Am I really that out of touch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Got an email from SDS London today advertising their new range of reclaimed scaffold board shelves, only £76.80 for a 600mm length. According to the blurb "It's more than just a storage solution, it's a statement piece."

They also have some 8" metal shelf brackets which would go nicely with them at £114 EACH.

Do people really buy this stuff :dunno:

https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/light-p...vbp07tIZYJG7NEJKZz3LbuJsQf90Fb1gaAtv4EALw_wcB

Got an email from SDS London today advertising their new range of reclaimed scaffold board shelves, only £76.80 for a 600mm length. According to the blurb "It's more than just a storage solution, it's a statement piece."

They also have some 8" metal shelf brackets which would go nicely with them at £114 EACH.

Do people really buy this stuff :dunno:

https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/light-p...vbp07tIZYJG7NEJKZz3LbuJsQf90Fb1gaAtv4EALw_wcB
Looks like a scam and a very amateurish one at that. Try upping the number to be purchased; the price stays the same. SDS London doesn’t even sell anything from their website.
Brian

Looks like a scam and a very amateurish one at that. Try upping the number to be purchased; the price stays the same. SDS London doesn’t even sell anything from their website.
Brian

They are a proper firm who sell good quality ironmongery, I've had stuff from them in the past, just surprised to see them selling stuff like this.

Do people really buy this stuff
I think the clue is in the name, SDS London !

SDS London doesn’t even sell anything from their website.
Genuine company, I brought a lot of Sodheco sliding door tracks and kits and a great service.

I also got that email about the scaffold boards and for people who are in the know then the prices do seem crazy but you would be amazed at how much people will pay especially if they have a money making type job as they don't seem to have any concept of cost or value .

It is dangerous to judge London by the standards of the rest of the UK.

For many professional types - solicitors, accountants etc - pay is around double that of provincial towns and cities. It is supply an demand - a rental flat in a decent part of central London may be £2-3k per month and salaries need to be sufficiently high to cover this + commuting etc.

So £100 for a bit of used scaffold board is a minor incidental expense if you earn £80-100k pa, and rent a one bed flat in Notting Hill (or wherever). No point in wasting time looking for a better deal.

The act of buying something clearly over-priced and unnecessary is also a statement - either the Harry Enfield "loadsamoney" character, or the Del Trotter "what a plonker". Take your pick.

I think they would also cater to interior design and architecture companies who would bundle all this into the overall cost - so it's probably a good earner for SDS for their business customers

Edit: Just to add: I think it's ridiculous they are charging £100 for a reclaimed pine shelf. I wasn't justifying it, just making an observation.
Hopefully customers will vote with their wallets!

My initial thought was the same as everyone else's, extortionate!
But then I started to think. How long would it take to take a pretty manky, well used scaffold plank and clean it up and slap some finish on it? It's going to take a bit of work to clean it up, remove any old nails, maybe pressure wash to remove the grit and old paint. Then perhaps through a planer to smooth it out a bit, remembering that the blades are going to be ruined pretty quickly by any remaining grit. Add the finishing time on top and I bet there isn't as much profit in that as you might think before SDS add their own markup on top.

I think they would also cater to interior design and architecture companies who would bundle all this into the overall cost - so it's probably a good earner for SDS for their business customers

Edit: Just to add: I think it's ridiculous they are charging £100 for a reclaimed pine shelf. I wasn't justifying it, just making an observation.
Hopefully customers will vote with their wallets!
They can then make a shelf from it? or something have friends over for drinks and discuss the merits of upcycling. Feel good moment all around. LOL

Execp they wouldn't be making one, they'd be making probably scores.
True, might reduce timescales slightly but I don't think it'd be by much.
Thinking further, I would use a big drum sander. Only need to get rid of errant hardware and then run it through some 60 grit drums a few times. So, not so long or onerous and a pretty decent profit.

True, might reduce timescales slightly but I don't think it'd be by much.
Thinking further, I would use a big drum sander. Only need to get rid of errant hardware and then run it through some 60 grit drums a few times. So, not so long or onerous and a pretty decent profit.
Surely part of the "charm" of a used scaffold board is the grot. It needs to be clean but not sanded.

Part of the school of industrial interior design along with exposed scabby brickwork, steel beams, exposed pipework etc.

Done two kitchens now where Ive fitted reclaimed scaffold board shelving instead of wall units as part of the design at the customers request. To be fair they looked great.
One kitchen had a Belfast sink which went very well with the shelving.

It's not really relevant what your selling so much as how strong your web sales are. £76 /metre minus vat that's £61 shipping maybe £12 that's £49. Finishing cutting and packing maybe one hour £30/40 leaves £9 or so to buy the wood. It's not at all ridiculous .IMHO.

Latest posts

Back