TV advertising quality!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are any number of ads that wind me up on TV at the moment, but of all of them, it's the "We Buy Any Car" ads that annoy me the most.
Made by, acted by and aimed at,... nothing more than simpletons.

As someone stated earlier in this thread......The dumbing down of T V in general is shocking....!

As someone stated earlier in this thread......The dumbing down of T V in general is shocking....!
Totally agree. We've gone back to watching Drop the Dead Donkey again. The sharpness of the dialogue is a joy to hear.

Not really adds for me, dont watch much telly, but get mad with the BBC news channel, and regularly send messages to them, for which I only get an automated reply thanking me for my input

latest one was politely asking them if they could recommend a screen size, that will let me see the whole picture without the BLOODY great red banner they use to tell me something is breaking news, getting in the way.

To many adverts think we are just plain stupid, look at the one where people get over excited about selling their car, yes " we buy any car " but they only show the first part as in the last part you would see reality sink in as they now have no car because they gave it away cheap and are walking home.

What I can't understand is with all the channels there are have the cost of adds gone more expensive or less it used to be priced on amount of screenings and when screened now with catch-up etc ?

@ey_tony - I’m curious as to when adverts were ever quality and would love to hear which ads you’re referring to and/or which era might be cited as the “golden age” of “quality” adverts. Similarly, @guineafowl21 which adverts used to be more successful at extolling the virtues of a product and or their practical uses? I’d genuinely be interested to know, especially if there were more of them compared to the inane back then, which seems to be the claim. Perhaps they were reflective of the kinds of products sold then compared to now? Perhaps they were before my time; although I’m guessing we won’t go as far back as the cigarette adverts that promoted – overtly or covertly – the healthiness of smoking? I’m going to guess that there’s always been a mixture of adverts that either:
1. Have nothing to do with the product, but have a “style” aimed at a target audience, and most likely irritable to those outside of that audience; or
2. Say something about the product that is in reality meaningless (if improvements in making “whites whiter” are true and progress has continually been made over the decades, our clothes would be so white you’d see them from space!).

Then or now, personally I think it’s more important to think about the company in question whose advert it is. Chances are that many or most, having the money to advertise on TV, will not stand up to scrutiny, and perhaps that should be the target of our vitriol rather than subjective views on whether the style of the advert tickles us or not. To use what feels wholly inappropriate a phrase for adverts, beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

Perhaps another of the benefits to companies who pile millions into advertising is the deflection that occurs. Much like how many were obsessed with Matt Hancock’s snog and Boris’ hair a few years back (thanks for that, MSM), here we are irritated by the Dove or Halifax advert, while that’s really the very least of the problem with Dove and Halifax. If we can’t look passed the surface and see into something deeper, perhaps we all should’ve gone to specsavers?

Chomsky has a lot to say about advertising in a wider context, and says it a lot better than I can. I think this is well worth a listen:

I’ll pick out a quote from the end of the conversation:

“…a market economy is supposed to be based on informed consumers making rational choices, that's what we're taught our economy is. Turn on the television set and take a look at the content, the ads. Are they trying to create informed consumers making rational choices? I mean, if we had a market economy, if there was an ad, it would be an announcement by – say – Ford Motor Company: here are the characteristics of the cars we’re producing next year, here's what consumer review says about them… That would create informed consumers making rational choices. It's not what you see. There's huge efforts to try to create irrational consumers, uninformed consumers making irrational choices to undermine market economies and to turn people into people who may even believe that what they want is to sit on the couch and watch television, but it's not what they want as human beings”

ASIDE: I think it’s also interesting to note the power adverts can have. Those bl00dy nodding Churchill dogs that used to be in the back window of many cars, meerkat teddies, etc etc. It even invades our everyday languague. Such is the intrusiveness of adverts. I still use phrases from adverts of my childhood, let alone more modern ones. And I hate the bl00dy things!

What I can't understand is with all the channels there are have the cost of adds gone more expensive or less it used to be priced on amount of screenings and when screened now with catch-up etc ?
I thought it was based on the size of the audience ? I've noticed that for some less popular programmes that the breaks are not always four minutes long as they usually are. Four minutes is a doddle to skip over using our Humax. Four dibs of the +1 min button and you're ready to start the next part of the programme. More and more now you've overshot and sometimes there isn't even a single ad in the break.

But I can't recall watching an ad since at least five years ago.

Some of the TV adverts that we used to get were brilliant and often iconic. The Leonard Rossiter/Joan Collins adverts stick out in my mind.

I hadn’t realised that the Peter Kay John Smiths adverts were so long ago …

What on earth has happened to the quality of TV advertising these days. I know there has always been cringe-worthy ads but just recently they seem to have added a whole new meaning.
In the past there were some good adverts in fact sometimes they were more entertaining than the program they interrupted.
Not these days. For example the Tesco add with those people lip-synching I've Got the Power is just too cringeworthy for words as is the Curries ad with their beards or equally nauseating content or even the Domino-oo-oo ad.

For me personally the poor quality make the adverts memorable but for all the wrong reasons...each time I pass the places that advertise like that I feel almost repulsed and even less likely to shop there.

Ads like the ' what3words' or 'Nationwide' are quite good examples of entertaining but when you get ads such as for Super-noodle it's absolutely awful.

Maybe I'm just getting old and turning into Victor Meldrew but I'd say an ad which entertains and gets the message across and doesn't make you cringe is more likely to be effective than one that does?
Am I the only one who feels like this or are there others out there who also cringe when they look at ads these days and if so which are the ads which get up your nose?
You are so right I agree with you totally also, I'm getting fed up with being the minority white race in the ads too. That should get some reaction I'm sure!!!

The thing with cringeworthy ads is they've done their job - the brand name has imprinted on you.
Maybe but not always for the right reasons. That stupid advert for Xero tells me that the product is not good enough to sell on it's own merit and that it is marketed by some right clowns whom you would not trust with your money. A good product will often sell itself and also from people recomending it to others, having to resort to expensive Tv advertising to shove it in peoples faces for me just screams out " avoid at all cost "

Maybe but not always for the right reasons. That stupid advert for Xero tells me that the product is not good enough to sell on it's own merit and that it is marketed by some right clowns whom you would not trust with your money. A good product will often sell itself and also from people recomending it to others, having to resort to expensive Tv advertising to shove it in peoples faces for me just screams out " avoid at all cost "
That's one that really does annoy me.. "It's Xero with an X..." Most companies that spent more than 5 minutes and 50p determining their branding stategy would have determined if you need to tell people how to spell your name so they can find you online you are already on to a loser.

Maybe if you both lend your marketing strategy input to them, Xero could be worth even more that the billions they're currently worth? Perhaps they're hiring? ;)

As for the race sensitive folk above, what would you consider a good white to people of colour ratio to be? Should it reflect the company's country of origin or the UK regardless? Should it reflect the brand? If it's a football related product, should it reflect the country's non-white population or the ratio of white to people of colour footballers? Are there other demographics that are poorly represented? Who should decide what the correct ratios are and should they be enforceable by law?

Latest posts

Back