Advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need to replace the tap washer but cannot remove the cap to get to the screw which holds the knob on .
The knob is loose on the splines but cannot get anything under the cap,even the thinist of tools to remove the cap
Any advice please
Alan

Here's the tap

Attachments

• 20241020_173858.jpg
    20241020_173858.jpg
    1.2 MB
I take it you mean the copper covered bit. And are you sure thats the part that comes off ? as usually tap turny bits are push on and come off as a whole.

Like drawing excaliber from the stone, get a good grip on the main part and try to pull it straight off

I think that gold top cover threads on to the chrome knob......I seem to remember fitting a brand new pair of similar taps back in the early 90's.....
Known as "Mixage" colour. Try gripping the chrome knob firmly and twist the gold top in the opposite direction....🤔

I think that gold top cover threads on to the chrome knob......I seem to remember fitting a brand new pair of similar taps back in the early 90's.....
Known as "Mixage" colour. Try gripping the chrome knob firmly and twist the gold top in the opposite
Just tried that, also on the hot tap but without success
Alan

It's amazing how much "stuff" builds up over the years making it harder to get stuff like this undone, do you have a Stanley or craft knife blade handy? Gently tapping the blade edge under the little lip of the cap should loosen it enough to start lifting, providing it is a push fit and not a screw. Some vinegar or lemon juice will help loosen any dirt build up too.

It's amazing how much "stuff" builds up over the years making it harder to get stuff like this undone, do you have a Stanley or craft knife blade handy? Gently tapping the blade edge under the little lip of the cap should loosen it enough to start lifting, providing it is a push fit and not a screw. Some vinegar or lemon juice will help loosen any dirt build up too.
Thanks will get some blades tomorrow and give it a go
Alan

Latest posts

Back