Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had time to make this before my grand-daughter arrives and throws my world into the sort of anarchy only a three-year old can.. :lol:

Picture130Small.jpg

Picture132Small.jpg

Santa maria,150mm diameter,50mm high,waxed. (Got the timber from John Boddys - had never heard of it before)

Andrew

Nice piece of work their Andrew. :D
Powertool wrote
Santa maria,150mm diameter,50mm high,waxed. (Got the timber from John Boddys - had never heard of it before)
I haven't heared of most of the timbers used on here before :roll: This is yet another new one.
Paul.J.

Another minimalist piece :-

Picture134Small.jpg

Picture136Small.jpg

Ash,200mm diameter,28mm high,oiled.Walls are 4mm thick,and it held on a 1.5mm chucking recess.

Andrew

This mornings piece :-

Picture137Small.jpg

Picture138Small.jpg

Muhuhu,140mm max.diameter,75mm high,oiled.
Another new timber for me - has a nice smell,works nicely (quite like walnut),although quite dusty.

Andrew

a big well done ! to all who have posted pics on this thread, all lovely pieces! have spent today cleaning and tidying my shed as had a bike in bits for the last two weeks, but its finally done now so can get back to what the shed is realy there for, turning! so hopefully in the next day or two i'll have something to post meself!!

andrew. a quick and easy way of making a box with grain line up is to turn a spigot on both ends then just part straight off where you want the lid to be, turn the inside of the lid switch and turn and finish the base, then friction turn the outside of the lid whilst it is fitted to the base, hope that makes sense! :?:

atb dave

Powertool wrote
Muhuhu-Another new timber for me
Another timber i've never heared of Andrew. :roll:
You like trying these timbers don't you.
Another nice piece though,and another nice timber by the looks of it :D
Paul.J.

Andrew, did you colour that piece of muhuhu, the bits I have are more yellow than yours, will post a pic when turned so you can see.

Chris

ctb":1zyee453 said:
Andrew, did you colour that piece of muhuhu, the bits I have are more yellow than yours, will post a pic when turned so you can see.

Chris

Chris, Andrews piece seems on a par with the only piece I have turned

Some I looked at today down at ISCA was the same colour also.

ctb":15coot94 said:

Chris

No Chris,that's just as it was - there is a bit of sapwood on the top rim,which is lighter in colour,but the oil hasn't changed the colour much ; although when turning it,the dust was yellowish.

Andrew

Well my muhuhu example bit the dust, I turned it beautifully in the shape and form of a roman bowl, with the Sorby texturing wheel I even cross hatched a band just below the rim, but whilst sanding the inside, I was not paying that much attention and bang, the sanding system I use got crossed up and smashed the bowl to pieces.

I did contemplate glueing the bits back together, with a dremel opening the glued cracks and filling them with bronze to simulate a recovered / restored bowl from roman times................. but thought pipper it.

Oh well, it's the first disaster for a long while so I cannot complain or be to dispondant over it.

So you will have to wait for my muhuhu piece, I have a mgurure piece that I did during the week to post on here, but have to photograph it as yet.

Chris

ctb":1zetqqea said:
I have a mgurure piece that I did during the week to post on here, but have to photograph it as yet.

Chris

That's okay - here's a piece I've photographed,but have yet to turn :lol: :lol:
Picture144Small.jpg

And made this inbetween random moments with the NVR switch :shock:

Picture141Small.jpg

Satinwood,150mm across,45mm high,waxed.
After turning some nice pointed wings on it and having them chip out three times,I chickened out and went for "flat and chunky" :lol: Will have a go at making a more delicate one some other time,but will use a more suitable timber.
Another new timber for me - finishes really well straight off the gouge,but very dusty.

Andrew

PowerTool":2dd4x9rx said:
After turning some nice pointed wings on it and having them chip out three times,I chickened out and went for "flat and chunky" :lol: Will have a go at making a more delicate one some other time,but will use a more suitable timber.

I have ended up with a few of those. I managed one by going as fast as my nerves would allow, making sure my tools were sharp and using a scraper working on the ghost. Still nothing like some of the papr thin ones some people seem to be able to turn out but at least it had wings.

Pete

Back