No Fault Evictions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see what effect the labour law changes will make. Labour have said that they will ban zero hours contracts. Probably no bad thing overall as they can be exploitative, though some workers like them. For example a friend of mind owns a small restaurant with rooms in a pretty village about 10 miles away. Trade is patchy and mostly pre-booked: he doesn't open now if bookings are insufficient. He employs 8 local people on a flexible basis. They don't all work at the same time and are mostly wanting short notice flexibility because of study, children etc. Usually he has two of them "on shift" for each night he is open and they rotate as a group. It is effectively zero hours contracts and he has notified all of them that if the rules come in outlawing this, then none of the roles will be available from that point on. I'm not sure what he will actually do to cover the evening service labour need. Have labour thought it through properly?

Two tier is getting a lot of negativity the MSM. His honeymoon period is over.

It will be interesting to see what effect the labour law changes will make. Labour have said that they will ban zero hours contracts. Probably no bad thing overall as they can be exploitative, though some workers like them. For example a friend of mind owns a small restaurant with rooms in a pretty village about 10 miles away. Trade is patchy and mostly pre-booked: he doesn't open now if bookings are insufficient. He employs 8 local people on a flexible basis. They don't all work at the same time and are mostly wanting short notice flexibility because of study, children etc. Usually he has two of them "on shift" for each night he is open and they rotate as a group. It is effectively zero hours contracts and he has notified all of them that if the rules come in outlawing this, then none of the roles will be available from that point on. I'm not sure what he will actually do to cover the evening service labour need. Have labour thought it through properly?

Two tier is getting a lot of negativity the MSM. His honeymoon period is over.
Sadly I think he will have to fold. I can't see how he can survive.

Sadly I think he will have to fold. I can't see how he can survive.
I'm inclined to agree. These rural places struggle to get staff anyway now. Most pubs with high quality food tend to run restricted days unless they want to make a big quality compromise by using frozen ready meals or SV pre pack for low demand days. The rot sets in quickly. We operate a small restaurant ourselves but are in the fortunate position of owning the premises and having a family farm that supplies some produce. Our main business has ceased all hiring and will be taking no chances on new employees unless they have perfect references and qualifications, and unimpaired social media history etc. We are also having a lawyer review our policies on supervision clear needs (WFH defence) and other protection matters. Labour is good for lawyers. :censored:

Millions of people actually choose to live on benefits rather than work....this isn't fake news, it's reality. Why do you think they do that?
Not sure of the actual numbers but I know of people who have chosen a life of being unemployed because it suits them, I just assume they have little motivation or get up and go but apparently there are other reasons like getting up early in the morning and having someone telling you what to do. The sad thing is that they will end up with a full state pension the same as if they had worked and if they reach the point of needing a care home it will cost them nothing but for many they will have to sell the home they worked hard to buy to fund it.

Latest posts

Back