Sourcing Birch plywood - the good stuff!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a supplier for 1 sheet (8 x 4) birch ply in 9 (or 12mm) for a furniture project - it needs to have one side free of "plugs" and be long-grain (and the light Birch colour) so B/BB according to the standard specs

I've done a lot of searching but not found any supplier that will supply 1 sheet. Ideally I'd like a couple of cuts (if only to get it in my car)

Any recommendations please? (I'm in the Midlands but not too bothered where it might be located)

I've got a supplier for bb/bb at £70 sheet in 12mm bit less in 9mm.
Beautiful board though

Attachments

• IMG-20241018-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20241018-WA0000.jpg
    74.7 KB
BB will always have plugs.

James Latham in Dudley is not far from you. Quality will be good and they will supply one sheet in my experience if you collect. Not cheap but quality is good.

BB will always have plugs.

James Latham in Dudley is not far from you. Quality will be good and they will supply one sheet in my experience if you collect. Not cheap but quality is good.
Thanks - I'll give them a shout but another branch of Latham was distinctly unhelpful when I spoke the other day.

The sheet I'm looking for must have an area 1600 x 900 that has no plugs on one side (it's for a dining table top that will be clear-coated)

Interesting that it's listed as A/A (i.e. the best of the best) at a bargain price - a search on the address for the business (and Company No & VAT Reg) gives two residential addresses . .

I have to go Yorkshire in a couple of weeks so I'll see if I can view the actual board and if it's any good take it away (I'll take a saw and straight edge to rough cut to get it in the car!)

Take a look at each sellers details.
Both registered businesses, both in same area, postcodes different.

Could be related businesses, one has 4k items other 7k items.

A phone call before your up there would be worth it if your going to be in that area any way.

Take a look at each sellers details.
Both registered businesses, both in same area, postcodes different.

Could be related businesses, one has 4k items other 7k items.

A phone call before your up there would be worth it if your going to be in that area any way.

The description texts for the plywood from both suppliers are identical . . has to be same/connected business(es) - the differences are prices and carriage/collect options. Feedback is variable.

As you say it may be worth a look if I'm there - it's only about 15 miles out of my way.

I'm curious how they operate, I looked them up on companies house, neither have any stock value as such and one them, the only value it has is a car and and a PC.

They claim to be an IT consultant and a Business man...

ELT.png

I'm curious how they operate, I looked them up on companies house, neither have any stock value as such and one them, the only value it has is a car and and a PC.

They claim to be an IT consultant and a Business man...

View attachment 190663

I did all that earlier - but for small businesses Cos Hse data is pretty sketchy - still looks distinctly dubious - although between the two businesses they have ebay feedback of >7,000 ???

That's where I've no idea how this all works, when you don't even have the product to sell.

ebay is obviously just the "sales channel" for the underlying activity selling the van fit-out kits, dog guards and other stuff - there is no requirement for the ebay sales to be directly allocated to the business entity.

Did you Google the post code/address? It's a semi in the erm, 'back' end of Bradford.
That would be enough to tell me it's a non-starter.

I did . . . but I was being courteous and not judgemental in not saying anything!

I have returned the drawing board in my quest for plywood . . . .

Latest posts

Back