How easy is it to fit a kitchen?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Son and his partner's new home needs a new kitchen. They're tight on budget having bought the house and so want to fit themselves.
They've not got a huge amount of DIY experience, but are smart and detail conscious.
Feasible? Sensible?

My feeling is that they'd be ok - but it's not something I've ever done myself so that's just a guess. I can lend a fairly full suite of tools. I think they're looking at Howdens or B&Q or IKEA or similar - any reccos?

Would be interested in any first-time-fitter experiences!

I’d say it’s not for the feint hearted. Aside from the plumbing and electrical and possibly gas work there is a lot to consider. Is it flat pack units or pre built . What condition is are the walls behind the sink ( water ingress) is the plaster sound ? Regs for electrical work has of course changed so yours may no longer comply but if you are altering the position of any switches or sockets then these new rules will apply. The actual kitchen itself depends on the design and who plans it. Designers don’t always get it right and if you’re inexperienced you may not realise there is a problem untill it literally hits you . That said it’s not like building a spaceship if your general diy skills are good , you have all the equipment and tools then it can be done but again it’s not difficult to make a mistake that can cost hundreds.. my honest advice is to try and get some experienced help and of course be prepared to live on takeaways untill it’s complete. I don’t want to be a killjoy but I’d rather be honest

I’d say it’s not for the feint hearted. Aside from the plumbing and electrical and possibly gas work there is a lot to consider. Is it flat pack units or pre built . What condition is are the walls behind the sink ( water ingress) is the plaster sound ? Regs for electrical work has of course changed so yours may no longer comply but if you are altering the position of any switches or sockets then these new rules will apply. The actual kitchen itself depends on the design and who plans it. Designers don’t always get it right and if you’re inexperienced you may not realise there is a problem untill it literally hits you . That said it’s not like building a spaceship if your general diy skills are good , you have all the equipment and tools then it can be done but again it’s not difficult to make a mistake that can cost hundreds.. my honest advice is to try and get some experienced help and of course be prepared to live on takeaways untill it’s complete. I don’t want to be a killjoy but I’d rather be honest
Thank you - helpful

Took me near enough a month for a B&Q kitchen, oak worktops, wet plumbing (but not electrics), making good and tiling. We wanted solid wood doors on the units which limited choice a bit but would have given the option of re-painting 10 years later if they were starting to look worn. No complaints with the units that B&Q were selling 6 years ago. I wouldn't be too keen to repeat the experience (at least before I retire).

Thank you - helpful
The install costs are extremely high but so is the work . Don’t go into it blind , other members will have their own opinions and rightly so but don’t rush into it . Consider all the options like company install via interest free credit , getting some help as I said in previous reply, getting a quote for labour only install ,, if you do go ahead then you need to isolate any services affected- hot / cold water + gas if applicable ( gas safe engineer reqd ) then remove / rip out old units ,, think about the floor as it’s often easier to re tile the empty kitchen than trying to cut around everything once it’s fitted , plan your first fix - plumbing// electrical work / gas // etc and ensure that they are in the correct positions. Install and level base units but don’t fix anything yet . Make sure it all works and nothing clashes ( all doors open and nothing is obstructed. Fix in place , install worktops and mark out sink - hob - cutouts etc again confirm everything works and nothing clashes . Cut out and fit sink hob etc . If you get this far your now looking at the wall units and to be honest care is needed as most units hang from small brackets that have to be secured accurately and this can be difficult on plasterboard walls . So good luck and hope it all works out..

I've fitted a half dozen over the years and have found that there's always some glitch that hasn't been discovered until the work is half done. There's always a solution but adaptability and ingenuity as a non professional is key. I'm sure a pro would foresee and plan for such issues.

Having said that there is a lot of satisfaction in being able to say "I built that".

DIY Kitchens are a good supplier of ready made units, competively priced, but of course they take up more storage than flat pack.

I know it sounds crazy but get a few quotes from bespoke kitchen makers installed. I was looking to make my own cabinets for a utility, the cost wasn’t much different from the material cost for me to buy (18 months ago) and cheaper than the cost of Howdens units without fitting after discount.

I have fitted a couple of kitchens in years gone by.

The cabinets are no real problem providing you have measured accurately, thought about access and door opening conflicts, etc. They can either be bought complete or flat-packed - if flat pack sounds like a challenge just forget the idea of a self fitted kitchen.

Screwed together, placed in position, check for level, fix to wall is straightforward DIY stuff.

The more challenging bits:
  • as an amateur the idea of a complete strip out to a bare shell is rather daunting - but I suspect this is how it would be done professionally to allow electrics, plumbing, plastering, lighting, flooring to be installed.
  • if plumbing is broadly in existing locations - fairly easy. If fitting new plumbing for dishwashers, sinks in different place, washing machine etc it is a little more complex
  • electrics require compliance and sign off - beware costs of installing downlighters
  • plastering is a skill I have never been capable of bar the odd small patch - most jobs can be done with care and thought but plastering is more an art form (at least to me)
  • if DIY, select simple to work with materials - eg: laminated chipboard worktop not marble, tiles and flooring easy to cut, avoid complex design touches
  • you need a very clear thought through plan - difficult to add a new waste pipe or socket once cabinets are fitted, if stand alone cooker make sure the cabinets are at the right height etc
Be aware it will take 3-5 times as long as a professional fitter. Take-aways for 2 months is doable - but better if possible to set up alternative basic area - in my case a utility room provided running water and space for kettle, microwave, toaster.

Alternative is a compromise job
  • DIY - strip out room completely
  • plumber, electrician, plasterer in to do the "skilled" bits
  • DIY - fit flooring, cabinets, worktops, connect plumbing
  • DIY - tiles could be DIY but needs care to get good finish
  • electrician for final sign off

My feeling is that they'd be ok - but it's not something I've ever done myself so that's just a guess.
A cheap kitchen can be made to look good if fitted professionally but an expensive kitchen will look cheap if thrown in by a DIYer . As @Mickjay has said, it might all look to be going smoothly but it is when you hit some snag that it all goes pear shaped and here a professionals experience can really help.

I have done a few flat pack over the years but I'm no professional. Gas and electrical work NO, unless your qualified don't touch it, you probably invalidate your house insurance if nothing else, but keep a close eye on the professionals some of them shouldn't touch it either. Simple plumbing I use compression fittings since the lead was taken out of solder and don't entomb anything till I know it's water tight

If the walls and floor are sound and they have the patience to camp in the living room as it were then go for it. I always use Ikea although they have some odd sizes and fitting over pipe work needs to be planned I find the quality better than some of the others and their response if there are issues much better

Just a couple of points.
Old tile adhesive can be removed using a wallpaper steamer. The application of steam softens the old adhesive allowing it to be scraped off.
The advantage of Howdens kitchens are that most of the components are held in stock, so if you miss cut something or need an extra component you can get it same or next day. Some others you have to wait weeks.

It's far from simple if it's a half nice kitchen. If it 5 base units and a straight top...easier. if the only motivator is money then don't.
I've seen £15000 kitchens butchered. It makes little sense. Imagine being baffled by seemingly the simplest little step and put yourself in those shoes. Having tools is almost for granted. But people's abilities do vary I guess but under 50 most are inexperienced to say the least. I was splicing door frames at 9. And watching people fit mfi kitchens earlier than that.(I was fascinated by sticking down the high pressure laminate although the smell of evo stick never leaves you.)

Watch out for waste pipe dimensions. If it's an oldish property with original waste fittings then they'll need an adapter. Much better to get one ahead of time 'just in case'. DAMHIKT.

Compression-fittings were suggested. Pushfit and plastic pipe is even easier but make sure they use the proper pipe cutter (not that expensive...to use anything else opens up a world of pain. DAMHIKT

A small local kitchen maker did mine and fitted it for just a few hundred more than B&Q wanted for the units.

Hi, I've just finished fitting my first kitchen, newly retired so time was not a problem bought units from DIY kitchens up north. It's not for the faint hearted, and certainly not easy without the right tools and planning but worth it if you have the confidence. If you have limited DIY experience I would give it a miss.

Cheers

Definitely worth getting some quotes to quantify the DIY 'saving' - that might be a good way to move them off plan A. My first kitchen installation was an IKEA, and having done a few Howdens and B&Q etc things since, I still prefer IKEA, but they don't have a rear void so you need to plumb underneath and your space needs to be dry, square and plumb, or else you need some skills, or to choose a different kitchen. The upside is of course about 15% more cabinet volume, the benefit of which long outlasts the pain of installation in a small kitchen.

Thanks everyone. I might try to gently steer them away...
I would say it depends on their attitude far more than their experience.

We had never tried anything like this before, but managed fine. It was an adventure and good fun. Removed a brick wall (including some baffling internal patio doors, complete with lethal trip hazard that got every guest we had to visit) and made a utility room as well. Everything stripped right back, new flooring, new plumbing for radiators and utility sink.

Gas - has to be a professional, along with electrics as it needed a major rewire. We got a plasterer in as doing large wall areas was a terrifying prospect for a first go at it. The rest we worked out as we went along.

If they want to save money, but a second hand one. Kitchens are like lego - get something a bit bigger than what you need and rearrange the units. So long as the worktops aren't laminate, you can do anything you want. Our layout was utterly different to how it was in the sellers house. Powerpoint / bits of card on a piece of graph paper to work out the layout. Dismantling is easy, and units can be painted to really change the look. Granite worktops are heavy and need some care, but not actually hard to cut or reshape (the U shaped cutout for a butler sink was the only really hard bit to make look good).

You will be able to pick up something high end on eBay or FB for £1-2k. If the removal (and incredibly tedious degreasing) sounds too much stress, there are companies that do all this for you. Still looking at well under 1/2 price, and they will deliver.

Attachments

• kitchen 3.jpg
    kitchen 3.jpg
    168.3 KB
Definitely worth getting some quotes to quantify the DIY 'saving' - that might be a good way to move them off plan A. My first kitchen installation was an IKEA, and having done a few Howdens and B&Q etc things since, I still prefer IKEA, but they don't have a rear void so you need to plumb underneath and your space needs to be dry, square and plumb, or else you need some skills, or to choose a different kitchen. The upside is of course about 15% more cabinet volume, the benefit of which long outlasts the pain of installation in a small kitchen.
I prefer IKEA too.
Taller wall cabinets
Rail hanging system.
Easy to get replacement or extra parts.

I've fitted a few kitchens 6+ and I'm not the brightest spark.

It's not that difficult.
Tedious building the units, tricky to level up (if not using rail system) worrying to cut the tops.
But easily do able for anyone whose done a bit of DIY. I think that having a careful consciencous attitude could for more tbh.

You need trades if needing plumbing electrical work done.

Most difficult part is dog bone corners and neat edges.

Fitting a new kitchen will involve learning or having experience of several trades.

Tiling
Plumbing
Electrical
Gas
Carpentry
Painting
Floor laying

A DIY person could manage most of the work but not Gas or Electrical so you need professional tradesperson for Gas and Electrics.

Before attempting a kitchen you should first aquired good DIY skills using all the basic tools needed for the job.

Back