Needing Advice Please - Circular Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, I’m needing some advice please.

My elderly father gave me a circular saw (bought in 2007) and is branded Power Super which I’ve never heard of (please see photos). It takes a blade which is: dia.180mm with a hole dia. 20mm and thickness dia. 2.5mm

I’ve looked online and all modern blades have a hole dia. of 30mm which is to big.

My questions are these:

1) is there a place in the Uk which supplies the size blades I require? (If so if you have a website address, and a link I would be most grateful), if not,

2) is there an adapter I can buy to make the 30mm hole blades fit? (Again if you have a website or/and a link, I would be most grateful), if not,

3) is there a particular brand and make of circular saw you would suggest? I plan to have it useable by hand and in a table jig (which I’ll be building and making the template for it to fit into a table myself), so the bigger the blade for cutting the better. Especially as I will be cutting thick and long pieces of timber on it. It also needs to be with a power cable (not battery, be brushless motor.

Any and all advice is appreciate.

I need to sort this this week as I’m on a deadline so time is a factor.

Thanks again in advance,
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_9125.jpeg
    IMG_9125.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9126.jpeg
    IMG_9126.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Put these words into google.

"circular saw blade 20mm bore"

You'll get lots of results and a fair few at 180mm diameter.

As James says above, your saw will quite likely have enough clearance to spin a 185mm dia blade safely.

If you intend to rip planks, be sure to buy a 12 or 16 tooth rip blade not a general purpose or a crosscut blade. If you don't know why, use the search here.
And if, on the offchance, you are planning on making a DIY table to turn the saw over and use it like a tablesaw. Don't.
It's a dumb idea.
The last guy I called out for using one of those when he took his glove off (another bit of bad practice) was missing his index finger.

Put these words into google.

"circular saw blade 20mm bore"

You'll get lots of results and a fair few at 180mm diameter.

As James says above, your saw will quite likely have enough clearance to spin a 185mm dia blade safely.

If you intend to rip planks, be sure to buy a 12 or 16 tooth rip blade not a general purpose or a crosscut blade. If you don't know why, use the search here.
And if, on the offchance, you are planning on making a DIY table to turn the saw over and use it like a tablesaw. Don't.
It's a dumb idea.
The last guy I called out for using one of those when he took his glove off (another bit of bad practice) was missing his index finger.
So a table saw is best being bought as a table saw and not using one of these inverted? I’ve seen a lot of tables for sale which you put the circular saw into. Also quite a few YouTubers too. I don’t normally use power tools so I’m having to learn from scratch. I was taught by my elderly father the old way of using hand tools etc

The saxton blade likely be of a higher quality than the bosch one, and it is considerably cheaper too. A tablesaw relies very heavily on the fence being parallel to the blade, something you wil struggle with if just inverting a circular saw, you will also be missing the riving knife and blade guard which is never a good idea. A fair amount of YouTube woodworkers should be taken with a heavy dose of salt, frequently forgoing key safety features of many machines just to get a better shot with the camera.

The saxton blade likely be of a higher quality than the bosch one, and it is considerably cheaper too. A tablesaw relies very heavily on the fence being parallel to the blade, something you wil struggle with if just inverting a circular saw, you will also be missing the riving knife and blade guard which is never a good idea. A fair amount of YouTube woodworkers should be taken with a heavy dose of salt, frequently forgoing key safety features of many machines just to get a better shot with the camera.
I am all about safety. It’s Sod’s Law that the one time you don’t use or have something for safety, is the one time you need it. I don’t fancy loosing any fingers

So a table saw is best being bought as a table saw and not using one of these inverted ?

Exactly right. There are very few inversion stands manufacturered by reputable companies and which do it safely. The ones that do are actually more expensive than a self contained table saw.

The next lesson is to understand that 97% of youtube is populated by egotistical idiots who haven't a clue, don't care, and don't deserve to be watched never mind copied.

There are a few good ones. The members here will tell you who.
There are plenty of threads discussing safe use of power tools, especially table saws. Others on youtube channels that people actually respect. You need to take time to read.

The first thread that you should read, stop, and think about is this one:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...med-finger-graphic-description-images.145485/

We all owe BarbaraT a debt for that thread.

You've found yourself a good resource in this forum. Ask lots of questions. Read through existing threads and zero in on those handfull of youtube channels that are worth listening to among the chaff.

I apologies for my negativity @Thornley Marshall Designs.

But there are two things in your statements that really concern me:

in a table jig (which I’ll be building and making the template for it to fit into a table myself
as @Sideways has already said :
It's a dumb idea.
It really is a dumb idea don't even think about doing it.

And:
This is a recipe for a calamity, and no I will not be offering any alternative ideas at this time, for the sake of your health and safety.

Please stop, regroup, find a better way, and don't be pressurised into a deadline.

Buy a table saw! There are many out there for reasonable prices. Trying to make a tool do what it wasn't intended for will only end in disaster.

Hi All, I’m needing some advice please.

My elderly father gave me a circular saw (bought in 2007) and is branded Power Super which I’ve never heard of (please see photos). It takes a blade which is: dia.180mm with a hole dia. 20mm and thickness dia. 2.5mm

I’ve looked online and all modern blades have a hole dia. of 30mm which is to big.

My questions are these:

1) is there a place in the Uk which supplies the size blades I require? (If so if you have a website address, and a link I would be most grateful), if not,

2) is there an adapter I can buy to make the 30mm hole blades fit? (Again if you have a website or/and a link, I would be most grateful), if not,

3) is there a particular brand and make of circular saw you would suggest? I plan to have it useable by hand and in a table jig (which I’ll be building and making the template for it to fit into a table myself), so the bigger the blade for cutting the better. Especially as I will be cutting thick and long pieces of timber on it. It also needs to be with a power cable (not battery, be brushless motor.

Any and all advice is appreciate.

Thanks again in advance,
Rob
But it does say 185 mm on your box ,, are you going off information on the blade ..
Edit

Attachments

• IMG_4277.jpeg
    IMG_4277.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 0
So a table saw is best being bought as a table saw and not using one of these inverted? I’ve seen a lot of tables for sale which you put the circular saw into. Also quite a few YouTubers too. I don’t normally use power tools so I’m having to learn from scratch. I was taught by my elderly father the old way of using hand tools etc
I have a wolfcraft bench which has a steel flip top to which you can fit a saw or a router.
Never tried doing it as not at all convinced by the idea. The result would be at best a very poor table saw, inferior even to the £100 odd ones from Lidl etc.
At worst incredibly dangerous. Just pause and ask yourself the age old question, what could possibly go wrong?
The answer is quite a lot of things, many of which may result in you losing bits of your fingers or maybe an eye if you get a kickback.
A good purpose made table saw is one of the most potentially dangerous machines you will ever use.
Some lash up using an inverted circular saw is just making it even more dangerous.
There are plenty of complete knobs on You Tube who do some incredibly stupid and dangerous things with all manner of power tools. Just because they get away with it doesn't mean you will.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back