TV advertising quality!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe but not always for the right reasons. That stupid advert for Xero tells me that the product is not good enough to sell on it's own merit and that it is marketed by some right clowns whom you would not trust with your money. A good product will often sell itself and also from people recomending it to others, having to resort to expensive Tv advertising to shove it in peoples faces for me just screams out " avoid at all cost "
Yes, but subconsciously if met with that brand and a brand you've not heard of unless you actively think to ignore it, job done.

Maybe if you both lend your marketing strategy input to them, Xero could be worth even more that the billions they're currently worth? Perhaps they're hiring? ;)

As for the race sensitive folk above, what would you consider a good white to people of colour ratio to be? Should it reflect the company's country of origin or the UK regardless? Should it reflect the brand? If it's a football related product, should it reflect the country's non-white population or the ratio of white to people of colour footballers? Are there other demographics that are poorly represented? Who should decide what the correct ratios are and should they be enforceable by law?
Apparently since DEI has been largely ignored by U.S. universities the number of Asian students has increased, the number of blacks has decreased. Not the original plan.

In W.Cornwall we have NHS literature sent out with details of where to go for help in sixteen languages - Farsi, Tagalog etc. - the speakers of Cornish probably outnumber the speakers we have here of some of these languages (not that I am suggesting the details should be given in Cornish, that would be virtue signalling in the extreme).

Henry Ford - We know half of the money spent on advertising is wasted, but we don't know which half.

We should have maybe two coppers out of a hundred from racial minorities, London should have maybe 55 out of a hundred. Which part is Britain?

That's one that really does annoy me.. "It's Xero with an X..." Most companies that spent more than 5 minutes and 50p determining their branding stategy would have determined if you need to tell people how to spell your name so they can find you online you are already on to a loser.
Rather like very expensively signwritten vans and trucks which don't give anyone the foggiest idea of what the company actually does.:LOL:

which adverts used to be more successful at extolling the virtues of a product and or their practical uses?
Old advert for an early Fiesta - horsepower, number of gears, showed it easily overtaking a lorry and how much stuff you could get in it.

New advert for a car of some sort: diverse group of youngsters driving about a disused factory site, throwing powder paint out the windows.

Old advert for DIY shop - look what we have, good quality, knowledgable staff.

New “” - “Are you suffering from ‘house-barrassment’?” Whoever thought that up should hang their head in shame.

Companies only spend money on marketing and in a way where they think it will have some impact on sales and profit.

They know that half the money spent on marketing is wasted - but don't know which half.

They target activity on those areas which are likely to generate a positive response.

That this forum seems all but universally of the opinion that current marketing is superficial, irrelevant, meaningless, foolish etc etc is probably a reflection of the broad demographic of forum contributors.

Quite simply - I have no interest in laundry additives, poonami proof nappies, funeral plans, pop in the microwave fast foods, 24x7 grocery deliveries, cheap costume jewellery, etc etc. I am past the point of wanting to turn grey hair black, or own a car with a social media voice activated gizmo.

Millions obviously do - they are at liberty to be amazed by that available to them. TV advertising focussed on the latest tech available to say, bandsaw users, is unlikely - there are simply too few saddos (like me) interested to warrant the devotion of airtime.

The solution - switch the TV off - no point in complaint or criticism as no one is listening!

As for the race sensitive folk above, what would you consider a good white to people of colour ratio to be? Should it reflect the company's country of origin or the UK regardless? Should it reflect the brand? If it's a football related product, should it reflect the country's non-white population or the ratio of white to people of colour footballers? Are there other demographics that are poorly represented? Who should decide what the correct ratios are and should they be enforceable by law?
You make a fair point and certainly a diversity of skin colour across advertising should have happened years ago. But now because many companies are jumping on the "woke" BLM, virtue signalling bandwagon we now see a distortion in the balance and then that has a negative effect on what they are trying to achieve. It's in the same category as white policemen being ignored for promotion simply because they are white.

Same goes for many period dramas and others where the deliberate choosing of a non-white person in a role is highly unlikely to have ever occured in the period within which the drama is set. It makes a fool of the whole concept of trying to counter racial prejudice.

Apparently since DEI has been largely ignored by U.S. universities the number of Asian students has increased, the number of blacks has decreased. Not the original plan.

In W.Cornwall we have NHS literature sent out with details of where to go for help in sixteen languages - Farsi, Tagalog etc. - the speakers of Cornish probably outnumber the speakers we have here of some of these languages (not that I am suggesting the details should be given in Cornish, that would be virtue signalling in the extreme).

Henry Ford - We know half of the money spent on advertising is wasted, but we don't know which half.

We should have maybe two coppers out of a hundred from racial minorities, London should have maybe 55 out of a hundred. Which part is Britain?
Not only that, in the US many companies are abandoning DEI. Commonsense reigns.

Old advert for an early Fiesta - horsepower, number of gears, showed it easily overtaking a lorry and how much stuff you could get in it.

New advert for a car of some sort: diverse group of youngsters driving about a disused factory site, throwing powder paint out the windows.

Old advert for DIY shop - look what we have, good quality, knowledgable staff.

New “” - “Are you suffering from ‘house-barrassment’?” Whoever thought that up should hang their head in shame.

I found the fiesta advert, I think! I don't watch enough TV to know how it compares to car adverts now, but suspect you're right that they'll not have car details like this has.

Must say though, a bit woke back then to show a woman driver when the majority of drivers were men. So perhaps some things still haven't changed ;) Mind you, maybe they counterbalanced that with the kitchen sink!

I found the fiesta advert, I think! I don't watch enough TV to know how it compares to car adverts now, but suspect you're right that they'll not have car details like this has.

Must say though, a bit woke back then to show a woman driver when the majority of drivers were men. So perhaps some things still haven't changed ;) Mind you, maybe they counterbalanced that with the kitchen sink!

My Fiesta always handled better with a kitchen in the boot. 🤣

Youtube is obsessed with advertising 3rd quarter planing and that Adam is a tired 1/4 back at the moment, makes so many good videos unwatchable.

I’m very happy to pay the nominal amount they charge to avoid ads when streaming from their sites.
You may be but I'm not. In addition you are telling the broadcasters that there are people who are wiling to pay
That's one that really does annoy me.. "It's Xero with an X..." Most companies that spent more than 5 minutes and 50p determining their branding stategy would have determined if you need to tell people how to spell your name so they can find you online you are already on to a loser.
Seems logical to me. If you haven't seen the name you would presume it started with a Z
Give us a clue Phil. What's DEI?

Best advert for a long time is the hang gliding goats. Really well produced. I had to take note that it was for Virgin so that it would stick in my memory. Mostly I remember names for those companies or products that I avoid at all costs, so for those who say there is no such thing as bad advertising, there is in my case.

Last edited:
Quoted earlier that the annoying ads work, as you/we/I remember the product or company.. There is a lot of truth in that, however, take the current Curry's adverts, if I walk past a Curry's now I am instantly reminded of the stupid and inane adverts, which makes me realise its not worth visiting.
So yes the advert is memorable, and the ad company would claim that a successful campaign. but it's memorable for all the wrong reasons and makes you want to walk on by.

I'll restate how much I detest some adverts... But I must add that basing a decision on whether to use a company on how annoying their advert is seems buttocks about face.

Surely their human rights record, political bed sharing, sustainability, monopolising practices, tax avoidance, etc etc should be better determinants?

You may be but I'm not. In addition you are telling the broadcasters that there are people who are wiling to pay

Seems logical to me. If you haven't seen the name you would presume it started with a Z

Give us a clue Phil. What's DEI?

Best advert for a long time is the hang gliding goats. Really well produced. I had to take note that it was for Virgin so that it would stick in my memory. Mostly I remember names for those companies or products that I avoid at all costs, so for those who say there is no such thing as bad advertising, there is in my case.
DEI? Google is your friend. Diversity, equity and inclusion.

I'll restate how much I detest some adverts... But I must add that basing a decision on whether to use a company on how annoying their advert is seems buttocks about face.

Surely their human rights record, political bed sharing, sustainability, monopolising practices, tax avoidance, etc etc should be better determinants?
I'm more interested in, is the product "good"

Latest posts

Back