Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember where I sa it but somewhere I saw a workshop with a cooker hood fitted up over the lathe. Don't know ifit was effective but the general dea of a hood seems ideal for extraction of the floating dust if it works

Pete

Some more reduced-dust turning :-

Picture194Small-1.jpg

Picture196Small-1.jpg

Mgrure,160mm diameter,35mm high,finished in friction polish.
Shape and wall thickness both done to retain as much of the sapwood as possible (it's a "feature".. :wink: )
Tam - I was also thinking of fitting a fan next to the headstock,but after reading this article,was also thinking about building a timber store on the outside so warm air extracted doesn't get wasted. (Thanks to Chas for the original link to Laymar crafts website)
If you decide to do so,please let us know how it goes.

Andrew

TEP":1dxkva36 said:
When I find the time my next project is a variable speed fan built into the wall at the back of my lathe, and just to the right of the head stock. The intention is during the summer months while it is warm I will suck all the dust straight outside. (as long as 'er indoors ain't got her washing out) :) It would also help to cool the workshop, of course it would chuck all the heat out in the winter, but IMO I reckon to get as much dust as possible out of the workshop is the best way forward. Of course you can revert to your other filter during the cold months.

Thats what I try to do, get as much of the fine stuff outside, although I do have the advantage of a lot of south facing glass to warm the shed up, it is rare that the amount of air being extracted makes a significant difference to winter discomfort, less than I was expecting.
I have a AD1200 chip collector outside and a 9" extractor over the lathe.

Thanks for the link Andrew, I've seen that site before and there are some good ideas on it. I did think of the wood store idea, but was concerned about the dust mess it would create. I have racks all along one side of my house which hold drying wood, and they seem to do OK. Mind you when I first started it took me about two years to get a decent store of wet wood together. Now I just keep replacing what I use as the offers of timber comes along.

Chas, sound like you have already done what I plan. I have a Axminster chip extractor which exhausts inside. (never got around to building a house outside for it) but when I get around to doing it all it will be set up with it's exhaust outside.

One thing I do a lot of now is wet sanding using oil. I keep my worn out pieces of sand paper and use it for wet sanding, then I don't feel too bad chucking it. :oops: It's my Scottish ancestry coming out. (tight git)

This mornings piece,in the shape of a rice bowl:-

Picture198Small.jpg

Picture201Small.jpg

Beech,155mm diameter,40mm overall height,finished in friction polish.

Andrew

TEP":2fhy1qlt said:
Chas, sound like you have already done what I plan. I have a Axminster chip extractor which exhausts inside. (never got around to building a house outside for it) but when I get around to doing it all it will be set up with it's exhaust outside.

Tam, I built a lean-to cubicle outside the shed for the chip collector, fitted it with a coarser filter bag to increase air flow, removed NVR switch and and plugged it into an installed extension lead that is switch controlled from adjacent to the lathe, the chip collector has to be unplugged to wheel it out of the cubicle for servicing.

Shavings and sweepings from shop are intercepted by a crude plastic box trap and 6 months of extractor use generates no more than about 120mm of fine dust in plastic bag.

I just open up chip collector cubicle every few days and give the dust bag a good pounding, (collapse it into the plastic bag a couple of times) then promptly loose the first piece of sanding sheet up the pipe before I remember the increased suck.

DSC02165%20(Small).JPG
DSC02164%20(Small).JPG

DSC02163%20(Small).JPG

PowerTool":1s760opw said:
This mornings piece,in the shape of a rice bowl:-
Andrew
More of a classic shape there Andrew, to my eyes the lip presentation and the proportions of the base make the piece look lighter.

Chas, I like your extractor setup and I'm considering something similar. How much noise is noticeable outside the cabinet that it's in?

Worrying about noise is the main thing that's stopping me implement this.

Duncan

This mornings piece :-

Picture202Small.jpg

Picture205Small-1.jpg

Pau amarello,150mm diameter,70mm high,finished in melamine lacquer.

And yesterday,I cleaned the primary filter on the MTM with the shop vac (as I have done every time I've used it) and decided to take the main filter out to check it (expecting it to be clean) - was amazed at the amount of dust already trapped in it after making three bowls :shock: .

So very impressed with it so far :D

Andrew

duncanh":1w031d1u said:
Chas, I like your extractor setup and I'm considering something similar. How much noise is noticeable outside the cabinet that it's in?

Worrying about noise is the main thing that's stopping me implement this.

Duncan

Not too bad Duncan, but it is obviously a little louder than when the unit was inside the shed, on a par with having the windows open. The enclosure is just ply, no sound absorbtion added, I guess you could add some glass wool or similar to dampen some of it.

Fortunately I do not have a too much of a neighbor/noise problem as the unit is some distance from adjacent houses.

I took my unit outside and ran it, then walked around the area to see how bad it was, a lot depends on wind direction and weather conditions.

Some days a neighbor 200 yards away can here the the background hum when I'm working, usually when I have the windows open, other days it can't be noticed in my back yard.

Very nice again Andrew. :D
How do you get your pieces to look so clean and crisp. :?

Powertool wrote
was amazed at the amount of dust already trapped in it after making three bowls .
Andrew have you got other dust extraction in your shop too. :?:
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul (and Chas and Duncan) - also have a shop vac,which I have running when sanding,and always clean up between 1)turning and sanding and 2)sanding and finishing - find it too noisy to have on all the time :(

Andrew

Andrew.
My brother had a small vac in his w/s.Couldn't stand the noise it made.
He built a small cupboard outside to house it,made from some old plastic fascias he had,and a ply and felt lid.Made a very big difference to the noise.
Paul.J.

Thanks for the pics. of the extractor set-up Chas. Good idea the box trap before the bag, may try that. When I find the time :cry: .

TEP":2wj92jpe said:
Thanks for the pics. of the extractor set-up Chas. Good idea the box trap before the bag, may try that. When I find the time :cry: .

Tam, It would be more effective if box was deeper or round bin shaped giving a bit of a centrifugal nudge I guess, but it collects a significant proportion of the dross.
Evolution of shop layout has precluded anything fancier to date and it works well enough that boring another 100mm hole in the concrete block wall to re-route the pipe is not computing at this time.

First piece for the weekend :-

Picture206Small.jpg

Picture207Small.jpg

Beech,155mm diameter,45mm high,again finished in friction polish (I'm trying to use the bottle up.. :wink: )

Andrew

Back