Recommend lathe light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
As I am trying to learn on my lathe one of the thing which I need to improve is my light as the present ceiling lights just cast too many shadows. Can you recommend either light system or like machinist/ anglepois type lamp?

Lighting makes a huge difference. I replaced the garage fluorescent with a pair of led battens which has a big impact on general light for all that I do.

For turning I have an old desk lamp fixed to my wooden home made lathe stand, pop in a 4000 k white led bulb. If I am deep hollowing I use a cheap and cheerful Tesco led torch, about £10, which has spot and flood options and a magnetic base, plonk it on the bed, banjo or whatever and great on the Bandsaw too. Batteries last for months for intermittent use.

The one Phil linked to above is an equally good solution, I just had loads of old lamp stuff already..

Another thing, I have a board on a stand that I put behind the lathe to stop the shavings going everywhere. White ceiling paint on the board brightens things up.

Put an LED batten light above the lathe bed, or two, separated a couple of feet to counter each others shadows.
Any GU or MR style spot light on a flexible stem that you can clamp near the tailstock and aim towards the head.
I've had poor experiences with anglepoise and big machinists lights because the heads are heavy and they tend not to stay where you put them. A light that fouls the chuck guard or droops down onto the work is a real pain.
Bookshelf type clip or clamp reading lights are where I'd look.
Little USB / LED lights are feeble compared with 20 and 50 watt equivalent GU spotlights. They may not provide enough light and they aren't very durable.

As I am trying to learn on my lathe one of the thing which I need to improve is my light as the present ceiling lights just cast too many shadows. Can you recommend either light system or like machinist/ anglepois type lamp?
A diffuse light is better - fluorescent, LED battens etc. An angle poise or anything focussed ends up having to be moved about endlessly and can get in the way.
A useful add-on is a good head torch. It may be focussed but it moves with your head and line of sight! I bought Ledlenser - not cheap but on special offer. It's really handy for all sorts of jobs

I have a 2D fluorescent work lamp clamped to the roof of the workshop above and to the right of the lathe.
This adds useful additional light and does a reasonable job illuminating inside the workpiece when I’m hollowing. As it’s only held up with a G-clamp, it is easy to reposition as required.
I even had it clamped to a worktop opposite the workbench the other day to throw some light while I was doing repair work inside a narrow sofa arm

Have a look in the Chester machine tools store they have a wide range of lamps -we used a few of them at work on the machines- magnetic bases as well as those that screw to the wall or bench. They had GU 10 spotlight bulbs or halogens that gave good quality light, probably superseded by leds that require a whole new lamp when they pack up.
At home I have a couple of the articulated machinist’s lamps on lathe and bench that came from RDG tools, I think,
Avoid things that clamp to the lathe as they invariably get in the way at some stage. If fastened to the wall they can be folded away when cleaning up.
I have used Darey and Brandon medical examination lamps too, they have high and low settings and give a soft shadow free light but can be expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 0
Thank you everyone for ideas. For spot light and inside work I am thinking to use my bike light. Tried headtorch but it does not want to work well with my helmet/respirator. It looks to me like either free standing or wall mounted tubes as celing is partially blocked with stored roof box. Now time to save money to get it sorted.

I have high output LED battens on the ceiling. They were Fluorescent tubes but I replaced the tubes with LEDs. I supplement the lighting with cheap anglepoise lamps which have high output LED bulbs I buy at Ikea.
For hollowing and lighting inside boxes etc. I use a small magnetic LED light which attaches to the toolrest. These are available from Wood art products.

Even more food for thought especially as I also need to replace now a bit tired light on my slow grinder. Thank you gentlemen.

I have three of them, one on the bandsaw, one on the grinder and one over the computer. You need adaptors, though, or else to replace the plugs which isn't easy as the wiring is microscopic. Brilliant fo the money.

Back