Who's got it better US or UK Woodworkers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree re costs of production, but I can't help but wonder if our main broadcasting channels could do more to educate people rather than just entertain them. I tend to find the formulaic format of missing the detail, emphasising whatever is in vogue, wrapped in politically correct presentation unwatchable. I also guess that people are less critical of YT content as many of the people delivering it aren't making much money out of it.
You forgot the time jeopardy which seems to be an essential part of any main stream production. I wonder how the TalkyHo would have turned out if they only had four weeks to complete it. It always annoys me when the main criticism from the judges is you didn’t finish it.

Actually there is a lot of educational material, but maybe not what you want.

It's east to poke at broadcasters like this, but coming up with any sort of balanced proposal that
You forgot the time jeopardy which seems to be an essential part of any main stream production. I wonder how the TalkyHo would have turned out if they only had four weeks to complete it. It always annoys me when the main criticism from the judges is you didn’t finish it.
Yes I did, it's that ubiquitous that it was sub conscious - I think there is a phrase somewhere about good, fast and cheap.

You forgot the time jeopardy which seems to be an essential part of any main stream production.
Silly comment. Time constraints only crop up in competitions, of necessity.
Other educational items on TV don't have time jeopardy, more of 'here's one I made earlier'

Silly comment? Name me one mainstream ‘crafts’ show that doesn’t include a time element?
I don't see anything silly in this, and upon reflection, as the 'national broadcaster', I do think the BBC should play more a role in educating the population than it does (beyond its woke agenda I mean).

Competition programs have time limits as part of the brief that the competitors are directed to abide by. If you don't like seeing people run out of time, watch something else, it's all part of the drama.
Educational shows don't have time constraints and typically use completed pieces as a reference.

The competition shows don't focus on any one thing and their scope is very wide but not deep.
Educational shows are not as popular (someone at the network thinks) and typically have minimal budgets, forcing them to abbreviate anything of depth that they want/need to show.

You're never going to see an hour long weekly program about how to cut a sliding dado, time constraint or not.

Competition programs have time limits as part of the brief that the competitors are directed to abide by. If you don't like seeing people run out of time, watch something else, it's all part of the drama.
Educational shows don't have time constraints and typically use completed pieces as a reference.

The competition shows don't focus on any one thing and their scope is very wide but not deep.
Educational shows are not as popular (someone at the network thinks) and typically have minimal budgets, forcing them to abbreviate anything of depth that they want/need to show.

You're never going to see an hour long weekly program about how to cut a sliding dado, time constraint or not.
That's why I don't watch mainstream tv very much (if at all), its brain numbing, dumbed down, formulaic. But if that's what the masses want...

On what subject(s) ? when ?

BBC leads the world with nature educational TV; Blue Planet, Life on Earth, Planet Earth.......
I do like those, but they just touch the surface, I would like more depth. Discovery, Nat Geo, PBS, History Chn, NHK also produce some good content. It would be great if there was more access to the BBC's back catalogue even on a subscription basis.

I would guess or perhaps bet, that if a network were to air an in depth craft program, wood, ceramics or whatever, that it would be much more popular than what they who are in charge seem to think.
I feel they may have lost their opportunity though. If something like I described were available during lock-down, it would have probably taken off. Unfortunately, all there was, was YouTube and if you don't know what to look for and discern what's good from bad, it just leads to the rise of bad habits and unsafe practices.
Which is where we are today.

Forgot stick my head above the parapet here. You Tube is only a platform and not a universal quality mark. There are some superb and very different ‘woodworking’ channels both North American and European.
1. Sampson Boat Company.
2. Manor Wood
3. Kris Harbour Natural Building
4. Matthia Wandel.
5. Marius Hornberger
6. London Craftsman.
7. 10 Minute Workshop.

Not a comprehensive listing (I do not have time).

Not all of the above are of the purist woodworking genre. But all very skilled chaps producing great output and much more watchable than anything on TV and of course much less contrived.
I enjoy Kris Harbour Natural Building
Last 8 yrs or so he's developed and matured. always good to watch.

Last edited:
Time constraints add drama. The public likes drama - who is going to finish first, will they finish, what mistakes have been made to finish in time.

Some folk just like uncertainty, good, evil, etc. It matters not whether it is a home makeover, cookery, motor race, cricket match or tiddlywinks.

Program makers make their money by attracting viewers. Promotion and the channel upon which the program is broadcast depends in part on likely viewer numbers. For a proper woodworking show I suspect numbers would be very small. Likely to be online rather than free to air.

A thought - improving the quality of offerings:
  • a publisher of woodworking magazines to host a quality controlled website
  • any videos not meeting reasonable standards of safety and quality would be barred
  • articles could be linked to sites showing equipment used,
  • videos linked to relevant articles
A sort of symbiotic relationship between publishers, equipment manufacturers and video makes, and a go to site for hobby woodworkers.

Time constraints add drama. The public likes drama - who is going to finish first, will they finish, what mistakes have been made to finish in time.

Some folk just like uncertainty, good, evil, etc. It matters not whether it is a home makeover, cookery, motor race, cricket match or tiddlywinks.

Program makers make their money by attracting viewers. Promotion and the channel upon which the program is broadcast depends in part on likely viewer numbers. For a proper woodworking show I suspect numbers would be very small. Likely to be online rather than free to air.

A thought - improving the quality of offerings:
  • a publisher of woodworking magazines to host a quality controlled website
  • any videos not meeting reasonable standards of safety and quality would be barred
  • articles could be linked to sites showing equipment used,
  • videos linked to relevant articles
A sort of symbiotic relationship between publishers, equipment manufacturers and video makes, and a go to site for hobby woodworkers.
I agree with you but there's one huge problem, other than publishers dying off every other day.
You get all kinds of grief when you decide to dictate what's safe and what's not.
I've been a moderator of a wood turning site for years, and at one time we wanted to introduce some video content. Well that didn't last long as we had to ban some videos for the safety content. We got accused of censorship and everything else under the sun.
There are no objective facts that people can agree on any more, none, not even safety.
Just look at table saws, if you're not using a SawStop, you get accused of being a Luddite and working dangerously. I fear the disclaimer for the program would need to be 59 minutes long.

I enjoy Kris Harbour Natural Building
Last 8 yrs or so he's developed and matured. always good to watch.
Yes Noel indeed, he is an impressive young man and although not woodworking I loved his hydro videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think without doubt USA wins in terms of the space they have available to them, I am always wanting more space here.

Latest posts

Back