Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andrew.

Now that I like! Even the wood type fits in with the shape, well done.

Found time to make some more woodshavings this morning - and what lovely long curly shavings they were :D

Picture168Small-1.jpg

Picture170Small.jpg

London plane,150mm diameter,50mm high,waxed.
Another new timber for me,and it cuts beautifully.

Andrew

Another piece found hiding under some shavings..

Picture175Small.jpg

Elm,200mm diameter,25mm high,finished with friction polish.

Andrew

I like that Elm Piece Andrew, the shape shows off the wood to good effect and the fine decoration round the lip enhances but does not overpower it.

Well done on the detail, not easy to keep fine detail crisp in Elm.

Andrew.
Glad to see you had a productive weekend. :D
Three lovely pieces with three lovely looking timbers.
I'll have to have a better look under my shavings to see what i can find :D
Paul.J.

Hi Andrew, the shape of the London Plane bowl doesn't do too much for me, but I do like the Elm bowl. Just that little bit of detail adds a lot to the look of the piece.

Not a criticism, you just can't please us all of the time. :roll:

Thanks for all the comments :D As we all know,this is a very subjective hobby,so none of us will ever please everyone,and sometimes the timber gets the last say as to what shape you end up with anyway :wink:

Todays new timber species :-

Picture176Small.jpg

Picture177Small.jpg

Panga panga,155mm diameter,45mm high,friction polish.
From what I've read,believe it is one of several species known as partridgewood,as the grain pattern resembles a partridge wing.

Andrew

Another nice looking bowl and timber Andrew.
Like the colour.
Though swmbo as now gone from dark woods to lights :roll:
Very nice :D
Paul.J.

Managed to make some "workshop time" inbetween gardening and household jobs :-

Picture180Small.jpg

Picture181Small.jpg

Oak,180mm diameter,90mm high,waxed.

Andrew

I like the oak bowl very much. It looks chunky without being heavy if that makes sense. Still trying to think in these foreign measurements tho' :lol: Is 180mm about 9"?

Pete

Bodrighy":cgxuv0ll said:
measurements tho' :lol: Is 180mm about 9"?Pete

7 1/8" in old money Pete, as if you didn't know :roll:

And I'd go along with Petes assement on that on as well Andrew.

After spending a couple of hours this morning re-arranging the workshop (including the roof insulation) to fit my new workshop air filter,I thought i'd better try it out.

Picture184Small-1.jpg

Picture186Small.jpg

American cedar,200mm diameter,35mm high,waxed.Not as strong-smelling as Cedar of Lebanon,but still pleasant.
So after making some dust and shavings,there was certainly a lot less dust in the workshop,and quite a lot on the outer filter.And my shop vac reaches the filter without having to move anything,so I'm quite pleased with it all :D

Andrew

Nice one Andrew-again. :D
Lovely shape.
I've been looking at these air filters,but can't see them working. :?
Are they supposed to just filter the air in your shop,in which case wouldn't your shop have to be sealed quite well,or have i got it all wrong :roll:
Paul.J.

Some nice bowls over the last few posts Andrew, and some nice timber. Keep up the good work.

Hi Paul, I've got a MicroClene 1000 in my garage (workshop) :wink: . These are supposed to be high volume low pressure filters, so the work shop doesn't need to be sealed as such. The MicroClene 1000 shifts 1000 cm2 per hour which is a lot of air, as long as you keep the main filter reasonably clear.

I think it does work better if you don't leave the doors open, but I am in the habit of switching it on when I go into the garage, and it stays on until I finish at the end of the day. I fitted a variable speed switch to it so I can shift to high speed if I think there is a lot of dust.

Sorry for pinching your post Andrew. :oops:

TEP":fsf7up5t said:
Sorry for pinching your post Andrew. :oops:

No problem,Tam - I mentioned the filter because I hoped it would be of interest in the woodturners eternal battle against dust :wink:
The Axminster one is rated at 600 cubic metres per hour airflow,which with my ..errr..compact workshop,should change the air every two minutes.
Normally when it is warm,I leave the workshop door open;today I deliberately closed it.Still had dust around the lathe,but didn't have any noticeable amount in the rest of the workshop.I have it mounted on the wall with the inlet at the tailstock end of the lathe,and the outlet pointing behind me.Didn't get stuffy,and wasn't in a draught,so first impressions are I'm glad I bought it.

Andrew

Thanks for the replies Tam/Andrew.
Powertool wrote
Normally when it is warm,I leave the workshop door open
Andrew this is the main problem with my workshop,it does get very,very warm in there in the summer months.Even today it's been quite cool outside,but it is warm in the ws.
So with the doors windows open won't you just be drawing air in from outside :?:
Or with the doors windows open be enough to circulate the air without the use of a filter:?:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

These 'dust filters' are actually what they class as ambient filters. They are not designed to extract the dust from the work spot. i:e: right on top of where you are sanding on the lathe. They are designed to filter the complete workshop atmosphere so many times per hour, and as such to help clear the lighter dust particles that can float around for hours.

I stand to be corrected on this but I believe it is the finer dust particles that are supposed to be the worst for us rather than the heavier ones. By rights you should have a dust extraction unit right were you are sanding, and the ambient filter clearing the whole workshop. (in the ideal world)

When I find the time my next project is a variable speed fan built into the wall at the back of my lathe, and just to the right of the head stock. The intention is during the summer months while it is warm I will suck all the dust straight outside. (as long as 'er indoors ain't got her washing out) :) It would also help to cool the workshop, of course it would chuck all the heat out in the winter, but IMO I reckon to get as much dust as possible out of the workshop is the best way forward. Of course you can revert to your other filter during the cold months.

Back