Decorative screw ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb94

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m planning to attach the front and back of my crib to the sides so it can be taken down for storage.

Hopefully you can see the front / back pieces are M&T jointed to the 2x2 leg, and the sides are a complete unit that will connect onto the leg.

I was thinking of using a floating tenon glued in one piece to act to locate the joint and to resist movement in the vertical direction, and then a screw / bolt to fasten the joint tight.

But I don’t want a Philips head screw in the middle of my piece I’m trying to do a nice job of it.

Anyone got any ideas for a more decorate screw / screw cap / nice brass cover that I could use to cover a fastener up. Or an alternative fastener to screws?

Thanks

IMG_5373.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5372.jpeg
    IMG_5372.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
A nice brass slotted screw looks ok.
What about mirror screws with the little screw in caps, domed or flat normally chrome but I have seen brass ones similar.

A nice brass slotted screw looks ok.
What about mirror screws with the little screw in caps, domed or flat normally chrome but I have seen brass ones similar.
Yeah brass slotted I think would look nice if there not any other way to attach.

I’m a bit reluctant about anything with caps incase they come loose what with it being for a baby.

You could hide the screws inside the mating surfaces by using keyhole plates, or you can even do it without, but for longevity plates would be best. You could also use those nasty bedrail to post things. Would work better on this than on a bed imo.
Ian

How about Joint connector bolts & cross dowels loads of different sizes and finishes available if you hunt around, bit of precision required to fit them though. I'm currently making a new bed using them to fasten the side rails to the head/base board, so a similar usage.

How about Joint connector bolts & cross dowels loads of different sizes and finishes available if you hunt around, bit of precision required to fit them though. I'm currently making a new bed using them to fasten the side rails to the head/base board, so a similar usage.
I thought about this but you’d see the hardware inside the crib and the outer side so not the most attractive option

Good point about the caps. What about something like the two part biscuit connectors from Lamello. Or the domino bed frame connector things.

Good point about the caps. What about something like the two part biscuit connectors from Lamello. Or the domino bed frame connector things.

I’ve ordered the round profile bed rail bracket and I’ll see how well it works.

thinking I might need to add some bracing on the bottom apron running perpendicular to the long side to prevent racking but I’ll see how stable it is once it’s all built up.

If I do need the bracing the sex bolts I think would look nice, and couple them with a machine bolt-woodscrew in the end of the brace.

Edit:
Just thought the bracing would be a good idea regardless, it would give extra support for the bottom position of the bed board, when baby is biggest and most likely to jump about.

Hello When making a cot I had a similar experience. It needed to be dismantled for storage and the base had to be adjustable for height. I used insert nuts and connector bolts from Screwfix. These are reasonably priced and simple to fix. They have worked well and are hardly noticeable. So far it has been used for three grandchildren, and still going strong. Cheers IanA

Attachments

• Cot end .JPG
    Cot end .JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Cot Ash.JPG
    Cot Ash.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Hello When making a cot I had a similar experience. It needed to be dismantled for storage and the base had to be adjustable for height. I used insert nuts and connector bolts from Screwfix. These are reasonably priced and simple to fix. They have worked well and are hardly noticeable. So far it has been used for three grandchildren, and still going strong. Cheers IanA
Beautiful crib!

I can see for the base you’ve gone for slats, and halfway up a threaded insert for the higher slat position. Did you just have a removable rail for the top position for the slats to sit on?

Beautiful crib!

I can see for the base you’ve gone for slats, and halfway up a threaded insert for the higher slat position. Did you just have a removable rail for the top position for the slats to sit on?
Hello No I didn't use a rail. For both the top and lower position the base is supported with the same type of insert nuts and connector bolts. On the far left leg (second picture) you can see the insert nut for the base approximately two thirds down the leg. I cut the heads off four connector bolts just to blank off these nuts. To raise and fix the base they are swapped with the long bolts already holding the base in the lower position. I hope that makes sense! Cheers IanA

Beautiful crib!

Hello I notice that my reply might not have properly answered your question. The bottom is in one piece and is a frame with slats screwed in place. The entire cot/crib is in 5 parts, i.e. 2 sides, 2 ends and a base. Cheers Ian A

Hello I notice that my reply might not have properly answered your question. The bottom is in one piece and is a frame with slats screwed in place. The entire cot/crib is in 5 parts, i.e. 2 sides, 2 ends and a base. Cheers Ian A
I thought the bottom must be in one piece rather than loose slats.

I’m considering doing the base of mine out of plywood and then facing the cut edge in some leftover cherry.

I thought the bottom must be in one piece rather than loose slats.

I’m considering doing the base of mine out of plywood and then facing the cut edge in some leftover cherry.
Ply on a cherry frame sounds like a good idea. I made the cot with ash but the base was from a few planks of oak I already had in the workshop. Best of luck with the project Cheers Ian A

Latest posts

Back