No Fault Evictions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A man I used to know who bought many, many dwellings in Liverpool on BTL, welcomed DHSS tenants, but I think that was back when the DHSS paid the rent directly to the landlords.

Well yes maybe some sort of buy-back where necessary.
Main thing should be to build more houses and also to look at empty properties, 2nd homes and the whole system.
Hasty action could cause house price collapse, but maybe that is the unavoidable consequence of 45 years of government failure?
Jacob I’m with you on second homes. Far too many properties empty for large parts of the year.

But here's my take on it: There will always be people who don't want to buy their own home for various reasons, but I would guess that the majority of renters would rather buy, if they could. So what happened historically was that people who already owned property were able to "leverage"(how I hate that usage) their asset and obtain BTL mortgages to buy property, which they then rented out at a rate that very often exceeded the mortgage repayments. Now if you're that tenant, who would love to get a mortgage, but you can't raise the deposit, and so you end up effectively buying a house for your landlord, I think you could, justifiably, find that unfair. It's just another perpetuation of the division between the haves and the have nots.
I've never been in that situation myself, by dint of having been born at the right time, but I think I can empathize with those who are.
I don't know what the BTL situation is these days, but from what I hear, it's not so rosy, but anyone whinging might want to remember the good old days, slurping at that money river before it became a trickle.

No worries although I wasn’t looking for an argument - just wondered if I’d missed something.
Regarding regulation I just wanted to make the two general points:

1) That continually increasing regulation tends to place upwards pressure on rents.

2) If the legislation is such that it infringes upon landlords property rights and their ability to control or recover their own property, then this will drive landlords out of the sector and create a greater shortage of rental properties.

BBC news just reported that according to Citizen's Advice, nearly half of all private tenants are living in damp, cold or mouldy conditions, many afraid to complain for fear of Section 21 evictions.

BBC news just reported that according to Citizen's Advice, nearly half of all private tenants are living in damp, cold or mouldy conditions, many afraid to complain for fear of Section 21 evictions.
Sounds like fake news to me!

You need to check the wording carefully. Damp, cold OR mouldy. Pretty much anyone living in the U.K. qualifies for damp or cold for half of the year. That’s 50%.

Joking aside both my rental properties have a tendency to mould which the tenants deal with by opening a window, running a dehumidifier when they hang their washing up inside 😲 and putting the heating on in the winter.

Both houses are Victorian terrace and the double glazing in both don’t help.

A couple of years ago I got a message from the letting agency I use saying that the tenant had contacted them about a mould problem in one of the bedrooms, one of the agency team was going to check it out and did I want to tag along?

I went along for a look and was quite surprised how bad the mould was, I started apologising to the tenant and was offering to clean it up but the girl from the agency quickly stepped in and stopped me. She gave the tenant a long lecture on how they must treat any mould as soon as they see it, ventilate and heat the property etc, in fact she made it quite clear to them that in her eyes they were not maintaining my property properly.

I think the message got through as it was never mentioned again and the house was mould free when they moved out as it still is now and was for many years before when I lived there.

I was very impressed with how the agency handled the problem, it was the first time they justified the 9% or whatever it is they charge. The girl said they get complaints all the time from tenants about mould but generally after a little lecture from her the problem goes away.

Regarding regulation I just wanted to make the two general points:

1) That continually increasing regulation tends to place upwards pressure on rents.
but benefits the tenants and is downward pressure on landlords
2) If the legislation is such that it infringes upon landlords property rights
but re-enforces tenants rights
and their ability to control or recover their own property, then this will drive landlords out of the sector and create a greater shortage of rental properties.
Except they don't take the properties with them when they go so they become available at lower prices for housing associations or others to buy.

A couple of years ago I got a message from the letting agency I use saying that the tenant had contacted them about a mould problem in one of the bedrooms, one of the agency team was going to check it out and did I want to tag along?

I went along for a look and was quite surprised how bad the mould was, I started apologising to the tenant and was offering to clean it up but the girl from the agency quickly stepped in and stopped me. She gave the tenant a long lecture on how they must treat any mould as soon as they see it, ventilate and heat the property etc, in fact she made it quite clear to them that in her eyes they were not maintaining my property properly.

I think the message got through as it was never mentioned again and the house was mould free when they moved out as it still is now and was for many years before when I lived there.

I was very impressed with how the agency handled the problem, it was the first time they justified the 9% or whatever it is they charge. The girl said they get complaints all the time from tenants about mould but generally after a little lecture from her the problem goes away.
Sorry but I just don't believe this story.
So many landlords piling in to blame everybody else for things going wrong on their watch - immigrants top of the list, stupid tenants, excessive regulation...etc etc

Last edited:
Sorry but I just don't believe this story.
So many landlords piling in to blame everybody else for things going wrong on their watch - immigrants top of the list, stupid tenants, excessive regulation...etc etc
I do.
I've had to chew out my own daughter for hanging wet clothes all over the house because "they'll get damaged by tumble drying" - fair enough, but don't ruin my house rather than waiting for a dry day when they can go on a line...kids !
Likewise my sister who caused a load of mould problems in another property drying clothes indoors. She absolutely knew better, just didn't care.
Houses need to be ventilated and indoors isn't where you dry laundry.
People who don't own a place or have to pay for the repairs have little motivation to take good care of it. If I were a landlord I would want a substantial deposit and make it very clear that repair costs would be deducted from it if the house wasn't cared for and problems weren't reported promptly.

I do.
I've had to chew out my own daughter for hanging wet clothes all over the house because "they'll get damaged by tumble drying" - fair enough, but don't ruin my house rather than waiting for a dry day when they can go on a line...kids !
Likewise my sister who caused a load of mould problems in another property drying clothes indoors. She absolutely knew better, just didn't care.
Houses need to be ventilated and indoors isn't where you dry laundry.
People who don't own a place or have to pay for the repairs have little motivation to take good care of it. If I were a landlord I would want a substantial deposit and make it very clear that repair costs would be deducted from it if the house wasn't cared for and problems weren't reported promptly.
Which is why with the places I rent I provide a dehumidifier (the same as we use at home, I also spin dry with a free standing spinner after I take the washing from the machine, I don't expect tenants to do this), some have no outdoor place to hang washing but generally I think our summers are getting wetter, also I remember my mother who didn't "work" taking washing in and out between showers just to get it dry for people with jobs this just isn't an option.

Really impressed with the latest dehumidifiers which sense humidity and switch on and off at a set level, they can even be plumbed in although I haven't done this then just left to their own devices. I haven't done the calculation but with dry air being cheaper to heat than wet and any heat produced going into the house I suspect the winter running costs are negligible.

I don't agree with this statement therefore it's a lie. Quod erat demonstrandum.
Why do you think this isn't insulting?
There are none so blind as those who don't want to see.

Most people are decent either as landlords or tenants.... then there are the exceptions!

Further news on my now thankfully ex tenant that made me start this thread, various people have told me he was dealing drugs from the house, I found a stash of new mobile phones, five of them, took them to the police who cannot examine them as they have no direct link to a known crime and this would infringe on his privacy! Not the Brexit I voted for..... except I didn't.....but if I had it wouldn't have been....

Pop corn ready

Here is the report that the BBC were quoting.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/mfz4nb...tizens_Advice_Through_the_Roof_July_2024_.pdf

I personally think it oversimplifies matters to generate a shock headline. For instance it’s an obvious overlap with how warm a house is and the cost of living crisis which is a problem not exclusive to renters.

I believe Doug about his experience as we’ve had something similar with one of our properties following a change of tenant. If you have a shower and don’t ventilate the room mould grows in the shower - tenants responsibility to open the window.

Last edited:
My friend had seven properties in the Telford area and has now sold everyone because he just says it's not worth the aggro any longer he's disappointed but the amount of hassle he gets from tenants, from the local authority that when he does issue a no-fault eviction local authority then told the tenants to stay there until they're evicted. How can you work with that? He was originally only going to sell to fund a new property in Spain the fourth sale was the one where the local authority told the tenants to stay there and wait eviction and that was the last straw as far as he was concerned so put the other three on the market immediately and evicted all the tenants.

He had been a good landlord for 25 years always repairing and maintaining the properties but the minute you want to sell your own property the local authority tell you Foxtrot Oscar. the future of landlords in the UK I think it's probably dying out unless something radically is done to protect landlords rights after all. Is there bloody property and they should have the right to sell it if they want to.

.... Is there bloody property and they should have the right to sell it if they want to.
They have that right but they shouldn't have the right to turf out their tenants - this can be a life changing event for many.

Back