Slipping F-clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_2

Established Member
Reaction score
This is for all the poor impoverished amateurs like me out there.

I just saw a Wallybois short on Youtube about how to cure slipping f-clamps, where he advises re-filing the serrations on the clamp bar to improve the grip. I think my solution is better, because it turns a knackered F-clamp into an adjustable G-clamp with not much effort or cost and the same clamping power as a mini sash cramp. Long life to all cheap as chips clamps.

If anyone knows a better way to do it, I would love to hear it.

Attachments

• fclamp1.jpg
    fclamp1.jpg
    326.7 KB
  • fclamp2.jpg
    fclamp2.jpg
    256.7 KB

I just saw a Wallybois short on Youtube about how to cure slipping f-clamps, where he advises re-filing the serrations on the clamp bar to improve the grip. I think my solution is better, because it turns a knackered F-clamp into an adjustable G-clamp with not much effort or cost and the same clamping power as a mini sash cramp. Long life to all cheap as chips clamps.

Excellent idea. I have a couple of very similar looking clamps and they have always slipped. I tend to use these clamps as a last resort when I need clamping to be done!

looks good, certainly save a clamp going into the bin, though I'd loose the pin in seconds, maybe put it on a cord attached to the sliding jaw?

Best way I found to fix these is to tap for a grub screw on the back of the part that slides up and down. Try to get the grub screw near to the top as this is where the pressure is applied when clapping. When tightening it will cause the grub screw to dig in to the shaft of the clamp and stop it slipping.

1. Remove sliding part
2 Drill 5mm hole in back near top.
3. Tap for 6mm grub screw
4. Use some threadlock on the threads
5. Tighten grub screw all the way.
6. Back grub screw out a little so that the sliding part slides up/down easy.
7. Grub screw will engage shaft when tightening and provide grip.

Ill try to get some pics, have done about 30 f clamps and have never been an issue since.

Sometimes slippage is just old crud and glue. I go to mine with a stiff wire brush first, normally solves it.
But I'll bear this in mind before I bin any clamps. Thanks.
Suppose it'll work on quick clamps too?

Latest posts

Back