Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't have much time left today after going into work to do a few bits so grabbed a piece of Oak that was cut 2 weeks ago and turned a podlet, I had to work pretty quick to stay ahead of the splitting and warping but I managed it and absolutely love the red colouration in the bark.
20240831_183106.jpg20240831_183112.jpg20240831_183126.jpg20240831_183136.jpg20240831_183148.jpg20240831_183203.jpg

Nice, Lets hope they stay upright .
To be honest I prefer it when they warp and move, I'm just 🤞 the bark stays on for a while, being summer cut there's a very high likelihood it will come away as it dries. The base/bulb is heavy enough to stop it falling over and will also likely split/crack a little.

Today was a lesson in greed, parting the piece off I knew I should stop and saw the last bit but just had to get that last few mm first, that's when it happened, the podlet snapped, 3 hours work broken in a split second 😢
Managed to contain my anger and instead of launching it across the makerspace I took a breath, soaked it in pva and taped it up before setting it down and going home. It was intended as a welcome gift for a new staff member tomorrow when they all return but I'm not convinced the break with repair very well.
20240901_174356.jpg20240901_174401.jpg20240901_174408.jpg

I got a quantity of pitch pine given to me from a mental hospital that was built in 1880. The grain was so close it was almost like hardwood. This is the first thing I have turned. If you look carefully there are areas that are translucent and allow some light through.
The video is before i applied oil finish. The two black marks are the original holes from the iron nails. I just used CA glue and sawdust as I wanted to keep them as a feature.
20240829_143112.jpg

Attachments

• 20240829_115840.mp4
    41.1 MB
I got a quantity of pitch pine given to me from a mental hospital that was built in 1880. The grain was so close it was almost like hardwood. This is the first thing I have turned. If you look carefully there are areas that are translucent and allow some light through.
The video is before i applied oil finish. The two black marks are the original holes from the iron nails. I just used CA glue and sawdust as I wanted to keep them as a feature.
View attachment 187294
That a very nice piece with a crazy background. 😉

Started making a Birch/Ash pot cover for a colleague who has fallen in love with mine and may want more later, the birch top was very unbalanced for most of the turning and despite being dry is very heavy, so much so that my live centre has ground its bearings to dust and started spiralling instead of spinning 😳 I'm not too surprised, I've done a lot of very unbalanced stuff recently (haven't posted most of it as it's not finished) I've run out of epoxy so can't glue the 2 pieces together yet.
20240906_230546.jpg20240906_230602.jpg20240906_230610.jpg20240906_230614.jpg20240906_230620.jpg
at this point I decided to start on the game pieces for the balance game I started, a few days ago I soaked 4 pieces of 20x20x150mm very very spalted Ash in a pot of Danish oil over night, they absorbed it all by morning, turning them today was...interesting, on the surface the oil was dry but as I cut through it became sticky then wet in the centre, I'm sure they will dry out now they're parted into 10mm discs, along with these I did some mahogany, cherry and some larger willow, next task is sanding and finishing them all, also want to make some heavier pieces from some waste bits of oak and ebony
20240906_230510.jpg20240906_230515.jpg20240906_230519.jpg20240906_230522.jpg20240906_230524.jpg

Started making a Birch/Ash pot cover for a colleague who has fallen in love with mine and may want more later, the birch top was very unbalanced for most of the turning and despite being dry is very heavy, so much so that my live centre has ground its bearings to dust and started spiralling instead of spinning 😳 I'm not too surprised, I've done a lot of very unbalanced stuff recently (haven't posted most of it as it's not finished) I've run out of epoxy so can't glue the 2 pieces together yet.
View attachment 187554View attachment 187555View attachment 187556View attachment 187557View attachment 187558
at this point I decided to start on the game pieces for the balance game I started, a few days ago I soaked 4 pieces of 20x20x150mm very very spalted Ash in a pot of Danish oil over night, they absorbed it all by morning, turning them today was...interesting, on the surface the oil was dry but as I cut through it became sticky then wet in the centre, I'm sure they will dry out now they're parted into 10mm discs, along with these I did some mahogany, cherry and some larger willow, next task is sanding and finishing them all, also want to make some heavier pieces from some waste bits of oak and ebony
View attachment 187549View attachment 187550View attachment 187551View attachment 187552View attachment 187553
Thats an intresting lump of a log behind the stool leaning against the wall

Had time for a turn a few days back and decided to use all my leftover of cuts from a door of meranti. Processing them using my table saw ended up with this
20240905_115444.jpg
using the thinner baguettes some were to thin so ended up in stephs garden shed as plant markers. Turned these
20240906_193916.jpg
Two on the bottom left were my only mistakes. Then left them to soak for three days in a linseed bath
20240906_193845.jpg
This afternoon pulled them out wiped them down and they're now drying out on the table
20240909_133923.jpg
As for the last larger pieces I'm going to turn them into salt /flour /sugar scoops when time alows. Sneak preview of three I've done
17258843726908303197234733373460.jpg

Had time for a turn a few days back and decided to use all my leftover of cuts from a door of meranti. Processing them using my table saw ended up with thisusing the thinner baguettes some were to thin so ended up in stephs garden shed as plant markers. Turned these Two on the bottom left were my only mistakes. Then left them to soak for three days in a linseed bathThis afternoon pulled them out wiped them down and they're now drying out on the tableAs for the last larger pieces I'm going to turn them into salt /flour /sugar scoops when time alows. Sneak preview of three I've done

Need to try some of these as the design council mandated a salt pig next to the cooker and using a teaspoon doesn't feel right.

Wow very nice. Pad.
I watched a video of bowl turning. The vid showed that in place of a heel they cut a recess and expanded the Chuck into it.
Thought I would give it a go I scrounged so old floor joists pieces from a neighbour who is extending his house.
Got to cut it down to a size the gives me the biggest bowl and I can still fit the odd shaped wood in the lathe
I cut as close to the marked out circle as poss but the wood looks look like a deformed 50 pence piece
It just clears the lathe bed, the tool rest is extended to the max..... will post results..... or not if an epic fail lol

Wow very nice. Pad.
I watched a video of bowl turning. The vid showed that in place of a heel they cut a recess and expanded the Chuck into it.
Thought I would give it a go I scrounged so old floor joists pieces from a neighbour who is extending his house.
Got to cut it down to a size the gives me the biggest bowl and I can still fit the odd shaped wood in the lathe
I cut as close to the marked out circle as poss but the wood looks look like a deformed 50 pence piece
It just clears the lathe bed, the tool rest is extended to the max..... will post results..... or not if an epic fail lol
The recess is called a mortise and the "heel" as you call it is a tenon 😉 avoid using a mortise in end grain as theres every chance the wood will split apart and a tenon on side grain can separate, just need to be aware 👍
Without a bandsaw it's very hard to get a perfectly round blank that fits the lathe at the maximum diameter so don't worry about lots of angles too much, it will actually help reduce the beating you get when rounding the piece off 🤪
Can't wait to see what you produce

The olive ash pot that went wrong 20240827_181408.jpgput on my new cole jaw
20240911_110704.jpg
discovered that I will need to buy 8 more screws that are slightly shorter so as to make the plates properly sit flush against the chuck face. But still did the job. The only draw back is it limited to 600 rpm so any high speed turning or polishing is out the window. The end result drying with a coat of tung oil.
20240911_112358.jpg

The olive ash pot that went wrong View attachment 187823put on my new cole jaw View attachment 187825discovered that I will need to buy 8 more screws that are slightly shorter so as to make the plates properly sit flush against the chuck face. But still did the job. The only draw back is it limited to 600 rpm so any high speed turning or polishing is out the window. The end result drying with a coat of tung oil.View attachment 187828
That's a beautiful result. I bet you are happy with that
Fred

I'm a member of the Tetbury Men's Shed and we have just moved our portacabin from a scruffy industrial estate down the road to The Tetbury Goods Shed. It's the old goods shed from the now defunct railway station. We are alongside the old signal box and there's a finial at each end of the roof. The finial nearest our Shed was at a silly angle and obviously broken just above the roof level. It was taken down and I was talking to the blokes doing the job and said that I could repair it.

IMG_20240809_145057070.jpg
IMG_20240808_150222689_HDR.jpg

Well, I decided to do it at home rather than on the Shed's lathe, more time and quieter. I chopped the bottom of, the broken bit, and turned a new bit for it. They wanted to keep of much as possible as it was the original from eons ago. That was fine, but when it came to getting layers (! of paint off I found the wood was well rotten! So I finished up doing the complete top section.

I had a nice oak off-cut from a newal post andcut the pointy bit on my bandsaw. The pointy bit is octagonal not round! That made it more interesting :rolleyes:

IMG_1574.JPG

The rest was prettty straight forward turning and I enjoyed doing it. I was quite chuffed with the result.

IMG_1576.JPG

Side by side

IMG_20240809_151753016.jpg

In situ and painted the colour for Great Western Railways. Funny really, when I was in the R.A.F. the aircraft desert camouflage was almost the same colours and it was commonly known as poo and biscuit, or something like that? Merde et biscuit for Sam :rolleyes:

It's the shiny top bit.

Sig box finial.jpg

Back