Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would try 9 sided dish as per Richard Raffan

20240821_174225[1].jpg20240821_174257[1].jpg

Not all went according to plan bit of spalted birch turning today all was goid till I stopped anddiscovered wood worm holes so did a basic hollowing finished the lid parted the piece
20240823_200527.jpg
20240823_200414.jpg
popped indoors and nuked it in the microwave to kill anything that might be alive in the wood and now
20240823_200345.jpg
its my holder for the small glue tubes I have. Grab the next piece next to it and turned this lidded jar to see if this was infected to. Lucky for me not infected. So fingers crossed it was a one of
20240823_201006.jpg
20240823_200936.jpg
20240823_200823.jpg
20240823_200803.jpg
20240823_201148.jpg
20240823_201036.jpg

Nice surprise bad suprise. After making the small scoop from JCs fire wood, I recalled Richard Raffins u-tube vidio on his signature scoop and bowl so have sarted working on a few sets from two bits of ash of the same length, one triangular and the other square. After measuring decided to cut into 4 then processed ready for turning. The rest of the day was spent devolving the scoop and bowl design and came up with these
20240827_151835.jpg
17247766607474640325204598310719.jpg
Sat at the table reflecting on these two it dawned on me that the bowl was a differnt wood. So using google lens found it to be olive ash. (Nice suprise) Such a lovely wood so changed my plan and decided to put it back on the lathe for a complete re-sandingt o get rid of the niggling marks and the faint tear out I could feel on top of the lid, then finish. Here is what I was hoping for
20240827_181459.jpg
20240827_181613.jpg
20240827_181639.jpg
20240827_181235.jpg
But in my caution not to over stress the wood the jaw was not tight enough and the bowl came adrift as I parted the tenon. (Bad suprise)
20240827_181408.jpg
20240827_181059.jpg
A bit gutted to say the least. But on the bright side I've got a lovely lid for a future project and I'll re-turn the bottom half to sort out the rim. So Olive Ash what do you think. The end grain is darker than the long grain. Much harder than the ash and regularly had to resharpen the tools.

Nice surprise bad suprise. After making the small scoop from JCs fire wood, I recalled Richard Raffins u-tube vidio on his signature scoop and bowl so have sarted working on a few sets from two bits of ash of the same length, one triangular and the other square. After measuring decided to cut into 4 then processed ready for turning. The rest of the day was spent devolving the scoop and bowl design and came up with theseView attachment 186942View attachment 186943Sat at the table reflecting on these two it dawned on me that the bowl was a differnt wood. So using google lens found it to be olive ash. (Nice suprise) Such a lovely wood so changed my plan and decided to put it back on the lathe for a complete re-sandingt o get rid of the niggling marks and the faint tear out I could feel on top of the lid, then finish. Here is what I was hoping forView attachment 186944View attachment 186945View attachment 186946View attachment 186947But in my caution not to over stress the wood the jaw was not tight enough and the bowl came adrift as I parted the tenon. (Bad suprise) View attachment 186951View attachment 186952A bit gutted to say the least. But on the bright side I've got a lovely lid for a future project and I'll re-turn the bottom half to sort out the rim. So Olive Ash what do you think. The end grain is darker than the long grain. Much harder than the ash and regularly had to resharpen the tools.
I've had/got quite a lot of olive ash, it's beautiful but as you say does wear the cutting edge fairly quickly, I love the two tone colouration 😁.

So yesterday I turned the last 2 pot covers from a long piece of cherry I was gifted by a fellow member about 2.5 years ago, it has developed some amazing spalting but is still cracking once cut, I had to work fairly quickly to get them turned and finished so I could line with resin, put a pretty thick resin coat in these two to help prevent any disastrous splits.
20240826_192748.jpg20240826_192802.jpg20240826_192813.jpg20240826_192817.jpg

Today's turning is a game that has been in my head for a while, I have no idea if it already exists or if its a new idea but I'm calling it hangman's ballance, a few improvements are needed,
-firstly the base is too small/light so either I need to remount it, hollow and add weights which I don't think will be as simple as it sounds, I could drill another hole nearer the edge and make a finial or something to fill the centre but I'm not confident the side won't break out from the pressure.
- the disc isn't balanced at all but I'm not sure how to fix this
The base is Spalted Birch, the hangman is Beech from an old sports bench as is the little cone under the disc, the disc itself is also Beech made from a piece of kitchen worktop.
I still have the game pieces to make which will be a great use of scraps, using different and shapes mean players need to think about the piece they place
20240827_192839.jpg20240827_192847.jpg20240827_192857.jpg20240827_192859.jpg20240827_193010.jpg20240827_193015.jpg

Today's turning is a game that has been in my head for a while, I have no idea if it already exists or if its a new idea but I'm calling it hangman's ballance, a few improvements are needed,
-firstly the base is too small/light so either I need to remount it, hollow and add weights which I don't think will be as simple as it sounds, I could drill another hole nearer the edge and make a finial or something to fill the centre but I'm not confident the side won't break out from the pressure.
The base is Spalted Birch, the hangman is Beech from an old sports bench as is the little cone under the disc, the disc itself is also Beech made from a piece of kitchen worktop.
I still have the game pieces to make which will be a great use of scraps, using different and shapes mean players need to think about the piece they place
View attachment 186973View attachment 186974View attachment 186975View attachment 186976View attachment 186977View attachment 186978

That game / the principle of it is reasonably common if you look on pinterest...

1724834242792.png

1724834258747.png

1724834275188.png

Not sure though that any are as beautiful as yours!

I developed a balance game earlier this year (www.tippit.co.uk):
Now being produced semi-commercially - though currently still by hand (and expensive!)
the learning from that was that you need absolute precision over every aspect of it - total symmetry / perfect turning for the base / the platform has to be accurately central on the base - any bit of that not perfect and it doesn't start with neutral balance.
In mine, the pieces are different woods and there is a range of densities such that the most dense are twice the weight of the least dense - makes the game more challenging...
1724834354681.jpeg

That game / the principle of it is reasonably common if you look on pinterest...

View attachment 186992
View attachment 186993

View attachment 186994

Not sure though that any are as beautiful as yours!

I developed a balance game earlier this year (www.tippit.co.uk):
Now being produced semi-commercially - though currently still by hand (and expensive!)
the learning from that was that you need absolute precision over every aspect of it - total symmetry / perfect turning for the base / the platform has to be accurately central on the base - any bit of that not perfect and it doesn't start with neutral balance.
In mine, the pieces are different woods and there is a range of densities such that the most dense are twice the weight of the least dense - makes the game more challenging...
View attachment 186995
Ahhhh, I must have seen it somewhere, didn't think I could have invented it 😁, I currently have a lot of small offcuts of the beech worktop, loads of birch cuts too. Thinking of using current base and adding another piece to make storage for all the pieces, that way the I can increase the weight of the base to stop it tipping over.

I've had/got quite a lot of olive ash, it's beautiful but as you say does wear the cutting edge fairly quickly, I love the two tone colouration 😁.

So yesterday I turned the last 2 pot covers from a long piece of cherry I was gifted by a fellow member about 2.5 years ago, it has developed some amazing spalting but is still cracking once cut, I had to work fairly quickly to get them turned and finished so I could line with resin, put a pretty thick resin coat in these two to help prevent any disastrous splits.
View attachment 186969View attachment 186970View attachment 186971View attachment 186972

View attachment 186973View attachment 186974View attachment 186975View attachment 186976View attachment 186977View attachment 186978
Don't forget we are all waiting for the photographic grand reveal of your plants and covers in all their glory set up near your new desk👍

Ahhhh, I must have seen it somewhere, didn't think I could have invented it 😁, I currently have a lot of small offcuts of the beech worktop, loads of birch cuts too. Thinking of using current base and adding another piece to make storage for all the pieces, that way the I can increase the weight of the base to stop it tipping over.
A more solid base - maybe with a drawer for storage - would work well - your version looks so much nicer than others I have seen, so worth persevering!

Don't forget we are all waiting for the photographic grand reveal of your plants and covers in all their glory set up near your new desk👍
I've just got 2 plants to take over and put in place, the spider plants also need repotting before I can make the pot covers but I've run out of potting mix so they will have to wait, will probably post on Tuesday next week once the work rush has subsided 🤪🤪🤪🤪

A more solid base - maybe with a drawer for storage - would work well - your version looks so much nicer than others I have seen, so worth persevering!
I still have the mortise on the bottom so reworking it shouldn't be too hard, need to see what I've got that is dry enough to work with, the whole thing is designed to come apart so everything is currently a friction fit that I've also waxed the tenon and mortise so they slide together easily without wearing loose too quickly.

As for balance of the disc, I have a couple of ideas, one is to drill differing depth holes in the edge of the rim at equal spacings then plug them until it's balanced, another thing that may help would be a thicker cord to fill the drill hole and add more support that way.

Mounted another piece of spalted birch that once rounded off was just under 9.5 inches diameter and 2.5 thick with a bit of natural edge still showing, set a recess in it for the existing base to sit in then hollowed it out as deep as I dared to without hitting the mortise and chuck in the bottom, next is to find a way to fix the two together, I'm thinking 3x mushroom shaped pieces with one "side" sanded flat flush with the stem, a hole drilled through so I can screw down into the base, the "mushroom" then turns to hold the lid in place, pretty sure 3 will be enough, I think 4 will look too much.
Next is to try and balance out the disc, I'm thinking of either drilling holes in the rim and using different length dowels in the holes which could be risky as its only 7mm thick. The other option is to remount it and try thinning it down more which I suspect won't make much difference to the balance.
Once that's done I have the game pieces to make, I currently have a pot of triangle shaped offcuts of Beech worktop, some cuts of Mahogany, a few pieces of very very light spalted Ash, some pieces of lignum vitae and a few small bits of ebony, I think that lot will give a good mix of weights and appearance.

20240828_175307.jpg20240828_175311.jpg20240828_175316.jpg20240828_175322.jpg20240828_175326.jpg

Attachments

• 20240828_175339.jpg
    20240828_175339.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240828_175330.jpg
    20240828_175330.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Had planned to look at balancing the disc but ended up making some more changes to the base, made the lid piece a flush fit to make it easier to fit some stays which I made from Oak, also decided to fit a Lignum Vitae collar to the lid for the upright, figure it being so dense the hole is less likely to open up with use, really like the contrast with the beech and birch.
Tomorrow I'll remove the 3 catches and put some CA in the screw holes then replace the screws and glue the lignum collar in place, might start making the play pieces next then work out how to balance the disc.
20240829_184925.jpg20240829_184929.jpg

Had planned to look at balancing the disc but ended up making some more changes to the base, made the lid piece a flush fit to make it easier to fit some stays which I made from Oak, also decided to fit a Lignum Vitae collar to the lid for the upright, figure it being so dense the hole is less likely to open up with use, really like the contrast with the beech and birch.
Tomorrow I'll remove the 3 catches and put some CA in the screw holes then replace the screws and glue the lignum collar in place, might start making the play pieces next then work out how to balance the disc.
View attachment 187105View attachment 187106
Looking good the pointy bit sticking out looks a bit lethal 😀

Didn't think I would be getting to do any turning for a while, but was offered to stay over at my mentors (Pierre Louf) home after seeing a light and sound show in Graveline so we could spend the morning with him showing me hands on how to make pens with my pen making gear I'd acquired when I brought a second hand lathe. So here's my first ever pen
20240831_162133.jpg
20240831_161724.jpg
the wood is palacesandra I'm sure that not how its spelt and its what Pierre called it and Google's not beening much help at the moment. The second was ebony
20240831_161936.jpg
20240831_161654.jpg
very nice to work with these exotic woods and glean so much more from doing it with Pierre than watching a utube vidio. The internal kits for the pens were gifts that came from stiles and bates based in south Kent whom I believe are no longer trading.
20240831_161817.jpg
very happy bunny.

Back