TV advertising quality!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would that work on an iPad? I had a play around a few months ago with various browser/blocker combos and only Brave worked. Something about Apple restricting the scope of adblockers.
Very much doubt it, that's Apple for you.
Personally I wouldn't touch any Apple product with a barge pole, and MS the same once Win10 stops getting updates, detest closed systems.

Back on topic, it's not just the ads that are worse nowadays, TV in general has been so dumbed down for the masses that it's nigh on impossible to watch. Every time there's a Strictly type scandal I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude :devilish:

Does anyone know how to stop Prime interrupting a film for a few seconds to trail another film?

Very much doubt it, that's Apple for you.
Personally I wouldn't touch any Apple product with a barge pole, and MS the same once Win10 stops getting updates, detest closed systems.

Back on topic, it's not just the ads that are worse nowadays, TV in general has been so dumbed down for the masses that it's nigh on impossible to watch. Every time there's a Strictly type scandal I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude :devilish:
Very true. There is less and less that we record for later viewing. And Strictly has definitely passed its Best Before date.

For me, the days of fussing about closed systems has long gone. Been there. Got the T-shirt. Wrote the manual. Life’s too short.

I rarely watch TV now as it’s not just the ads that are dumbed down, the TV programs generally are too. This is particularly true of reality style programmes that have overly long title sequences and content repeated over and over again.

Also I get annoyed with the catch up services that disable the skip controls during the long ad breaks.

If you want an example of both at their worst, try Narrow Escapes on 4X. Me and Mrs HJ like narrowboating but found this programme unwatchable.
I didn’t measure it, but I reckon there was less than 30mins of original content for every hour of viewing.

Does anyone know how to stop Prime interrupting a film for a few seconds to trail another film?
It seems Amazon introduced the 'Ad Free' service in Feb (2024) an extra £2.99 per month on top of the Prime subscription.

From a cursory look, I thought Pi-Hole might block it, but apparently not. I'm guessing Amazon must be strapped for cash to make such a move :ROFLMAO:

I rarely watch TV now as it’s not just the ads that are dumbed down, the TV programs generally are too. This is particularly true of reality style programmes that have overly long title sequences and content repeated over and over again.

Also I get annoyed with the catch up services that disable the skip controls during the long ad breaks.

If you want an example of both at their worst, try Narrow Escapes on 4X. Me and Mrs HJ like narrowboating but found this programme unwatchable.
I didn’t measure it, but I reckon there was less than 30mins of original content for every hour of viewing.
I’m very happy to pay the nominal amount they charge to avoid ads when streaming from their sites. Shame Channel 5 has no such facility

What on earth has happened to the quality of TV advertising these days. I know there has always been cringe-worthy ads but just recently they seem to have added a whole new meaning.
In the past there were some good adverts in fact sometimes they were more entertaining than the program they interrupted.
Not these days. For example the Tesco add with those people lip-synching I've Got the Power is just too cringeworthy for words as is the Curries ad with their beards or equally nauseating content or even the Domino-oo-oo ad.

For me personally the poor quality make the adverts memorable but for all the wrong reasons...each time I pass the places that advertise like that I feel almost repulsed and even less likely to shop there.

Ads like the ' what3words' or 'Nationwide' are quite good examples of entertaining but when you get ads such as for Super-noodle it's absolutely awful.

Maybe I'm just getting old and turning into Victor Meldrew but I'd say an ad which entertains and gets the message across and doesn't make you cringe is more likely to be effective than one that does?
Am I the only one who feels like this or are there others out there who also cringe when they look at ads these days and if so which are the ads which get up your nose?
No, mate, it's not you. I've always abhorred ads. That's why I always record programmes with ads & fast fwd them when ever I can, or watch 'ad-free' players. Life's too short to spend 15 or so minutes of every hour suffering 'carp'. AS you say, "some programmes are bad enough", but that's easy -- don't bother with them. I tend to be very 'selective' in my viewing.
I've often wondered if anyone buys anything advertised, or are the ads just a 'Tax-Dodge' for the advertisers? Obviously, I know I don't. We're screwed for a TV licence, then have to suffer ads, or pay more to watch ad-free. The TV companies win both ways.

The commercial TV companies are dependant upon advertising revenue to exist.

Having obtained that revenue, they then, for a fee, offer the viewer the opportunity not to watch the ads.

Doesn’t that water off the companies that have paid for the ads in the first place? I would be.

It is not just on Tv, there is now an awful lot of you tube content that is no longer watchable because of stupid adverts. For me many of these adverts on Tv are just screaming out that I should avoid this company or product because it is operated or made by total clueless muppets. At least on Tv you can just put it on hold and then do something else and then come back and fast forward the adds.
My thoughts exactly, many, from what I've glimpsed as they whizz past in ff, seem pointless. AT least Eurosport ads refer mostly to connection with sport, that is unless watching live on 'Discovery +' (ad-free)

It's all the latest car adverts, with left had drive cars and the disclaimer that the specification shown not available in the UK, ffs why bother advertising it then 😡😡😡😡😡😡
I neither drive nor watch car adverts, but I'm with you on that one. :mad:
Wonder how many viewers miss the fact, as you say, the cars are LHD. :unsure:

Some YouTubers have very few ads, others the maximum amount, if you fast forward you get welcomed with an ad.

Lenor seem to have developed a series of adverts just to irritate me.
The one with the bed in the park - with the woman over-excitedly shouting "What is it?!" really wrankles, and there's another showing a bloke smelling his bed linen who mutters "OMG"...
On the other hand, the Nationwide "muffin me" and newer "wedge me" are brilliant.
And then there's the Gillette advert..."The best a man can get..." - Brilliant theme song.
For some inexplicable reason, it stops my labrador in his tracks - no matter what he was doing - he dives for the nearest toy and then feverishly wags his way to the TV, offering the toy!
The song does start with a low drone note, so perhaps it's pitched at a certain Hz?

It's to do with the people who make adds these days, employed with a university degree in media studies, What?????

Latest posts

Back