Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul.J":b5ckal53 said:
Nice one Andrew. :D
Unusual shape,but nice grain pattern.
Was this one based on anything :?:
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul - shape not based on anything specific;there will no doubt be a subconcious link to Roman or medieval pottery,but I just started turning it and the shape seemed to develop on its own 8)

Andrew

Powertool wrote
I just started turning it and the shape seemed to develop on its own
Best way to do it some times i think Andrew :wink:
Paul.J.

Bodrighy":3n5xrp5d said:
You mean there is some other method of turning things? :shock:
Pete

Nope, but you are not supposed to let on to non turners. :wink:

It needs hours of contemplation and planning especially when you are trying to think of a way of disguising that last catch or unwanted 'feature'. :whistle:

CHJ":21tc2k2y said:
Bodrighy":21tc2k2y said:
You mean there is some other method of turning things? :shock:
Pete

Nope, but you are not supposed to let on to non turners. :wink:

It needs hours of contemplation and planning especially when you are trying to think of a way of disguising that last catch or unwanted 'feature'. :whistle:

or in my case you leave the catch, polish it and call it 'rustic' :lol:

Pete

I was looking at those Chas, seems like you pay for the holes, the more bits of wood that are missing, the higher the cost. Suspect that their finishing is better than mine tough, still need to practice that.

Got a Grip-a-fix by he way....works great except for one thing. If I hold it against the wood so that it spins in the wrong direction it flies off. Is this me doing something stoopid again or is there a secret to it?

Pete

Bodrighy":1a79eu2i said:
If I hold it against the wood so that it spins in the wrong direction it flies off. Is this me doing something stoopid again or is there a secret to it?
Pete
No it is not you Pete, answer I got when I raised the point with them was to tighten up the head real hard but that is not good enough as some of the threads have been tapped/died a loose fit.

Just fit a thin lock nut on the spindle and tighten it up against the head. have not had a "hunt the head" episode since doing that.

Isn't it great having a hobby that is unaffected by Bank Holiday weather :lol:

Picture214Small.jpg

Picture215Small.jpg

Goncalo alves,145mm diameter,50mm high,finished in friction polish (the bottle's nearly gone now.. :wink: )

Andrew

Thanks,Paul.

Due to spending most of Saturday doing gardening and fencing,and going to my daughters to hang vertical blinds today (and the workshop getting very warm due to the sunny weather) only found enough time to make this :-
Picture219Small.jpg

Black palmira,100mm square,40mm high,waxed (didn't fancy trying friction polish on those corners.. :wink: )
Also gave me chance to try out my new type "F" jaws so I can use smaller pieces.

Andrew

That's different Andrew. :shock:
I like the dotted effect on the bowl inside,end grain :D
Did you shape the underside too :?:
Paul.J.

Yes,underside is shaped to match the inside (or was that the other way round.. :-k ) - so is somewhat conical,like one cup of Madonna's famous bra :lol:
Funny stuff - like a lot of straws compressed together (hence the dotted effect);also have a piece of olive about 4" x 2" to make into something,but no idea what yet.

Andrew

No jobs that needed doing today,so got some time in the workshop before it gets too warm 8)
Picture221Small.jpg

Picture222Small-1.jpg

Mahogany,215mm diameter,50mm high,oiled.

And finally decided what to do with the piece of olive and my "F" jaws :-

Picture224Small.jpg

Picture225Small.jpg

95mm diameter,50mm high,friction polish.
Decorative rings made with my fluted parting tool (so much easier to use now I've discovered I've been using it the wrong way up :oops: )

Andrew

Very nice Andrew :D
Nice shapes,and i like the look of the Olive wood.
Yep it is starting to get a bit warm now in the ws :roll:
Paul.J.

I love that olive bowl, 8) as for the heat, I try to turn until around 6pm
( workshop doors open but in the shade) and do any finishing outdoors when it cools with nice cool glass of 'well earned' POP! :D

PowerTool":2ysbv9p5 said:
Decorative rings made with my fluted parting tool Andrew

Very prettily done Andrew, now lets see you do a matching one using the skew or spindle gouge :twisted:

Middle of June,and back to the threads original title - wet Saturday afternoon - lovely thunderstorm going on at the moment :wink:

Picture001Small-1.jpg

Picture004Small.jpg

Spalted elm,140mm diameter,80mm high,waxed.Shape chosen to keep as much of the spalting as possible.

Andrew

I like this one Andrew, it looks medieval for some reason, nice and simple. Nice piece of wood. How come it's that colour if it's Elm tho', my Elm has been a paler colour or is it just the camera?

Pete

Back