Cladding carport/garage.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
We're hoping to have an oak framed double carport/garage installed soon. Just the structure, I'll clad it myself in waney edge larch or DF, and possibly slate the roof as well, if I feel up to it.
We have absolutely no intention of ever insulating this structure, and personally, I can't see any point in wrapping it in Tyvek or equivalent and then battens to provide air between said Tyvek and the cladding.
Will it be ok to nail the cladding directly to the structure?
Am I missing something?

I’m struggling a tad with carport/ garage … reason is I see a carport as an open structure eg roof and sides/ side but open ended. Garage I see as a closed structure with a garage door , maybe access to the house from the garage etc . So my point is if it’s the former ( garage ) then forgetting insulation then my only concern would be security.. hope you get my point as I’m not trying to be awkward..

I’m struggling a tad with carport/ garage … reason is I see a carport as an open structure eg roof and sides/ side but open ended. Garage I see as a closed structure with a garage door , maybe access to the house from the garage etc . So my point is if it’s the former ( garage ) then forgetting insulation then my only concern would be security.. hope you get my point as I’m not trying to be awkward..
No problem. We may add double doors at a later stage, but we can't really leave the back and sides open, as that would leave our garden/paddock open to the street.

No problem. We may add double doors at a later stage, but we can't really leave the back and sides open, as that would leave our garden/paddock open to the street.
In that case it would ( imo ) depend on the thickness of your cladding but personally I’d like something else like ply or osb on the inside for extra strength and as said to make it a bit more secure . It doesn’t take much for low life’s armed with cordless tools to get in and be away with whatever they can grab .. insulation is tricky but if you have no intention of converting it into a workshop for example then plenty of airflow through the garage/ carport should be fine . Treated timber or drown everything in 2 coats of 5 star complete ( can be overpainted) should suffice ( Imo )

Latest posts

Back