Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it started out as a simple clean up ready for tomorrow's landlord inspection, next thing I know I've ripped everything out of the garage and rearranged the makerspace, I was getting annoyed with the kitchen cupboards, they took up too much space and didn't offer enough shelving in return so I removed them and put up more of the metal verticals seeing as I've emptied out 2 cupboards in school freeing up a dozen lengths plus brackets and shelves, once these were up I placed the lathe in a better position than it was and built a shelf that fits just under the metal shelf on my stand and another just under the lathe rails, fitted a length of 4x1.5 and drilled it out to hold my gouges, scrapers etc then a couple of shelves another that, next is to move all the wood from above the worktop by the bandsaw over to the shelving above the lathe then I can put my consumables and embellishments etc above the worktop, still a lot to do and only 2 weeks to get it done so the schools gas meter can be upgraded without my stuff being in the way.
View attachment 185203View attachment 185204View attachment 185205
looks great but think you're running a little low on 'blue roll'! ;)

Three intersecting pyramids. The last model I have to make for the stage of the course I'm on. Very tricky working all the lines out but once it was done it all made sense. Very stressful getting it home after finishing without breaking any bits off
1000024542.jpg
1000024523.jpg
1000024513.jpg
1000024538.jpg

Dug the chainsaw out today and made up some more spalted birch blanks, I've had a stack of logs in the corner since it was cut down in May 2023, the ends were sealed quickly but some cracks still appeared, first job was to cut 4 inches off each end, this showed that had spalted quite a lot and some have got quite punky but that's easily dealt with using CA, a couple of the logs were too thin to split so I just cut them in half and resealed the ends, with the 4 birch trees we took down in May this year I easily have enough to keep me busy, I decided to process these because I'm trying to organise the makerspace better, I'm happier now I've got rid of my cupboards above the lathe, I can fit so much more in the space, that wall at the minute it all Birch and Ash, the white shelf unit to the left is holding what I only have bits of, the shelves above the worktop are for tools, finishes and embellishments/decorations such as marbles/beads/glitter/CA etc. I've got another mobile unit similar to the bench grinder trolley that also has a fold down side, that will sit under the worktop next to the bandsaw. Hopefully I'll still have space to bring in some of the Holly, Hawthorn and Ivy that I have in the garden that's ready to use, I have an oak coming down in 2 weeks and need to find somewhere to store as much as I can.
20240731_071327.jpg20240731_071311.jpg20240731_071250.jpg20240731_070923.jpg20240731_070852.jpg20240731_071207.jpg20240731_071042.jpg20240731_171344.jpg20240731_171322.jpg20240731_171304.jpg

View attachment 185507Finished a couple of bedside tables that I've been working on piecemeal for a couple of months. All offcuts of oak and a salvaged pine beam for the tops. The design council were pleased, even though they were not consulted prior to undertaking the job.
Brave move proceeding in supervised but great result.

Larder type cupboard with integrated fridge, corner unit and shelves.

To reduce my workload I cheated and bought the carcasses in, a local company makes decent quality ones (18mm backs etc) to any size, I did have to adjust a couple to straighten them up though. All the framing is Maple, panels are Birch ply, shelves European Oak and the wall panelling is MDF. I ended up also doing the painting which wasn't the original plan, used Benjamin Moore Scuff-X which was the customers choice. There is a copper worktop going on the corner unit but it won't be ready for another week. They bought all the brassware with an aged look, changed their mind and polished it but now decided they are going to let it go dull again......

ST larder 1.jpg

ST larder 2.jpg

ST larder 4.jpg

And an attempt at a bit of an arty shot 🤣

ST larder 6.jpg

Larder type cupboard with integrated fridge, corner unit and shelves.

To reduce my workload I cheated and bought the carcasses in, a local company makes decent quality ones (18mm backs etc) to any size, I did have to adjust a couple to straighten them up though. All the framing is Maple, panels are Birch ply, shelves European Oak and the wall panelling is MDF. I ended up also doing the painting which wasn't the original plan, used Benjamin Moore Scuff-X which was the customers choice. There is a copper worktop going on the corner unit but it won't be ready for another week. They bought all the brassware with an aged look, changed their mind and polished it but now decided they are going to let it go dull again......

View attachment 185519

View attachment 185520

View attachment 185522

And an attempt at a bit of an arty shot 🤣

View attachment 185524
I like that a lot Doug, proportions are spot on, can you recommend the paint they specified? I like the colour too.
I’ve noticed before that you put ventilation thingies on your cabinets is there a particular reason?
Ian

I like that a lot Doug, proportions are spot on, can you recommend the paint they specified? I like the colour too.
I’ve noticed before that you put ventilation thingies on your cabinets is there a particular reason?
Ian

Hi Ian, I can't take any credit for the design, it's for a customer I do loads of work for and generally the design process with them is they hand me a photo from a magazine and say "Make us one of these".

The paint was Benjamin Moore Scuff-X, I think matt and the colour is Black Forest Green. It goes on really easy and dries quickly, a bit too quickly if anything, you must keep a wet edge or you get flashing (think that's the technical term). Expensive over here but it's an American paint company so you might be in luck!

This cabinet has a grille in the bottom as it has an integrated fridge behind the door and the installation instructions said it required the ventilation. You might have seen vents in some of my wall panelling jobs as I like to vent the void behind the panel, I generally put vents in the skirting and leave the cornice short of the ceiling so it can get some air movement behind the panels.

Hi Ian, I can't take any credit for the design, it's for a customer I do loads of work for and generally the design process with them is they hand me a photo from a magazine and say "Make us one of these".

The paint was Benjamin Moore Scuff-X, I think matt and the colour is Black Forest Green. It goes on really easy and dries quickly, a bit too quickly if anything, you must keep a wet edge or you get flashing (think that's the technical term). Expensive over here but it's an American paint company so you might be in luck!

This cabinet has a grille in the bottom as it has an integrated fridge behind the door and the installation instructions said it required the ventilation. You might have seen vents in some of my wall panelling jobs as I like to vent the void behind the panel, I generally put vents in the skirting and leave the cornice short of the ceiling so it can get some air movement behind the panels.
I like that you vent behind the wall panelling etc. Were you able to get all the visible hardware from one company?
Smart looking !

I like that you vent behind the wall panelling etc. Were you able to get all the visible hardware from one company?
Smart looking !

The customer bought all the hardware (apart from hinges), I think he sourced it from a few different places. I actually found it quite stressful fitting the hardware, screwing small brass screws into hard Maple and trying to clock them can be a bit nerve wracking!

The customer certainly seems to like a particular look, to me most of the things I have made for them would look at home on the Titanic or Orient Express 🤔

Just turned the first of 4 new legs for the next stool
For reference it’s 12 inches long.... the max I can turn in my 1992 vintage laith. Top is right hand end. It’s a38 mm peg the base will have a 38 mm hole. I will cut a slot in the top of the leg . When fitting I will use pva and then drive a hard wood wedge in to expand the top of the leg..... that won’t move..... for quite a few years
9F2526C0-69F9-4A9D-BA33-5187684D74F2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back