They're pliers Jim but not as we know it (them)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with sideways comments in that they do not look like electrical crimping pliers which have shaped smooth anvils and not serrations, but could they be for crimping ferrules on wire rope or barbed wire ?

The three may all be the same size but think about the leverage, the one nearest the pivot has the most so could start the process with the one farthest out finishing to size, a possibily !

The three may all be the same size but think about the leverage, the one nearest the pivot has the most so could start the process with the one farthest out finishing to size, a possibily !
But the one farthest out is the same size..
Added to which, why would you need less mechanical advantage for the finishing squeeze?

I reckon that, with the jaws fractionally open( so still exerting pressure) all the cavities(for want of a better term) would be roughly equal in size, so capable of gripping three identical strands of something.
Having said that, I have no idea what. Rope splicing? I doubt it, as you'd probably want something that locked, to free both hand up.

Distilling the various comments I’m thinking the most likely use is to hold rods of different diameters. The outer one for the biggest diameter and the inner the smallest. This is suggested by the different radius of the three grips. I think gripping rather than crimping because of the serration. Perhaps for holding a cold chisel when someone is pounding it?

Vintage gas and burner pliers I believe.

Attachments

• 8303BDBE-B422-4EF9-A501-4D7F6DD27547.png
    8303BDBE-B422-4EF9-A501-4D7F6DD27547.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back