Where to buy electrical cable 6491X

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for somewhere between 200 and 500m of 4mm2 in the usual 5 colours to wire up the workshop. Where’s the best place to buy it from these days and what sort of price should I be expecting? (I’m going to wire the earth in 4mm2 too)

I can see google getting a hit searching for what 6491X is...

No help otherwise.

However, why 5 colours, can you not just use 3?

What is it supplying, also how did you arrive at requiring 4mm ? Then is this armoured or ?

However, why 5 colours, can you not just use 3
Not if using it for three phase and neutral with a CPC . 4mm at 500 metres is a 1Km loop ! Must be looking at around a 10mV drop per amp per metre .

Ok, you slipped in the 6491 in the title ! so these are singles for wiring within the workshop. I would use 6491 B, the low halogen version for something more industrial that you are doing and readily available. Try TLC direct or Ewardes and should not be more than about £55 per 100 metres.

When wiring up, I anticipate that any socket could be single or 3 phase 32A, and build in redundancy. I’ve placed trunking around the workshop at ceiling level, so to get to a machine the wiring has to run around the shop. I have 12 machines that need wiring up, and don’t have their position determined yet. I’m hopeless at layout without actually moving the machines about. Luckily @Sideways has been press ganged to give me a hand / lead the layout. He’s brilliant at creating a layout / maximising space utilisation.

500m might be two much, however it might be more economic than buying a number of rolls of 100m. My last workshop had in the end 1km of cable, mostly due to machines moving and taking the decision in most cases to put new drops in rather than jointing cables.

When wiring up, I anticipate that any socket could be single or 3 phase 32A
Please explain. Three phase sockets, isolators etc run from the main board as individual radials from there own protective three phase device the same as 16 amp socket, isolators etc that run from there own single phase protective device and single phase sockets that accept fused plugs can run as a radial looped in and out so a string on a given protective device that would be 32 amps if run in 4mm. Here you need to do some thinking as you can run these in 2.5mm cable and use a 20 amp protective device bearing in mind that you will probably have several radials to different areas.

and taking the decision in most cases to put new drops in rather than jointing cables
Done correctly there are no issues, but good practice does state no joints within the trunking so you would need to use an enclosure so the cables exit and re enter the trunking with decent connectors.

Back