Refelt or other cover my 8 x 16 shed roof?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the advice, still waiting on local quotes to re-felt though EPDM is looking most likely now as once the roof is cleared of all the old felt and nails, if I get someone to lift the roll up and centralise it, I can roll it to the middle, apply the glue, roll and brush out the air bubbles, turn around and repeat.
Once its laid and no air bubbles I can take my time sorting the edges and trimming battens.

I have just finished (nearly) building a roof over a deck I built a couple of years ago, I used box profile metal roofing sheets, plastisol finish, unfortunately they are not cheap. 5 x 3.8m sheets + 5 x 250mm barges was just over £500 with delivery, that dose not include fixings.

EPDM is good stuff; but since your current covering is for the most part still sound - apart from a minor leak or two... I'd leave it in place. Presuming it's overlaid onto some form of board - plywood or OSB and that is thick enough. I'd simply lay the bitumen corrugated sheets on top and use the correct/recommended screws (not nails...) to fix it. Your photo does suggest it's got a decent thickness of board under the felt; or that the roof is also shiplap boards as well as the main structure? Either will do on this occasion.

Onduline and Coruline are two brands that are about; the latter perhaps a tad thinner than the fomer and presumably a wee bit cheaper.

They come in large sheets (like all metal courrigated ) and also in smaller panels/sheets. And there are actuall kits designed for easy installation too. With the smaller panels/sheets all that is equired is to trim them much shorter panels to correct length and install. But as you have single pitch roof you'll be looking at the standard long soeets.

Onduline and Coruline come in a range of colours and have all the requisite trim etc. too.

There excellent videos out there showing how to install corrugated bitumen; and also Onduline/Coruline have their excellent guides/tutorials too.

Ripping off the present covering will be a PIA and you have to dispose of it afterwards... More than likely the present roof boards are adequate (thick enough) for you to (as above) simply overlay the sheets and screw down.

If you do opt for corrugated, review some of the videos first so ad to see how to install the sheets corecctly; both in terms of prevailing weather pattern in your area, and also how to add a second (upper) row) as likely the roof will require two rows.

Whichever... use the correct crews not nails (they come with sealing caps; it's much easier.

Last edited:
Another fan of EPDM here.

I don't know how, but I managed to do the 2 sections of my self built shed/bbq shelter single handed.

Easy with nice clean OSB or ply to glue it to. I used the fancy trims but battens would be fine.

As to lifting stuff up there my daughter has a 6ft strapping boyfriend who would assist if asked to get stuff up on the roof so that shouldn't be a problem. The rest I can manage still. I feel 40 in my mind, just the body cant keep up these days ;)
How about charging your daughter’s boyfriend £50 for teaching him how to felt a shed.😉

How about charging your daughter’s boyfriend £50 for teaching him how to felt a shed.😉
He's some sort of big time trials rider and charges multiple times that an hour training riders so I think I will be lucky to get him free for an hour to lift the kit up there ;)

Latest posts

Back