How easy is it to fit a kitchen?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Son and his partner's new home needs a new kitchen. They're tight on budget having bought the house and so want to fit themselves.
They've not got a huge amount of DIY experience, but are smart and detail conscious.
Feasible? Sensible?

My feeling is that they'd be ok - but it's not something I've ever done myself so that's just a guess. I can lend a fairly full suite of tools. I think they're looking at Howdens or B&Q or IKEA or similar - any reccos?

Would be interested in any first-time-fitter experiences!

I’d say it’s not for the feint hearted. Aside from the plumbing and electrical and possibly gas work there is a lot to consider. Is it flat pack units or pre built . What condition is are the walls behind the sink ( water ingress) is the plaster sound ? Regs for electrical work has of course changed so yours may no longer comply but if you are altering the position of any switches or sockets then these new rules will apply. The actual kitchen itself depends on the design and who plans it. Designers don’t always get it right and if you’re inexperienced you may not realise there is a problem untill it literally hits you . That said it’s not like building a spaceship if your general diy skills are good , you have all the equipment and tools then it can be done but again it’s not difficult to make a mistake that can cost hundreds.. my honest advice is to try and get some experienced help and of course be prepared to live on takeaways untill it’s complete. I don’t want to be a killjoy but I’d rather be honest

I’d say it’s not for the feint hearted. Aside from the plumbing and electrical and possibly gas work there is a lot to consider. Is it flat pack units or pre built . What condition is are the walls behind the sink ( water ingress) is the plaster sound ? Regs for electrical work has of course changed so yours may no longer comply but if you are altering the position of any switches or sockets then these new rules will apply. The actual kitchen itself depends on the design and who plans it. Designers don’t always get it right and if you’re inexperienced you may not realise there is a problem untill it literally hits you . That said it’s not like building a spaceship if your general diy skills are good , you have all the equipment and tools then it can be done but again it’s not difficult to make a mistake that can cost hundreds.. my honest advice is to try and get some experienced help and of course be prepared to live on takeaways untill it’s complete. I don’t want to be a killjoy but I’d rather be honest
Thank you - helpful

Took me near enough a month for a B&Q kitchen, oak worktops, wet plumbing (but not electrics), making good and tiling. We wanted solid wood doors on the units which limited choice a bit but would have given the option of re-painting 10 years later if they were starting to look worn. No complaints with the units that B&Q were selling 6 years ago. I wouldn't be too keen to repeat the experience (at least before I retire).

Thank you - helpful
The install costs are extremely high but so is the work . Don’t go into it blind , other members will have their own opinions and rightly so but don’t rush into it . Consider all the options like company install via interest free credit , getting some help as I said in previous reply, getting a quote for labour only install ,, if you do go ahead then you need to isolate any services affected- hot / cold water + gas if applicable ( gas safe engineer reqd ) then remove / rip out old units ,, think about the floor as it’s often easier to re tile the empty kitchen than trying to cut around everything once it’s fitted , plan your first fix - plumbing// electrical work / gas // etc and ensure that they are in the correct positions. Install and level base units but don’t fix anything yet . Make sure it all works and nothing clashes ( all doors open and nothing is obstructed. Fix in place , install worktops and mark out sink - hob - cutouts etc again confirm everything works and nothing clashes . Cut out and fit sink hob etc . If you get this far your now looking at the wall units and to be honest care is needed as most units hang from small brackets that have to be secured accurately and this can be difficult on plasterboard walls . So good luck and hope it all works out..

Back