easily accessed and stored, as well as integrated riving knives and crown guards. We also have quite some videos on techniques on our US site that we will make available for European audiences too.
You've just spoilt his day. ;)

I just don’t see the issue- with s s - either your saw has it or it doesn’t. You either want a saw with s s or you don’t . You might have had years of professional training and years of experience and feel you don’t need such a device or equally that you can see the benefits of s s . My point is as far as I can see it’s the individuals choice as to what they want from their saw . My job site saw does not of course have s s but I’d happily consider one at a reasonable additional cost as a just in case extra safety measure in addition to working safely and following all relevant procedures. I have all fingers and thumbs . If you look at classic and older cars before the addition of Abs , side impact protection , air bags, collision avoidance systems, brake assist, cars that automatically alert the emergency services in the event of a collision none of these safety features prevent the accident but will hopefully reduce any injuries if you are involved in a collision. But it’s your choice to drive a new safer car or an older less equipped one . Personally like most members I prefer to be as safe as possible be that via equipment or training or experience or a combination of all three . I’ve often wondered what the comparison is between table saw injuries and chainsaw injuries is . I use both regularly but my safety ppe for my chainsaw use far exceeds what I’d use when using my tablesaw. Just my opinion of course

when he sees their educational videos with no crown guard he will soon perk up.
The crown guard is there to stop you getting injured, if the saw cannot injure you then why have one ? This is a problem with some features that make you more confident because something else is keeping you safe in the knowledge this saw has lost it's teeth when it comes to your flesh and human nature will end up with you taking more chances to get things done without always putting safety first as it has already been dealt with and you have a safe machine.

The crown guard is there to stop you getting injured, if the saw cannot injure you then why have one ? This is a problem with some features that make you more confident because something else is keeping you safe in the knowledge this saw has lost it's teeth when it comes to your flesh and human nature will end up with you taking more chances to get things done without always putting safety first as it has already been dealt with and you have a safe machine.
All the video I've seen is of someone slowly pushing a hot dog into the blade. If you actually slipped and fell, it'd be more like dropping a shoulder of lamb onto the blade. I'd be genuinely interested to see that video.
Ok, lamb's not so popular in the US, venison would work.

All the video I've seen is of someone slowly pushing a hot dog into the blade. If you actually slipped and fell, it'd be more like dropping a shoulder of lamb onto the blade. I'd be genuinely interested to see that video.
Ok, lamb's not so popular in the US, venison would work.

Well that would be your own bloody fault because one of the important things you do approaching a machine is to make doubly sure there are no things lying about on the floor and its swept clean of sawdust.

As to this 'Arriving soon' How long are we talking about in a ballpark figure ?

@John Brown this shows someone pushing their hot dog quickly into the blade, should start in the right place.

@Spectric the crown guard doesn't just stop you touching the blade it also helps stops kickback, even though you might have Saw Stop you are still at risk from kickback so in my opinion a crown guard should still be used.

The chances are you're going too be using push sticks anyway, and any contact is going to be more along the lines of touching it sideways or when pushing a wider bit through the saw with your hand between the fence and the blade, or in the case of a kickback on a smaller/shorter piece.

Again, use the push sticks/guard/riving knife will limit and accidental contact by a large percentage.

@John Brown this shows someone pushing their hot dog quickly into the blade, should start in the right place.

@Spectric the crown guard doesn't just stop you touching the blade it also helps stops kickback, even though you might have Saw Stop you are still at risk from kickback so in my opinion a crown guard should still be used.

Thanks. That's impressive. I'll still be sticking with the old-fashioned knife and fork, though!

Again, use the push sticks/guard/riving knife will limit and accidental contact by a large percentage.
Correct use of the saw by using push sticks and safe practices makes sawstop not neccessary. There is no excuse for anyone ever placing hands or digits near the blade, you would not stick your hand in a gas burner on a cooker or put your hand in a garden shredder so why feed it to a table saw ?

Correct use of the saw by using push sticks and safe practices makes sawstop not necessary. There is no excuse for anyone ever placing hands or digits near the blade, you would not stick your hand in a gas burner on a cooker or put your hand in a garden shredder so why feed it to a table saw ?

Sorry, got to disagree. Push sticks will limit the chances of an accident, but thats the thing about accidents, they are as we say 'accidents'
What sawstop does is removes any chance of those accidents becoming life changing.

The crown guard is there to stop you getting injured,

Probably more accurate to say that a crown guard reduces the chance of you getting injured.
I reckon many crown guards would allow a finger or four to reach the blade if you placed your hand palm down
on a board to push it through, especially if the blade was set a little higher than necessary.

I don't see the need for a Saw Stop. As mentioned above, a push stick will keep your hands away from the blade, the crown guard will prevent your fingers from coming into the contact with the blade. But, what are your fingers doing that close to the crown guard? (If you happen to fall into the saw and blade you have a different issue, clean up your workshop!). I made a push "shoe" with a long-ish reach and hooked end from an old hand saw handle. This keeps my hands that bit farther away from the blade and it applies downward pressure on the timber. I also use a featherboard for lateral pressure whenever possible. If I can't use a featherboard I use a push stick for lateral pressure. 50 years using a table saw and I still have all ten fingers! With the variety of saws out there I wonder what the cost will be for "one off" Saw Stop gizmos?

My table saw safety is pretty fool proof and zero risk. I don’t have a table saw. I have used one or two for specific tasks in workshops and courses but absolutely hate the things. Too scary for me. If I ever did get one it would definitely have saw stop but to be honest the chances of me buying one are pretty much zero. It’s a choice thing. It’s great there is choice.

May I ask, what is the table and fence made of? Are they aluminium (if so what grade) or cast iron. The reason I ask, is to understand both vibration damping and also how quickly it’s likely to wear. There are certain saws I won’t restore / work on because the tables wear very quickly, and you end up with a hollow near the blade. Not only can this be dangerous but it also makes setting the fence very difficult / impossible to get right.

May I also ask how is the fence adjusted? The part that we almost always have to replace on saws we restore is the micro adjust where it’s a rack and pinion system. The pinion is almost always worn out.

The last thing I’d like to ask about is the trunnions, is a single or double trunnion system, and is there a system to adjust them to allow for wear which inevitably occurs.

My feeling is anything that improves workshop safety is a good thing, I use guards, push sticks and blocks when appropriate but wouldn't say no to any extra safety features like SawStop technology.

I first saw SawStop in action at IWF Atlanta in 2018, I will be back there next week will you be going @Michael Davies ?

Cheers

Peter

SawStop is great for limiting injury after the accident.
Now the only problem is, what about all the other deadly tools I own without AIM tech built into them?
Do I just wait until Stihl makes a "safe" chainsaw? What about my jointer, those are usually good for a few fingers from time to time or the miter saw or bandsaw or ...? What about my lathe, where there is no flesh sensing that would help, can I still use that?
I could go on, I have a long list of "dangerous" tools that I need someone to save me from.
A Table saw is just one tool, do we stop using all tools that "someone" thinks are dangerous because they don't have this tech in them or do we proceed as usual, using our heads and common sense for safety?
I know this was sarcastic but these are legitimate questions that will be asked, especially after SS is mandated. The term "slippery slope" comes to mind.

My feeling is anything that improves workshop safety is a good thing, I use guards, push sticks and blocks when appropriate but wouldn't say no to any extra safety features like SawStop technology.

I first saw SawStop in action at IWF Atlanta in 2018, I will be back there next week will you be going @Michael Davies ?

Cheers

Peter
100% agree - just can’t see why some are against a safety device that can save you from the operating theatre and life changing injuries. There is no legislation to say you must purchase a saw stop table saw and even if there was are the heath and safety police going to carry out dawn raids to remove any offending table saws from workshops all over the country . Just don’t see what all resistance is about -like I’ve said buy one or don’t buy one it’s your choice but let’s not force our own personal decision on to others .

Latest posts

Back