Who's got it better US or UK Woodworkers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not giong to get into a size competition of who has it better or worse, that's just the size it is.
Yes I'm fortunate it's that size but that still does not negate the fact that it's cramped.
"A good size double garage", if you have a mini and and a motorcycle.

I'm not giong to get into a size competition of who has it better or worse, that's just the size it is.
Yes I'm fortunate it's that size but that still does not negate the fact that it's cramped.
"A good size double garage", if you have a mini and and a motorcycle.
I think it’s a common situation that no mater what size your workshop is it is inevitably just a bit too small. Mines not much different in size to yours but guess what…

Woodwork is part of American/Canadian culture. Its a serious business. They have it much much better than us both in plentiful resources and extremely cheap tools.
My friend visits a woodwork club in seattle. It's very well attended. I do think consumerism tends to overshadow much creativity but fine woodworking is a wonderful magazine albeit with way to many similar articles(make a crosscut sled,) the thrust over the pond is hobby woodworking in particular furniture. I suspect joinery is large factory production just like over here. But I still love the American methods working around a quality table saw. Albeit spindles tend to not be present in most home shops.

I think it’s a common situation that no mater what size your workshop is it is inevitably just a bit too small
I think we just expand into the space we have, once filled we then think it is to small. Machinery is not cheap so with a very large area imagine how much you could spend, for me a nice sliding panel saw would look nice and a separate planer / thicknesser .

I'd like a bigger shop, once I start making large items it becomes a limbo exercise to get round them, current project 2 of these:

RE_W1.jpg

But it is what it is, you adapt, overcome etc...

As was mentioned I spend about half my time in the US and what has surprised me is the equipment, because they have much more space than us they tend to go for big OLD semi industrial bits of kit, partly because they have been so let let down by Chines garbage they have turned back to the good old kit from the 50’s but they are coming around to European stuff like an SCM planer thicknesser.

I'd say it's partly because of the quality of new consumer grade equipment, and also the availability of old industrial equipment at scrap prices in combination with available space.

Latest posts

Back