Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a member of the Tetbury Men's Shed and we have just moved our portacabin from a scruffy industrial estate down the road to The Tetbury Goods Shed. It's the old goods shed from the now defunct railway station. We are alongside the old signal box and there's a finial at each end of the roof. The finial nearest our Shed was at a silly angle and obviously broken just above the roof level. It was taken down and I was talking to the blokes doing the job and said that I could repair it.

View attachment 187929View attachment 187930

Well, I decided to do it at home rather than on the Shed's lathe, more time and quieter. I chopped the bottom of, the broken bit, and turned a new bit for it. They wanted to keep of much as possible as it was the original from eons ago. That was fine, but when it came to getting layers (! of paint off I found the wood was well rotten! So I finished up doing the complete top section.

I had a nice oak off-cut from a newal post andcut the pointy bit on my bandsaw. The pointy bit is octagonal not round! That made it more interesting :rolleyes:

View attachment 187931

The rest was prettty straight forward turning and I enjoyed doing it. I was quite chuffed with the result.

View attachment 187932

Side by side

View attachment 187933

In situ and painted the colour for Great Western Railways. Funny really, when I was in the R.A.F. the aircraft desert camouflage was almost the same colours and it was commonly known as poo and biscuit, or something like that? Merde et biscuit for Sam :rolleyes:

It's the shiny top bit.

View attachment 187934
That's some gorgeous work 😍 those skills would be very welcome in our secret santa draw 😀 😉 🎅🤶🎅🤶

Spent a couple of hours sanding the play pieces for my balance game today, got all but the large willow discs done up to 240g, I'll do them tomorrow, will probably then do everything at 320g before deciding on a finish, not sure what I'll use yet as I've run out of Danish oil but I do have several others to chose from, they're too small to mess around with wax, I've already sanded the tip of my thumb away 🥴 didn't notice until I had a red game piece in my hand 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤦‍♂️
The pieces are (extremely) spalted Ash, Mahogany, Cherry and the large discs are Willow.
20240912_173921.jpg20240912_173924.jpg20240912_173929.jpg20240912_173934.jpg

I'm a member of the Tetbury Men's Shed and we have just moved our portacabin from a scruffy industrial estate down the road to The Tetbury Goods Shed. It's the old goods shed from the now defunct railway station. We are alongside the old signal box and there's a finial at each end of the roof. The finial nearest our Shed was at a silly angle and obviously broken just above the roof level. It was taken down and I was talking to the blokes doing the job and said that I could repair it.

View attachment 187929View attachment 187930

Well, I decided to do it at home rather than on the Shed's lathe, more time and quieter. I chopped the bottom of, the broken bit, and turned a new bit for it. They wanted to keep of much as possible as it was the original from eons ago. That was fine, but when it came to getting layers (! of paint off I found the wood was well rotten! So I finished up doing the complete top section.

I had a nice oak off-cut from a newal post andcut the pointy bit on my bandsaw. The pointy bit is octagonal not round! That made it more interesting :rolleyes:

View attachment 187931

The rest was prettty straight forward turning and I enjoyed doing it. I was quite chuffed with the result.

View attachment 187932

Side by side

View attachment 187933

In situ and painted the colour for Great Western Railways. Funny really, when I was in the R.A.F. the aircraft desert camouflage was almost the same colours and it was commonly known as poo and biscuit, or something like that? Merde et biscuit for Sam :rolleyes:

It's the shiny top bit.

View attachment 187934
Saw the original post this has nicer photos in this repost and the last photo shows just what an excellent restoration you accomplished.

Worked on a piece of eucalyptus for the first time this afternoon and accomplished a his and hers egg cup and egg shell bowl20240912_210622.jpg20240912_210231.jpg20240912_210539.jpgthe grain pattern in places are quiet nice but whilst working the wood I found small crack and holes appeared, as well as a little tear out in places. The tools were sharp and I really dont think the cracks and holes were bug infestation. Here's the Inside and bottom of the bowl20240912_210309.jpg20240912_210251.jpgand the side and beaneath one of the cups20240912_210042.jpg20240912_210104.jpgI'm wondering wether this has occured due the the wood being very dry, or prehaps because it was a bit of a branch. What are your options, has any one experienced this with eucalyptus or other woods ?

I have turned some but there are about 2000 to choose from. All are pretty hard (very hard compared to European woods) and have big shrinkage rates. A lot also have gum veins that can be full of hard resin. Did not get called gum trees for nothing. That looks like them in your photos. A look at the cut end grain can tell if they are there before you commit to turning a blank. Some turners make a feature of them by using coloured fill.
Strike block plane 001.JPGStrike block plane 006.JPG
The knobs on this shooting plane are ironbark. One of the hardest but will polish up very well. I have found the ones with the red coloured wood in general turn better and also avoiding sap wood helps too.
Regards
John

I have turned some but there are about 2000 to choose from. All are pretty hard (very hard compared to European woods) and have big shrinkage rates. A lot also have gum veins that can be full of hard resin. Did not get called gum trees for nothing. That looks like them in your photos. A look at the cut end grain can tell if they are there before you commit to turning a blank. Some turners make a feature of them by using coloured fill.
View attachment 187979View attachment 187980
The knobs on this shooting plane are ironbark. One of the hardest but will polish up very well. I have found the ones with the red coloured wood in general turn better and also avoiding sap wood helps too.
Regards
John
Thank you very much John a great help

Finished an Ash/Birch pot cover today for a colleaguewho loves the ones i made for my desk, the bark decided to break away but I managed to find all pieces and glue them back on. Then I turned a super thin little bowl with the centre of the birch piece.
View attachment 188036View attachment 188037View attachment 188038View attachment 188039View attachment 188040View attachment 188041View attachment 188042View attachment 188043View attachment 188044
Love the little one

It was 3times taller but I got greedy and broke through the wall so decided it will be an extra unexpected gift to go with the pot cover.
Adventures with a big cherry burl. With the on set of Autumn on the way, brings the cold and wet my thoughts went to the cherry burl sat under the garden table. Not wanting it outside for winter and having sudden a bit of go for it, the chainsaw came out and I went at it like a demented lumberjack. The results a few small chips
20240915_132233.jpg
and eight pieces big and small
20240915_132156.jpg
the first piece turned broke on me twice near the base whilst hollowing. Here its is just out clamps.
20240915_132408.jpg
whilst the glue was setting took one of the larger chunks and turned this
20240915_140021.jpg
and thats were I'm at, more to follow as and when, oh and Stig still looking forward to your phots of the finished pot and plant collection in the staff room.

Adventures with a big cherry burl. With the on set of Autumn on the way, brings the cold and wet my thoughts went to the cherry burl sat under the garden table. Not wanting it outside for winter and having sudden a bit of go for it, the chainsaw came out and I went at it like a demented lumberjack. The results a few small chipsView attachment 188161and eight pieces big and smallView attachment 188162the first piece turned broke on me twice near the base whilst hollowing. Here its is just out clamps.View attachment 188165whilst the glue was setting took one of the larger chunks and turned thisView attachment 188166and thats were I'm at, more to follow as and when, oh and Stig still looking forward to your phots of the finished pot and plant collection in the staff room.
Looking gorgeous 😍
Two more pots to finish, just having a pain with them splitting, hopefully I now have them sorted with a thinner wood base and thicker resin coat inside, also saturated the wood with CA on the bottom.
Today has been eventful, went out to start getting crimbo stuff ready for the shop next month, was given a load of boxes and bags so wanted to have a count of how many tree decorations I have left from last year, seems the bells didn't sell as well as the trees and teardrops, the snowmen sold out so will have to make more, think I'll need 100 of each to go in the boxes with some paint and a brush, all morning I kept thinking I could smell gas but then it was gone, about much time I was stood right by the gas meter and got a taste of it at the back of my throat so got out and called the 0800 emergency number, engineer came out and after running it detector all over everything it seems the leak is coming from the emergency shut off valve, God only knows how long it could have been leaking, right next to my head when I'm at the lathe 🥴🥴🥴 could explain why I've been so tired/exhausted the last week or so, feeling really carp right now so pretty sure I've had several lung fulls today.
20240915_123636.jpg20240915_142022.jpg20240915_142026.jpg20240915_142029.jpg20240915_142030.jpg

Looking gorgeous 😍
Two more pots to finish, just having a pain with them splitting, hopefully I now have them sorted with a thinner wood base and thicker resin coat inside, also saturated the wood with CA on the bottom.
Today has been eventful, went out to start getting crimbo stuff ready for the shop next month, was given a load of boxes and bags so wanted to have a count of how many tree decorations I have left from last year, seems the bells didn't sell as well as the trees and teardrops, the snowmen sold out so will have to make more, think I'll need 100 of each to go in the boxes with some paint and a brush, all morning I kept thinking I could smell gas but then it was gone, about much time I was stood right by the gas meter and got a taste of it at the back of my throat so got out and called the 0800 emergency number, engineer came out and after running it detector all over everything it seems the leak is coming from the emergency shut off valve, God only knows how long it could have been leaking, right next to my head when I'm at the lathe 🥴🥴🥴 could explain why I've been so tired/exhausted the last week or so, feeling really carp right now so pretty sure I've had several lung fulls today.
View attachment 188180View attachment 188181View attachment 188182View attachment 188183View attachment 188184
I can see why the snow men sell out very cute

Well I've officially be promoted to an archaeological genius after the missus had a look at what I've been up to with the cherry burl. Finished shaping the bowl bit damp in parts lotsmore to do with it
20240915_194322.jpg
20240915_195805.jpg
next up I chose a small piece an made an odd shaped dish
20240915_195642.jpg
then took a mid size chunk maybe I'll be able to get a small bowl out of this but as it was so unstable I stopped and filled up the cracks with epoxy glue and left it to dry.
20240915_195528.jpg
20240915_195610.jpg
Thats were I'm at for the moment.

Back