New Workshop - Saved around £12-15k

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdr1

Reaction score
Here are a few photos of my build timeline from an old shed to a new workshop.

Just for context, I have never built anything like this before, so shoutout to Liam @thegardenroomguru whose YouTube videos are a lifesaver!

I'm guessing I saved myself £12-15k by doing it myself.

If you have any questions, fire away.

Attachments

• Shed_1.jpg
    Shed_1.jpg
    862.7 KB
  • Shed_2.jpg
    Shed_2.jpg
    998.1 KB
  • Shed_3.jpg
    Shed_3.jpg
    817.9 KB
  • Shed_3a.jpg
    Shed_3a.jpg
    1 MB
  • Shed_4.jpg
    Shed_4.jpg
    892 KB
  • Shed_5.jpg
    Shed_5.jpg
    936.8 KB
  • Shed_6.jpg
    Shed_6.jpg
    811.9 KB
  • Shed_7.jpg
    Shed_7.jpg
    794.1 KB
  • Shed_8.jpg
    Shed_8.jpg
    1.1 MB
  • Shed_9.jpg
    Shed_9.jpg
    876 KB
Looks very nice.
I am always amazed at the prices of as it were "off the peg" wooden buildings, usually pretty flimsy too. Far better to do it yourself.
My latest is 4.8x3.6m external. 4x2 frame, membrane, battens and featherboards outside and T&G chipboard flooring boards inside. Roof membrane and corrugated bitumen sheets on battens on a shallow pitched roof. No insulation as just a storage shed. All on an existing concrete base. All in cost me about 2k.
Looking around the various garden buildings places I would be looking at 3-4 times as much for something made out of matchsticks.

Roughly how much has it cost to make?
Attached is a PDF breaking down all costs, down to the screws.

Worked out to be £5600. That includes all electrics, floor tiles, bunch of misc items etc.

Attachments

• Shed - Materials.pdf
    72.4 KB
Looks very nice.
I am always amazed at the prices of as it were "off the peg" wooden buildings, usually pretty flimsy too. Far better to do it yourself.
My latest is 4.8x3.6m external. 4x2 frame, membrane, battens and featherboards outside and T&G chipboard flooring boards inside. Roof membrane and corrugated bitumen sheets on battens on a shallow pitched roof. No insulation as just a storage shed. All on an existing concrete base. All in cost me about 2k.
Looking around the various garden buildings places I would be looking at 3-4 times as much for something made out of matchsticks.
I agree, crazy pricing, this is why I decided to do it myself.

I also got quotes from a couple of garden room builders, both over £22k for a similar size structure.

Attached is a PDF breaking down all costs, down to the screws.

Worked out to be £5600. That includes all electrics, floor tiles, bunch of misc items etc.
Wow, that is very comprehensive!
I saved a bit in that I already had most of the screws etc, I think the only thing I had to buy on that front was the spax flooring screws for the walls. I had an existing concrete pad from an old building, solid although the surface is just roughly tamped but ok for a store. Likewise already had cable and other bits and pieces for inside, left overs from house extension and big shed so just had to buy the consumer unit and some 4mm armoured cable to go up the garden. Already had 2.5 that would have reached but for a 30m run I went for 4.
Only have one double socket, lights and alarm.
Do like the lights, looking for similar to replace the old tube ones in my big shed.
Just goes to show what you can save, and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and being able to do it exactly the way you want.
Nice job, now you just need to make it untidy :)

Last edited:
Back