SawStop, stops on contact with skin is coming to Europe soon!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chipmonk you said "They claimed and fought dozens of patents to ensure the barrier for entry was high and blocked the US market, making it more difficult and less financially sensible for other companies to bring products to market."

Given all the manufacturers rejected licensing the system flat out when it was offered to them, they went making the machines themselves. Not an inexpensive undertaking. Blocking others by enforcing their patents is not wrong and the whole point of the patent system. Big Pharma make SawStop look like amatures.

Now as for the added cost of a SawStop compared to any other table saw in the same class. People keep forgetting in addition to the brake cartridge and associated electrics and electronics the mechanical parts are much more robust and complicated (more parts and of greater precision) than a regular saw which add to the cost. I know because I have had mine since shortly after they were first offered in Canada and I can see and compare it to my earlier saw. It must be kept in mind that just because they look similar to other saws on the outside, it doesn't mean the should cost the same.

You are entitled to your rant but I think getting mad over advertising doesn't add up given the number of companies that have lied about their products that were known to be very harmful to us. The tobacco industry for example.

In time the cost will come down. Until they do lets toss all our push sticks into a big pile at Jacob's place and play a game of pickup sticks.

Pete

Chipmonk you said "They claimed and fought dozens of patents to ensure the barrier for entry was high and blocked the US market, making it more difficult and less financially sensible for other companies to bring products to market."

Given all the manufacturers rejected licensing the system flat out when it was offered to them, they went making the machines themselves. Not an inexpensive undertaking. Blocking others by enforcing their patents is not wrong and the whole point of the patent system. Big Pharma make SawStop look like amatures.

Now as for the added cost of a SawStop compared to any other table saw in the same class. People keep forgetting in addition to the brake cartridge and associated electrics and electronics the mechanical parts are much more robust and complicated (more parts and of greater precision) than a regular saw which add to the cost. I know because I have had mine since shortly after they were first offered in Canada and I can see and compare it to my earlier saw. It must be kept in mind that just because they look similar to other saws on the outside, it doesn't mean the should cost the same.

You are entitled to your rant but I think getting mad over advertising doesn't add up given the number of companies that have lied about their products that were known to be very harmful to us. The tobacco industry for example.

In time the cost will come down. Until they do lets toss all our push sticks into a big pile at Jacob's place and play a game of pickup sticks.

Pete
Thanks, good points well made.

I'm not really mad about the advertising, as much as the decades long lack of consideration of the fact that this is a life-saving technology that should be used as a pawn in corporate games of greed and power. The tagline about safety first was just unacceptable to me.

I know, as the genius comic said above: "company wants to make profit shock!", but if we continue to accept being treated like this, we always will. When your kid loses their fingers, you'll feel different, trust me.

Back