Smart meter con ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think reading the thread again is going to help me understand irrational fears.
I do not think people have irrational fears over smart meters but genuine concerns that they are still in there infancy and we do still hear of many issues. With the older meters they are an established technology where they cannot be altered remotely, there is no communication so no external control.

The electricity companies want you to have a smart meter so that they can have real time info on peoples energy consumption and essentially a running tab on their income, at the same time they can give better tarrifs for off peak periods and so maybe when these meters reach maturity they might benefit everyone. The info might also help the DNO's with distribution loading so improving system efficiency.

But many of us do read it properly and I’ve not seen a meter reader in over 7 years. And 4.3 faulty Smart meters isn’t that great a technology. Please pay more attention to the thread.
Seems you didn’t read the whole article. The 4.3M were not faulty, just not phoning home. The fact you missed that indicates why you failed to follow some of my posts…

I do not think people have irrational fears over smart meters but genuine concerns that they are still in there infancy and we do still hear of many issues. With the older meters they are an established technology where they cannot be altered remotely, there is no communication so no external control.

The electricity companies want you to have a smart meter so that they can have real time info on peoples energy consumption and essentially a running tab on their income, at the same time they can give better tarrifs for off peak periods and so maybe when these meters reach maturity they might benefit everyone. The info might also help the DNO's with distribution loading so improving system efficiency.
Don’t you have to pay up front with a standing order anyway? That’s the normal situation. A smart meter should let them estimate far more accurately and stop the normal situation of you effectively being a lender to the electric companies

I know it’s complicated IIRC the electricity company owns the box and the company fuse. The utility company Octopus etc own the meter and the board that it is mounted on.
I think you will find that the meter is also owned by the supply company not the utility company who you buy your power from this week. If you change the company to whom you pay your bills to they do not suddenly turn up and change the meter/board. Also any meter faults/issues are dealt with by the supply company not the charging company.

I think you will find that the meter is also owned by the supply company not the utility company who you buy your power from this week. If you change the company to whom you pay your bills to they do not suddenly turn up and change the meter/board. Also any meter faults/issues are dealt with by the supply company not the charging company.
That doesn’t make sense. If that were the case then it would be Electricity North West who be asking to change meter. Not Octopus.

A quick Google confirms this.

The marketing ploy that somehow a smart meter will save energy is a nonsense. Reducing consumption requires behaviour changes (eg : only run dishwasher on full load), and/or physical infrastructure changes (more economical

Well, I read the thread yesterday but my replies were driected at yorr comment only. I don't think reading the thread again is going to help me understand irrational fears.
Try. You might learn hubris.

Seems you didn’t read the whole article. The 4.3M were not faulty, just not phoning home.
Not so.
If you do a bit of research you'll find many instances of overcharging and the real problem then is the time and hassle to get your money back.

Don’t you have to pay up front with a standing order anyway? That’s the normal situation. A smart meter should let them estimate far more accurately and stop the normal situation of you effectively being a lender to the electric companies

Not always the case either if you have the gumption to make sure the companies don't overestimate your consumption. There are also other ways available, my company take a direct debit payment every month of the exact amount based on my meter reading (or a valid estimate on the odd time I'm away) so I pay the exact amount in arrears not in advance. I can submit a reading any time I wish and if an estimate did look wrong a reading imediately generates a revised bill. Simples.

As an aside, anyone not on a fixed electricity deal (don't know anything about gas), should seriously look now before prices increase in October though it may now be too late as the companies usually remove or increase the costs prior to a general rise.

I went on to variable rate at the end of my last fixed term as I knew prices were dropping but took out a new fixed deal a few weeks ago anticipating the rise. It's the same rate as the variable was except no increase and can exit without penalty at any time if a better deal comes along so a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I'm with Octopus since they bought out Shell Energy last year.

Not so.
If you do a bit of research you'll find many instances of overcharging and the real problem then is the time and hassle to get your money back.

Not always the case either if you have the gumption to make sure the companies don't overestimate your consumption. There are also other ways available, my company take a direct debit payment every month of the exact amount based on my meter reading (or a valid estimate on the odd time I'm away) so I pay the exact amount in arrears not in advance. I can submit a reading any time I wish and if an estimate did look wrong a reading imediately generates a revised bill. Simples.
You also see over under charge with old style meters. The problem isn’t the meters… the debate is about the evil of smart meters. I have not seen a single argument that shows they have disadvantages compared to standard meters

The meter can't be owned by the retail companies that we buy our power from, we can change these every year and they don't buy and sell meters between each other aeach time we change.
Nonetheless, it is the retailing companies who take responsibility because those are the people we people we pay, and they must be responsible for accurate measurement in order to bill us accurately.
When you talk to a DNO about metering, they say talk to your billing company.

Many DNOs and energy retailers alike subcontract things to do with meters and to do with the power company fuse in your house to subcontract firms who manage teams of local workers who come to your house and actually make the changes. These firms win contracts with multiple energy retailers.
A few, but not all, of the bigger energy retailers have their own teams of full time, employed smart meter installers. OVO for example employ their own guys n gals who come around in logo'd vans and have done for several years. They put in smets1 meters and years later are back in the same houses swapping them for smets2.

You also see over under charge with old style meters. The problem isn’t the meters… the debate is about the evil of smart meters. I have not seen a single argument that shows they have disadvantages compared to standard meters
Smart. Meter’s. Can. Disconnect. You.

How many more times do we have to say this?

If the electric company tells it to. Same as if they send a guy with a pair of wire cutters. The difference is they can turn it on again much quicker.

Seems to me the only objection people have is that they no longer have the ability to game the companies by not paying their bills as it’s easier for the company to cut them off.

Surely that’s only a disadvantage to those who do not pay their bill?

I seem to recall that OFGEM tightened up the requirements for suppliers to seek resolution and take account of hardship by visiting the property before cutting off supply.

Surely that’s only a disadvantage to those who do not pay their bill?

I seem to recall that OFGEM tightened up the requirements for suppliers to seek resolution and take account of hardship by visiting the property before cutting off supply.
We've already discussed and discounted this line of reasoning. Mistakes happen. Fat Digit syndrome etc and sure, things can get resolved. Mind you it's going to be bloody difficult if you're without power.

If the electric company tells it to. Same as if they send a guy with a pair of wire cutters. The difference is they can turn it on again much quicker.

Seems to me the only objection people have is that they no longer have the ability to game the companies by not paying their bills as it’s easier for the company to cut them off.
We've already discussed and discounted this line of reasoning. Mistakes happen. Fat Digit syndrome etc and sure, things can get resolved. Mind you it's going to be bloody difficult if you're without power.

There’s really no need to get snarky and dismissive.

You may have discounted it as a line of reasoning. In my opinion there’s such a small chance of that happening it’s not worth worrying about.

There have been reports over the years of the sparky turning up at the wrong house and disconnecting the wrong meter. Yep mistakes happen but they can be rectified much quicker with a smart meter than without.

Basing your entire argument around mistakes is a bit weak.

There have been reports over the years of the sparky turning up at the wrong house and disconnecting the wrong meter. Yep mistakes happen but they can be rectified much quicker with a smart meter than without.

Basing your entire argument around mistakes is a bit weak.
I prefer pragmatic. Never mind, when you get accidentally turned off I’ll be thinking of you 😂

Latest posts

Back