Keir Starmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I can't say I know too much about Irish politics so I'll take your word for that.
Purely out of interest and for my own knowledge, can you give examples of the British judiciary being duplicitous or disingenuous which warrants mistrust of the British Judiciary system by the Irish people and has the ECHR been used to overrule British law to protect Irish citizens?

If you can cite any instances I'd appreciate it. You don't need to go into detail as I can look them up when I have time.
Look up “internment”, “Guildford 4” and “Birmingham 6”
Now you could argue that these were failings of the government and the police rather than the courts, but it doesn’t really matter. What matters is the GFA necessitates the confidence of northern Irish republicans (and loyalists), and republicans do not have any faith in the entire British justice system, from police and MI5, to courts and government. You can tell me they’re wrong and should trust British justice, I could even agree with you (unlikely), but I’m in no way connected to the Irish peace process or any ex paramilitaries, despite having some relatives there I’ve never even been to the north, and I was born and raised in London. The people who need convincing are ex IRA and Sinn Fein, and you’re not going to convince them to trust the British courts, ever. This is why American and EU involvement in the peace process and the GFA were, and continue to be, absolutely critical

My old boss - and good friend - ended up as Governor of St. Helena. He said there's nothing wrong with it: a consistently mild - but wet and windy - Atlantic climate. But it's VERY small, and very mountainous. The popultion is just 5,000 people, and occupies most of the one available valley. There was - only with some exteme civil engineering - JUST room to build a small airstrip. So where are the tens or hundreds of thousands of failed 'asylumm-seekers' going to go?
Your post piqued my interest and it appears the number of asylum seekers covered by the plan to relocate to St Helena is iro 200. I’m not saying it’s inconsequential given the population size (and happy to be corrected if I’ve got it wrong) but it seems to be far lower than the number you suggest.

Your post piqued my interest and it appears the number of asylum seekers covered by the plan to relocate to St Helena is iro 200. I’m not saying it’s inconsequential given the population size (and happy to be corrected if I’ve got it wrong) but it seems to be far lower than the number you suggest.
200? So: 4% of the existing population. Apply that to the UK, and you get 2.6 million 'asylum-seekers' being housed. And 200 fewer of them will not make the tiniest scratch on the UK's numbers for deportation . . . .

And since the updating of the St. Helena government Immigration Regulations in 2022 [https://www.sainthelena.gov.sh/public-services/immigration/], there does not appear to have been any consultation between the UK and St. Helenian governments. St. Helena's immigration rules are "closely modelled" on UK ones. So those denied immigration status in the UK will almost certainly equally be denied it in St. Helena.

Last edited:
Just because we signed up to the GFA and ECHR does not mean we can't re-examine whether staying in it is a good or bad thing.
Societal changes, way of life and other things change with time. So something set up many years ago and still rooted in archaic logic may are may not make sense today.

I am neither for nor against it at the moment, but I do think it's membership needs to be reviewed under today's way of life and a determination as to it's benefits or restrictions still hold true for today's populous.

Withdrawing from the GFA would be absolutely disastrous. Do you really want British troops back in the north of Ireland, loyalist death squads killing lawyers and journalists, Republican paramilitaries blowing up targets in England? Innocent civilians in Ireland and England killed? I really can think of anyone in the UK or Ireland who would benefit from withdrawing from the GFA, it would be a massive act of self harm

200? So: 4% of the existing population. Apply that to the UK, and you get 2.6 million 'asylum-seekers' being housed. And 200 fewer of them will not make the tiniest scratch on the UK's numbers for deportation . . . .

And since the updating of the St. Helena government Immigration Regulations in 2022 [https://www.sainthelena.gov.sh/public-services/immigration/], there does not appear to have been any consultation between the UK and St. Helenian governments. St. Helena's immigration rules are "closely modelled" on UK ones. So those denied immigration status in the UK will almost certainly equally be denied it in St. Helena.

I’m not arguing it’s a good idea but it seems to have the full agreement and support of the St Helena Government …

https://www.sainthelena.gov.sh/2024...ture-british-indian-ocean-territory-migrants/

Withdrawing from the GFA would be absolutely disastrous. Do you really want British troops back in the north of Ireland, loyalist death squads killing lawyers and journalists, Republican paramilitaries blowing up targets in England? Innocent civilians in Ireland and England killed? I really can think of anyone in the UK or Ireland who would benefit from withdrawing from the GFA, it would be a massive act of self harm
Does that presupose that since it's been a few decades, then it can't be revisited and further agreements made.

That's like saying we had a death penalty in the past, therefore we should keep it today. Don't think that would be acceptable today, since public view has changed.
So why do you think the GFA is set in stone, life, society and times change so why not revisit the GFA and separate it from ECHR and make new and progressive negotiations to take account if today's society.

After all, we fought a world war with Germany, but today relationships have changed and we can work together, so we have the capacity to change if we give it a chance.

Status quo never progresses any nation or people, without constant dialogue things never change...

Does that presupose that since it's been a few decades, then it can't be revisited and further agreements made.

That's like saying we had a death penalty in the past, therefore we should keep it today. Don't think that would be acceptable today, since public view has changed.
So why do you think the GFA is set in stone, life, society and times change so why not revisit the GFA and separate it from ECHR and make new and progressive negotiations to take account if today's society.

After all, we fought a world war with Germany, but today relationships have changed and we can work together, so we have the capacity to change if we give it a chance.

Status quo never progresses any nation or people, without constant dialogue things never change...
Have you read the agreement Sachakins?

Last edited:

You are absolutely correct.

This is a very complex predicament and it does nobody any favours when they make carp up or repeat obvious carp or use it as political grandstanding or basically just tell lies about the back story or the intentions.

It has been characterised as a "Rwanda style" deal, which is pretty far from reality.
The false labelling is why people pick up the silly idea that "tens of thousands" or even sillier "hundreds of thousands" are what is being talked about.
But I'm guessing this is the intent of Talk TV and GBNews et al, to deliberately spread misinformation and whip up negative feelings. It's disgusting. Even as much as it is predictable.

The underlying issue is that British Colonialism has come back to bite. Hard. The annexation of Chagos was entirely unlawful and has been criticised under International Law for many years.

The big trouble is that there were a large proportion of "freed slaves" that were placed there, forcibly, by the Brits. (Because out of sight, out of mind...) They have disputed legal claim to citizenship in Chagos, and will probably be displaced after transfer of authority to Mauritius. They don't even call the place "home". But it is all they have.

The fundamental reason why this isn't really a "Rwanda style deal"... At the moment, under international law, any asylum seekers who arrive in Chagos and have their claims UPHELD then have a legal right to settle in UK. Because Chagos still falls under UK rule, however unlawful the annexation remains...
So, up until the full transfer, under transitional arrangements, it has been agreed that instead of accepting successful asylum seekers (Refugees) into UK, they will instead be transfered to another UK Territory.
I'm unsettled by that. However it is what has been agreed. But you'd really think that the very people who subscribe to "Stop The Boats" (Bleurgh) would be happy about that arrangement.

As I understand it, asylum seekers won't be transferred to St Helena "for processing", and failed claimants into Chagos will still be returned to origin, as is routine.

And as you say, the numbers of asylum seekers arriving into Chagos are expected to number into the tens or maybe hundreds. Not the thousands and definitely not the tens or hundreds of thousands. I've lost count of the number of times I've typed the word absurd on this thread. But the very thought that anybody would claim tens/hundreds of thousands being transferred from Chagos to St Helena is absurd.

In depth, no, in synopsis yes.
Two observations.

.....both sides agreed this should not happen on the Irish border, to protect the Good Friday Agreement, because it was feared the cross-border co-operation could be threatened if new checkpoints were set up.

I believe this was a mistake, and it directly dragged the GFA into a brexit agreement. And used the checkpoints for goods in transit as an excuse that they could be used to resurrect police checkpoints. Why, we have border checkpoints for other goods that work without the perceived cloak and dagger tactics from the judiciary, this was, in my opinion a ruse to tie GFA to Brexit unnecessarily.

Secondly;
....although the agreement does not specifically refer to the border, it does mention removing all security installations

Why was this deemed necessary, even though not specified, it was seized as an opportunity to keep open routes of unfettered access, should a return to armed sectarian conflicts again.
To me this represented no more than a statement of yes, we can stand down arms and terrorism, but we want to preserve a way that we can easily return to old ways with impunity for border crossings!

The GFA was signed in 1998 on basis of compromises and shared safe governance, neither of which has truly panned out, yes a reduction on blatant terrorism, but even today there still exists a level of threat, but not at a level that the mainstream media deems worthy of reporting, or has been directed to not highlight or widely report in UK.

You are absolutely correct.

This is a very complex predicament and it does nobody any favours when they make carp up or repeat obvious carp or use it as political grandstanding or basically just tell lies about the back story or the intentions.

It has been characterised as a "Rwanda style" deal, which is pretty far from reality.
The false labelling is why people pick up the silly idea that "tens of thousands" or even sillier "hundreds of thousands" are what is being talked about.
But I'm guessing this is the intent of Talk TV and GBNews et al, to deliberately spread misinformation and whip up negative feelings. It's disgusting. Even as much as it is predictable.

The underlying issue is that British Colonialism has come back to bite. Hard. The annexation of Chagos was entirely unlawful and has been criticised under International Law for many years.

The big trouble is that there were a large proportion of "freed slaves" that were placed there, forcibly, by the Brits. (Because out of sight, out of mind...) They have disputed legal claim to citizenship in Chagos, and will probably be displaced after transfer of authority to Mauritius. They don't even call the place "home". But it is all they have.

The fundamental reason why this isn't really a "Rwanda style deal"... At the moment, under international law, any asylum seekers who arrive in Chagos and have their claims UPHELD then have a legal right to settle in UK. Because Chagos still falls under UK rule, however unlawful the annexation remains...
So, up until the full transfer, under transitional arrangements, it has been agreed that instead of accepting successful asylum seekers (Refugees) into UK, they will instead be transfered to another UK Territory.
I'm unsettled by that. However it is what has been agreed. But you'd really think that the very people who subscribe to "Stop The Boats" (Bleurgh) would be happy about that arrangement.

As I understand it, asylum seekers won't be transferred to St Helena "for processing", and failed claimants into Chagos will still be returned to origin, as is routine.

And as you say, the numbers of asylum seekers arriving into Chagos are expected to number into the tens or maybe hundreds. Not the thousands and definitely not the tens or hundreds of thousands. I've lost count of the number of times I've typed the word absurd on this thread. But the very thought that anybody would claim tens/hundreds of thousands being transferred from Chagos to St Helena is absurd.
At this moment I don't believe the media estimated of 10's of thousands. Neither do I believe it's only about 200. Reality is at this point we don't know, but I think both estimates are likely to be massively overstated by the media AND greatly understated by politicians too.

At this moment I don't believe the media estimated of 10's of thousands. Neither do I believe it's only about 200. Reality is at this point we don't know, but I think both estimates are likely to be massively overstated by the media AND greatly understated by politicians too.

The 200 figure uses past numbers, records and experience as a guide to form an educated and historically substantiated estimate.
The ten thousand/hundred thousand figure is a deliberate lie.

If I understand your point correctly, you're implying that thousands would be the numbers you might expect, since that falls in between "hundreds" and "tens of thousands".

It would be interesting to return to this post in 18 months to discover whether you're implied expectation is anywhere near the truth, woukd it not?

It's difficult to observe the 'lasting impact' of Brexit on the heels of the pandemic and the subsequent downturn of the global economy.
How Brexit should be judged is open to question as no clear criteria were ever set against which success or failure would be judged. The waters are further muddied by the pandemic.

However in over 4 years since formal exit there is little evidence of success (and plenty of failure):
  • UK GDP and growth performing worse than most other major EU economies
  • a few trivial new trade deals despite the promises- most signed are simply a roll over of existing EU deals
  • trade stalled initially due to inadequacies in paperwork and processes - some now being resolved
  • no obvious material increase in inward investment in a UK free of EU regulation
  • no obvious improvement is productivity - possibly going in reverse with new regulations planned by Starmer
  • no progress on illegal immigration
  • cost savings of EU membership are indetectable against all the other economic noise
  • Northern Ireland issue still compromised
The people were sold, and sadly voted for, a pup. That it was ever going to be proven a success in 4 years was unlikely - the scale of the change would need a decade to prove itself conclusively.

Defence of Brexit - IMHO - is on very shaky ground. However - it happened and we need to make the best of it - look forwards not backwards - it will not be reversed quickly.

Latest posts

Back