That's it from me......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
laird":287q6t5u said:
Mike, idon't know what was said, and frankly I don't care. I have not needed your excellent advice - yet, but I have noted the quality of your answers to various, and many, people.
Your decision to leave is yours, but IMVHO the forum will lose a lot by your going and I, for one, would be pleased if you would reconsider.
The Laird

Mike ditto above. Please stay

Regards

Dave

Ironballs":240b673w said:
Don't go Mike and do like I do, stay away from what look like dull cyber-handbags threads, life is too short

Damian

Given his apparent strength of feeling about that jokes thread, and even though I don't know him, I wonder whether he would be able to just ignore such things?

Personally, with my "live and let live" attitude, I prefer to deal with people's perceptions / prejudices through education rather than condemnation.

Plus I don't like to be told, by others, what to think.

But as I said, I don't know the guy.

I only posted this thread because I thought it rude to leave without saying goodbye. I am touched by all the messages on here, but more so all the PM's I have received, which unfortunately I won't be replying to individually.

Thanks again.

Mike

Here's another Mike- please don't go, you know in your heart of hearts how much knowledge you impart and how you contribute to this site. :cry:

Mark :D

BradNaylor":2k170bem said:
Have I missed something?

Don't go Mike; you're a top bloke.

A thought occurs to me though; if you're this easily upset how did you survive the rough and tumble of the dressing room for all those years?

I agree with Brad here, your considered input will be sorely missed. I don't ever generate controversy 8-[ :whistle: :^o :^o on the forum but developing a skin like a rhino hide helps to shrug off the naysayers.

It may well be that after a while, when you've had some time to ponder, you'll come back to the forum, in which case you'll be warmly welcomed (it has recently happened to a certain person living in the wild lands west of the Tamar) even if your views on hand plane ownership are completely........... and there's only one word for it here...wrong :lol: - Rob

Mike.C":1g56va9b said:
mr grimsdale":1g56va9b said:
Yes, take no notice of the pineapples! We even have a few over there (naming no names) :roll:

Well the truth outs. I seem to remember that you were banned for your gob.

I was never quite sure.
I thought it was mainly because I was a bit sarcastic about St Jim K (RIP) the old fraud! I quite like his stuff really, albeit limited in scope and badly made.

Mike Garnham":13ypvmou said:
I only posted this thread because I thought it rude to leave without saying goodbye.

Mike

But that isn't quite all you did though was it? You laid the blame on just two individuals, and named them to boot. If you just wanted 'To say goodbye' why didn't you just do that?
It was a cheap shot, and a false one.

Wrong.
It needed saying.

But all of this could have been avoided if the OP had read the rules before posting, and the thread had been pulled instead of being allowed 'despite being in breach of the rules'.

I suppose I'm going to have to go and find this Irish thread just to see what on earth you lot are on about.

Mike G, I'll miss reading your posts, even if I haven't any idea what you're on about more than half the time - this is more down to my lack of understanding than your posting.
Also if you happen to come across some more Oak again in the future, bear us in mind ;).

Smudger":3p07u61l said:
Wrong.
It needed saying.
I was referring to the cheap shot in the "I'm going, it's all (insert any names you like) fault; no ... don't hold me back, err.... anyone??" post.

See, I can do cheap too.

And whilst we're on the subject of rules, isn't there one about not debating moderating decisions?

Mike Garnham":23tx1065 said:
Well, cheerio folks. It was good whilst it lasted.......

As a direct result of comments by Ray (Argee) and Mike. C a few days ago I will be taking my leave of you. I shall leave my "How to Build a Shed" post for a while, but will clear out old images in due course.

Enjoy your woodworking, and the GTG in Kent next week (sorry Tom, I'll give that a miss......hope it goes well). Build your shed's properly, and don't buy too many planes.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, you won't have seen many posts from me recently, (that's partly 'cos i broke my leg and couldn't get in the workshop) but I recall seeing a good few from you and always thought they were well thought out and knowlegible.

Please reconsider because to be honest UKW is one of the few forums where I've never really had a problem with other members and I have been on a quite a few not just woody ones :!: Some forums seem to attract trouble makers and while I don't know the particular thread you are refering too I really would urge you to stay, or maybe just take a break and come back.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me :!:

RogerS":270tiu0i said:
Smudger":270tiu0i said:
....., and the thread had been pulled instead of being allowed 'despite being in breach of the rules'.

Here we go again.

Indeed.
Do I really have to drag up some past jokes and comments, some told by the OP himself, to illustrate that what one person finds funny/offensive another may not and vice versa?
It is not for any individual to decide what should or shouldn't remain posted, that is for the mods(plural) to decide on the balance of reactions and by using their common sense. It is not up for negotiation as far as I can tell.

Very sorry Mike has decided to leave. He will be missed especially by the shed builders. Going by the number of posts he has made in a relatively short period of time I guess he may miss some of us too.
However if he's jacking the forum in because not everyone agrees with him then all I can say is, Mike your a big sook.

No. He's jacking in because when he said he didn't like something he simply got called names, and treated badly.

Guys,

I think enough has been said on this topic. If Mike wishes to leave that is his prerogative and like many, I am sorry to see him go. If you wish to explore his reasons for leaving beyond those he has given, I suggest you take it up privately with him - it's not going to do anyone any good to keep rehashing things here.

I've not been here long but I like it. However, after a while I started to see people who objected to an opinion fighting back by name calling. I am in quite a lot of forums, I used to be in about 200 and had to cut back :) Usually the moderators stamp on name calling heavily, I have been amazed that this doesn't happen here. Now we are loosing someone who posts a lot of interesting and helpful stuff because of more of the same (alegedly - I can't work up the enthusiasm to read the thread)

Sadly people need policing. If there is none this very nice place will die and that will sadden me because the average will have won. If you don't like someone or what they say then don't read their posts, if you find yourself writing abusive or simple F*** off emails or even well reasoned rebuttals please think for a day or so before you send them.

Please don't leave because of this, some of us value your opinion there is no point in leaving because of the others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back