Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PowerTool":3a5ml9yp said:
Although I'm now seriously considering getting some -Accessory-Mounting-Jaws-to save having to bolt/unbolt the jaws each time I want to change.
Andrew
Ever thought of using a small cordless drill/driver with the appropriate hex bit?

Makes changing adaptors a much quicker task, and torque limiter aids even tightening, just be careful not to cross threads when starting with an ally cole jaw plate.

Very nice indeed Andrew :D
I do like the look of the Olive Ash.
Whats it like to work with :?:
And what's the Melamine finish like compared to Wax.Is it more hardwearing :?:
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul.
Olive ash is only different to ash in it's colour,so very nice to work with.
Melamine is more hard-wearing,very much like sanding sealer to apply (wipe on quick,as it dries very rapidly)

Andrew

So as consolation for not being able to go to the woodturning bash,managed to make some workshop time :-

Picture030Small-1.jpg

Picture033Small.jpg

Zebrano,165mm diameter,40mm high,waxed.

And have spent a couple of evenings this week making a rack for air-drying timber,using all the left-overs from other projects.

Picture211Small.jpg

So next weekend,will hopefully get round to converting some branches into bowl blanks,now I have somewhere to season them.

Andrew

Another "wet Saturday afternoon" - isn't British weather great :wink: (at least we only have rain,and not floods)

Picture034Small.jpg

Picture037Small.jpg

Afzelia (another timber I've never used before),200mm overall diameter,80mm high,wax on melamine.

Andrew

Powertool wrote
Afzelia (another timber I've never used before),
Yet another timber i've never heared of Andrew :?
Looks nice.Nice shape and finish.
I think we've had plenty of wet Saturday afternoons lately,apart from the one last week at the minibash :D luckily.
So plenty of turning time for you :D
Paul.J.

Something a bit different this morning (and another new timber for me),a little honey dipper:-

Picture040Small.jpg

Maple (lovely timber to work) 100mm long,no finish applied (but will in the future be covered with honey :wink: )

Andrew

Nice looking piece...the dipper. I have been intending to make one of those for ages along with alid and base for a jar. One day......

Has the bowl been undercut on the outside Andrew? It's quite an unusual shape. Did that 'happen' or was it designed
Pete

Bodrighy":buquzccq said:
Has the bowl been undercut on the outside Andrew? It's quite an unusual shape. Did that 'happen' or was it designed
Pete

No,it's not undercut - the lip is parallel with the base and the top.The shape is deliberate - I had been watching TimeTeam yesterday morning(More4 - 5 hours of it.. :D ),and there was a piece of old pottery of a similar shape,which is where the idea came from.

Paul.J":buquzccq said:
Another nice piece Andrew
Was it a wet Sunday morning too
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul - this morning was fine,so managed to get the chainsaw out and saw up and endseal some sweet chestnut.Then the heavens opened.. :(

So made this :-

Picture042Small.jpg

Picture043Small.jpg

Cherry,120mm diameter,35mm high,finished in friction polish.

Andrew

Looks a nice piece of Cherry Andrew :D
Seems all i have got as a lighter side to it.
Glad to see you've started sourcing your own blanks.I find it much more satisfying starting from scratch to get a nice finished piece.
Was this piece bought or sourced yourself.
Paul.J. :D

Paul.J":t28ytted said:
Was this piece bought or sourced yourself.
Paul.J. :D

Err..bought :oops:

99p off e-bay,seller lives in Darlington,so no postage costs :D - got a few blanks off him that were all "opening bid 99p" for the opening bid price (i.e. my bid was the only one)

Andrew

PowerTool":2wh6o1jw said:
I had been watching TimeTeam yesterday morning(More4 - 5 hours of it.. :D ),and there was a piece of old pottery of a similar shape,which is where the idea came from.
Andrew

It's an unusual shape. Wonder what the style was. Looks as though it would have been big and the lip would have beem used to lift it.

Pete

A small piece while I still have the small jaws on my chuck :-

Picture051Small.jpg

Picture052Small.jpg

Chestnut,135mm diameter,30mm high,finished in friction polish.

Andrew

PowerTool":3a9m3yvx said:
A small piece while I still have the small jaws on my chuck :-...

Economy of effort, I like it.

The overhead shot of that grain pattern says it all for me.

That looks really nice Andrew, the top looks as though it's convex in the photo, I assume that that is an optical illusion? Must see if I can find some scrap chestnut, lovely grain on it.

Pete

Back