Combination Pliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit late to this thread but my combination pliers are Eclipse, some I've had for over 50 years. Older versions of these.
eclipse-pw21698-11-engineersft-combination-pliers-8-inch-200mm-5012095970293_2.jpg

Do Elliot-Lucas still make pliers, got mine must be 35 years ago and still used daily. I remember buying then from the then local ironmongers F.R Stubbs in York (unfortunately long gone) and thinking they were expensive but the sales assistant assured me they were the best.

pliers.jpg

Back in the day before their acquisition by Facom, and Facom by SBD, i had a pair of Britool combi pliers and wire cutters to match. They were very substantial and well made things, but more a mechanics plier than an electricians, so I sold or gifted mine on after a few years.
I just noticed a small legacy stock of the bent nose version of these "original britool" pliers on ebay.
No combi's on offer, but if you ever do stumble on a combination version of this :
Screenshot_20240817_224422_Gallery.jpg

they are a well made plier with induction hardened wire cutters that handle tough wire with ease.
It was interesting that the induction hardened zone in the metal was always very clear for some reason to do with the way they were finished. They had a blackened or dark gunmetal look that may have been PVD.

I snagged a pair of the Britools above. Very much as I remember the brand.

Here they are alongside a long slim pair by Teng which were bought for pulling long stringy swarf out of the metal lathe. You can't always get the turnings to run hot and break into smaller chips they way they should, so a pair of long nose or a swarf rake help keep your fingers away from being amputated.

Look at the wire cutters on the Britool. The induction hardened zone is quite obvious.

20240822_151439.jpg

20240822_151417.jpg

Latest posts

Back