Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I know why I kept the spindle and bearings from a deceased planer. Couldn't think of an immediate use for it but knew it would come in handy some time.

Great solution Fitz. X

For two reasons, one being the upcoming marriage of my daughter, I decided to make a cake knife:

knife.jpg

The blade and shank are made of Ash, and I chose the grain direction and pattern for best look and the handle is Purple Heart. The false rivets are 6mm oak plugs I made.
The finish is my own bees wax and mineral oil finish.

knife side.jpg

For two reasons, one being the upcoming marriage of my daughter, I decided to make a cake knife:

View attachment 186905

The blade and shank are made of Ash, and I chose the grain direction and pattern for best look and the handle is Purple Heart. The false rivets are 6mm oak plugs I made.
The finish is my own bees wax and mineral oil finish.

View attachment 186906
That is gorgeous 😍 any chance I can convince you to join in with secret santa?

And when things go wrong, threw that chunk across the garage

Attachments

• 2DB2CC4C-57BF-4430-BDF0-3D4F0ADAEE0A.jpeg
    2DB2CC4C-57BF-4430-BDF0-3D4F0ADAEE0A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 592FBB1B-A5B6-41BE-80B4-B79A53A16BBF.jpeg
    592FBB1B-A5B6-41BE-80B4-B79A53A16BBF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 131D8123-9C6B-4269-9B3E-9FC42FAE79CE.jpeg
    131D8123-9C6B-4269-9B3E-9FC42FAE79CE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
So some weekends after dinner my wife, daughter and I spend the evening drinking and playing a game some of you may know called Rummikub.
I decided it would be nice if we had a wooden version that incorporated a tabletop board, the tile holders and border etc and of course the tiles.
So this is what I came up with, the table is felt covered MDF, the border/tile holder is solid Walnut, and the tiles are made from solid oak thinned to a thickness of 4mm, and 30x40mm almost exactly the same as the tiles in the bought game, the logos were added using my branding iron but with an ink pad, the numbers created on my wife's Cricut and everything finished with Citrus oil..... it's not perfect but I think it adds to charm.....

Attachments

• IMG_3763.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3764.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3765.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
So some weekends after dinner my wife, daughter and I spend the evening drinking and playing a game some of you may know called Rummikub.
I decided it would be nice if we had a wooden version that incorporated a tabletop board, the tile holders and border etc and of course the tiles.
So this is what I came up with, the table is felt covered MDF, the border/tile holder is solid Walnut, and the tiles are made from solid oak thinned to a thickness of 4mm, and 30x40mm almost exactly the same as the tiles in the bought game, the logos were added using my branding iron but with an ink pad, the numbers created on my wife's Cricut and everything finished with Citrus oil..... it's not perfect but I think it adds to charm.....
This is a great gift idea for family member thanks, I love that you build the holders into the table/board.

Rummikib was very useful in getting my kids to count well (in two languages), and you could distract them with the occasional math question when they were winning :)

This is a bit of an experiment. Most forums I've been on have had a "Post pics of [something topical]" thread, but not this one. There's probably a good reason for that, but I'm going to stick my neck out anyway.

The idea is, quite simply, to post a photo of the last thing you made. It can be something quite insignificant, a component of something bigger, or a completed project. It can be something that's not thread-worthy on its own, or it can be something that already has a 9 page WIP thread in the Projects section, it really doesn't matter! It's just a bit of fun, but hopefully it will generate some discussion too.

So here's my offering to get the ball rolling. I could have posted a photo of a mug of tea, but that's hardly relevant. This is a replacement guide knob for SWMBO's Burgess bandsaw. Formally it was in the care of her Dad, who isn't the most mechanically minded, hence why it needed a bit of a spruce up before going back into service!

4AE52A01-AAFD-4813-8F34-C55D8209C5E5-234-0000006EEEAED070_zpsa1b2a1f3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6579.jpeg
    IMG_6579.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6576.jpeg
    IMG_6576.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
@Indiana I have the same antique bat door knocker/ letter plate on my front door, apparently they were made by A Kenrick & Sons pattern number 422 if anyone interested......🙂

@Indiana I have the same antique bat door knocker/ letter plate on my front door, apparently they were made by A Kenrick & Sons pattern number 422 if anyone interested......🙂
Wow I wasn’t expecting that. I’ll pass that on to the client thank you 🙏
Door was past saving (and I always save them when I can). Made the door hand finish. Saved as much of the furniture as possible

A study in the cyclical self-defeating nature of man:

So, I know this bloke. In the interest of anonymity lets call him……………….Rick.

Rick has an illness, probably like many people on here, insomuch as he’s seeming unable to throw out any offcut of wood that might be substantial enough to use in some as yet unknown future endeavour.

Rick knows he’s sick, but like a moth to a flame he is unable to control his nature. As is so often the case with what can only be described as an addiction, it takes hitting rock bottom for the afflicted to act.

Rick hit rock bottom at some point in early August…………or ran out of space for his latest load of carpy wood to be stored, it is unclear which.

Being a man of action, Rick planned to make use of this pile of wood that most people would accept is only good for burning.

IMG_20240825_093427.jpg

He got to work milling his wood to size up into useable planks.
IMG_20240825_125523.jpg

Within a couple of days, he had created 6 storage boxes.

IMG_20240828_181947.jpgIMG_20240828_182002.jpg

These were to be placed on some shelving (which he had also made of useless scraps of timber) in an effort to tidy up what was a place to throw things that collect dust.
IMG_20240825_130331.jpgIMG_20240828_182053.jpg

Now Rick has a tidy shelf and things have a place to live. This gave him a sense of satisfaction and calm and Rick settled into this warm feeling that came from the improved order within his garage……But then something dawned on Rick.

Rick had thought he was sick, but if this was true his sickness had led to this new positive feeling of self-satisfaction. His intention at the start of this endeavour was to address his illness, kick the habit, turn over a new leaf, become a better man.

But alas, here we are at the end of August and Rick does not appear to be in recovery, instead he appears to have provided himself positive reinforcement of his problematic behaviour.

On a positive note, 90% of the scraps created building his boxes have managed to find their way into the burn pile. Only time will tell if they remain there.

Rick has an illness, probably like many people on here, insomuch as he’s seeming unable to throw out any offcut of wood that might be substantial enough to use in some as yet unknown future endeavour.

Rick knows he’s sick, but like a moth to a flame he is unable to control his nature. As is so often the case with what can only be described as an addiction, it takes hitting rock bottom for the afflicted to act.

Rick hit rock bottom at some point in early August…………or ran out of space for his latest load of carpy wood to be stored, it is unclear which.

Being a man of action, Rick planned to make use of this pile of wood that most people would accept is only good for burning.

View attachment 187080

View attachment 187081

View attachment 187083View attachment 187082

These were to be placed on some shelving (which he had also made of useless scraps of timber) in an effort to tidy up what was a place to throw things that collect dust.
View attachment 187085View attachment 187084

Now Rick has a tidy shelf and things have a place to live. This gave him a sense of satisfaction and calm and Rick settled into this warm feeling that came from the improved order within his garage……But then something dawned on Rick.

Rick had thought he was sick, but if this was true his sickness had led to this new positive feeling of self-satisfaction. His intention at the start of this endeavour was to address his illness, kick the habit, turn over a new leaf, become a better man.

But alas, here we are at the end of August and Rick does not appear to be in recovery, instead he appears to have provided himself positive reinforcement of his problematic behaviour.

On a positive note, 90% of the scraps created building his boxes have managed to find their way into the burn pile. Only time will tell if they remain there.
I think you and Rick have been busy, Nice use of left overs.
I also have a friend named Rick. No cure for a Rick!

View attachment 187080

View attachment 187081

View attachment 187083View attachment 187082

View attachment 187085View attachment 187084

Why does Rick have two dustpans and brushes ?

Back