Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought it was quite good;the maple cut in nice long ribbons.Took a bit of practice to find the right angle of presentation - to start with,it was very much "all or nothing" :lol:
Left an excellent,smooth finish.

What tools do you find easiest for hollowing ?

Andrew (always keen to learn :D )

My hollowing tool choice depends on how deep I'm going and on the shape.

If it's quite shallow (like a box) I may use a gouge or scraper depending on the wood.

Deeper than that then I may use the straight Sorby multi tip hollowing tool/scraper with either the tungsten tip or scraper tip (hamlet one I think - much thicker than the original from sorby). The problem with this tool is that if there's any undercut round the neck it can be hard to access.

Hollowing to about a foot or so I use the Monro tool. This is also useful for hollowing through a narrower hole as it has an articulated head and comes with extra linkages for more variations. This tool is excellent on wet wood (ribbon shavings well over a meter long flying over my shoulder!) but can clog quite easily on some dry wood.

I don't often go deeper than that but I've made a hollowing tool out of 3/4 inch steel and I can attach the sorby tips to it. It's over a meter long and is useful of shear scraping internal walls and bases of deep vases.

Duncan

I find the ring tool really useful but you have to be a bit careful as it can be quite vicious. You need to go a bit careful if you are aiming for thin walls as they can end up thinner than expected :oops:

Pete

This mornings piece :-

Picture072Small.jpg

Picture073Small-1.jpg

Spalted beech,225mm diameter,35mm high,finished in friction polish.

Andrew

Todays new timber - iroko.Don't have many new species left in stock,might have to go shopping :D :-

Picture076Small.jpg

Picture079Small-1.jpg

200mm diameter,55mm high,oiled.Shape inspired by Roman Samian ware pottery.

Andrew

Well after the recent debate on here,I've decided I'm still quite happy making bowls,platters and things,and trying different timbers and finishes,and posting pictures of what I've made (in a pleasant "weekend hobby" sort of a way - not planning on being the next Jimmy Clewes,just something done for the enjoyment of it :D )
So after spending Saturday gardening,and Sunday with my grand-daughter,been in the workshop this morning :-

Picture080Small-1.jpg

Picture082Small-1.jpg

Picture083Small.jpg

Ash,175mm diameter,75mm high,finished in lemon oil.Grooves highlighted with my first go at burning.

Andrew

Excellent Andrew me thinks :D
Love the colour and grain of the wood again.

I'd still be happy to see yours and everyone elses work,as i said before even if it is just to keep me going and to get some inspiration.
Paul.J.

And this afternoons piece (third time lucky for making a winged bowl - finally found a timber that would hold together on the corners :wink: ) :-

Picture084Small-1.jpg

Picture085Small-1.jpg

Anjan,160mm across (220mm between points) 50mm high,finished in finishing oil - only had one coat so far,will be getting more coats during the week.

Andrew

Veeerry nice!!

I have had a couple of goes at one of these and always ended up having to cut the wings off as they cracked and/or split on me.

Must try again with some proper wood (when I remember the combination number for the lock on my wallet :lol: )

Pete

Nice piece of work there PT, looks just right with the wings the same thickness from tip to root.

What's the timber, don't recognize it.

Thanks for the comments - took a while,because shaping the wings is all guesswork ("guess" where you are cutting it,stop the lathe and see if you were right :lol: )

TEP":1esvyqhm said:
What's the timber, don't recognize it.

It's anjan,from Axminster.(Bought it with my last order,to take it over the £45 limit for free delivery..)
Finishes very well,almost glass-like;chisels need to be sharp,though,or the end-grain tears out.

Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew, gorgeous figure in that wood. Down in my notebook to get some if I see it around. 8)

Two contrasting forms there Andrew, I too like the appearance of coloured Ash and as a wood it seems to take a variety of finishes in oil and wax based products well.

The winged form adds life to a dark medium that may have looked rather mundane in a plain bowl form.

Spent most of yesterday building a garden fence,but managed a bit of recreational activity with the chainsaw and the remains of a plum tree:-

Picture092Small-1.jpg

Hope the purple colouring remains.

And today,my first natural-edge bowl :-

Picture096Small.jpg

Picture090Small-1.jpg

Burr elm,130mm diameter,55mm high,finished in finishing oil.

Andrew

Looks more like 'Burnt' than 'Burr' Andrew, I guess there was a bit of gouge bounce doing that one.

Not thinking of changing your name to 'Pete' by any chance :lol:

For certain you will be pushed to see another piece like it, how did the sanding go 'other than very carefully'

Very nice Andrew :D
How come the Burr Elm is so dark :?:
That Plum will look lovely when turned i hope it keeps the colours.
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back