Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think that the Cill/ Sill, debate is as clear cut as folk would like to think. Maybe it was regional, George Ellis in his Practical Modern Joinery ( published 1902 ) uses Sill, as do the McKay's.

just an observation, it might be worth re-doing the mortar around the wood in lime instead of cement, especially on the bottom cill, that may have accelerated the rot, otherwise nice job on the new window.

The s was probably an f at that time
Never an 'f' - but it might have been a long 's' or medial, which, to viewers today, could be mistaken for an 'f' though in reality is shouldn't since it didn't have a horizontal cross-line.

Did you put in a calligraphy drip on the under side of the window cill
Also does the cill over hang by at least 2.5 inches so the water can drop clear of the joint between window and wall?

Did you put in a calligraphy drip on the under side of the window cill
Also does the cill over hang by at least 2.5 inches so the water can drop clear of the joint between window and wall?

Had never heard of a calligraphy drip before so was about to Google it then realised it was probably meant to say capillary drip, good old auto spell!

Yes it has a groove under the cill, not sure of the overhang, just made it like for like so it matched the other windows.

Today while the rest of you were no doubt enjoying BBQ's and beers in the sun I was repairing a rotten window :(

Won't go into detail but had to repair this quickly and reuse the glass despite the fact that a new window would probably have made more sense.

As is always the case the problem was at the bottom and a bit of filler wasn't going to sort it.

View attachment 185902

New bottom sash was needed, made that on Friday just out of softwood.

Started with this

View attachment 185903

And an hour or two later you have this

View attachment 185904

Today I spliced some new bottoms on the jambs and fitted a new front to the cill then could fit the sash and glaze it.

View attachment 185905

Coat of paint and looks as good as new

View attachment 185908

Quick poll, cill or sill :unsure:
The greatest hits of Silla Black blaring in the background as you toiled!

Today while the rest of you were no doubt enjoying BBQ's and beers in the sun I was repairing a rotten window :(

Won't go into detail but had to repair this quickly and reuse the glass despite the fact that a new window would probably have made more sense.

As is always the case the problem was at the bottom and a bit of filler wasn't going to sort it.

View attachment 185902

New bottom sash was needed, made that on Friday just out of softwood.

Started with this

View attachment 185903

And an hour or two later you have this

View attachment 185904

Today I spliced some new bottoms on the jambs and fitted a new front to the cill then could fit the sash and glaze it.

View attachment 185905

Coat of paint and looks as good as new

View attachment 185908

Quick poll, cill or sill :unsure:
I've rebuilt the bottom thirds of box frames - it would have been way quicker to make a new window.

I've not known anyone spell cill sill.

Simple closed box desk speakers. Pine 15mm'ish internal box and divider, sides clad in a 5mm veneer of 1950's fire door (meranti, sapele...who knows), back a solid board of same about 15mm thick. and zebrano fronts (8mm veneer on 3/4" ply). Mark Audio cones from KJF Audio.

Attachments

• 20240811_162038w.jpg
    20240811_162038w.jpg
    926.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240811_162356w.jpg
    20240811_162356w.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240811_163628w.jpg
    20240811_163628w.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 0
As to cill or sill
As a 3rd gen builder I am used to cill but do recognise that each profession has its own use of language.
That can even differ from area to area
As a Hampshire lad I used to call my sister Annette “netty” only to get told off in West Sussex as netty is the out house that pre dates indoor plumbing.
In context of conversation or txt the spelling can be either or

Latest posts

Back