No Fault Evictions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are a problem tenant, you absolutely deserve to be in the park bench! Sort yourself out, live a decent life and don’t expect everyone to look after you.
Jacob, your failure to appreciate that the world doesn’t owe you a living is astonishing.
🤣 Well if you (or @monster) ever fall on hard times, for whatever reason, we will be looking after you, even though neither of you really deserve it!

🤣 Well if you ever fall on hard times, for whatever reason, we will be looking after you, even though you really don't deserve it!
If I am, I won’t destroy a rental, that’s the point. I wouldn’t be a reckless silly person and expect someone else to pay for my foolish stupidity of not taking care of the roof over my head. If I did, I would deserve to be homeless.

Not really - I ensured my properties were safe and fit for purpose long before the regulations came along that now exist.

I have a property next door to one of mine that runs as a HMO and its an absolute tip, rat riddled death trap with rubbish piled up outside and the whole house is a visual eyesore - yet the council still happily license it every inspection and take the license fee.

Over the years I have witnessed lots of new regulations and financial burdens aimed at landlords and all I have seen is this add to the risk and cost of doing business for those who cared anyway - the decent law abiding landlords - whilst the rogue landlords on the whole just continue to operate regardless and are rarely held to account, the councils seem more interested in licensing - and ever further extending their licensing regimes merely as a revenue generator.
Many years ago I briefly lived in an HMO, worst time of my life. The landlord was appalling bordering on dangerous the other tenants made a bad situation worse. The building had a rat problem, they used to get into any food that wasn't in tins. my then girlfriend borrowed money from her parents we bought some expanded metal sheet and rat proofed one cupboard in each of the 6 flats. Simple rule put your bread, cornflakes etc. in the rat proof cupboard. Did people keep to it did they hell, girl up stairs from us kept moaning that my cupboard was useless, would have helped if she kept the door bolted, people didn't take the rubbish out, left chip rappers in the stairwell didn't wash up for days some people you can't help. The landlords with HMOs near the house I am currently refitting may be good or bad I don't know but they don't make the tenants throw bags of dog poo into the ally.

And there is the problem. Nobody taking personal responsibility. All La La land.
So you'd be happy on the park bench if things don't go your way - illness, accident, dementia, old age, whatever?

Last edited:
Many years ago I briefly lived in an HMO, worst time of my life. The landlord was appalling bordering on dangerous the other tenants made a bad situation worse. The building had a rat problem, they used to get into any food that wasn't in tins. my then girlfriend borrowed money from her parents we bought some expanded metal sheet and rat proofed one cupboard in each of the 6 flats. Simple rule put your bread, cornflakes etc. in the rat proof cupboard. Did people keep to it did they hell, girl up stairs from us kept moaning that my cupboard was useless, would have helped if she kept the door bolted, people didn't take the rubbish out, left chip rappers in the stairwell didn't wash up for days some people you can't help. The landlords with HMOs near the house I am currently refitting may be good or bad I don't know but they don't make the tenants throw bags of dog poo into the ally.
yep - private sector can't cope. Austerity and underfunding of public services has made things much worse.

This really has me puzzled. Why would someone with the level of responsibility / planning to pick up and bag their dogs poo then carry it past their dustbin and throw it over the fence making the ally behind the house they live in a stinking health hazard?

It's not just one silly person, didn't count but I guess I cleared 100 bags,

I lived in HMO's both when I was a student and after I graduated, some were pretty poor and others not so bad. HMO's do get a bad rep - and not unjustified in many instances. There are however some decent ones out there, but they need to be very well managed, as housing a number of unrelated people together in a property they have no vested interest in caring for can be a recipe for disaster for everyone involved - tenants, landlord and near neighbours!

Last edited:
So, just chuck em back out on the streets? Not sure that's much of a solution to anything except how to completely break society down.
If you destroy the majority to save the minority, you’ve done far more damage than any good.

I call it the ‘life raft’ problem. At some point, you have to tell those drowning, that you don't have any more room. If you try to save 1 more, you will sink the entire raft.

That is the ethical problem Liberals can never get passed. Ultimately, they would prefer to make everyones life worse.
Of course we need such compassionate people, such is the duality of life.

yep - private sector can't cope. Austerity and underfunding of public services has made things much worse.
To @Jacob
You have strong dislike of private landlords. So what's a solution?
I'll propose an approach for you.
To reduce private landlords AND keep rental stock AND keep tenant in same property. Then let the Social Housing Groups offer the private landlord the going market rate for their property. Using either the private landlords offer to sell price or a figure from 4 estate agents 2 nominated by each party and an average of the 4 values used as the offer price the Social Housing group will pay.
If either is acceptable, then Social landlord could purchase direct, without need for legal fees on either side.
This would be swift, transparent and the tenant has no worries as the deal expressly includes the Social Housing Organisation taking the property with siting tenent.

Outcome: No forced evictions, no stress on tenant, no loss of rental stock, swift sale.

So would that satisfy you @Jacob ?

To @Jacob
To reduce private landlords AND keep rental stock AND keep tenant in same property. Then let the Social Housing Groups offer the private landlord the going market rate for their property. Using either the private landlords offer to sell price or a figure from 4 estate agents 2 nominated by each party and an average of the 4 values used as the offer price the Social Housing group will pay.
If either is acceptable, then Social landlord could purchase direct, without need for legal fees on either side.
This would be swift, transparent and the tenant has no worries as the deal expressly includes the Social Housing Organisation taking the property with siting tenent.

Outcome: No forced evictions, no stress on tenant, no loss of rental stock, swift sale.

Pretty sure it wouldn’t suit him. If it was compulsory purchase at half market value it would suit him better I think.

For over twenty years I have managed the rental of his house in a beautiful Grade 2 listed village on the Wirral as his job moved him over to the US for a short time! As a policy we avoided NHSS tenants and rented to a single mum who lived there for 13 years. We also had a policy of getting to know our tenants as we watched her little girl grow up to be a lovely young lady.The tenant was a very tidy person who always seemed to have washing drying around the house -far more than needed by her and her daughter. We had damp issues eg black spots on the bathroom ceiling. We invested time and money over the years but were happy with a cosy happy situation. Early on in her tenancy she lost her job so became DHSS. We were not bothered by this as we knew our tenant well and her housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord. However,this all changed when a man called Cameron,I think, decided to "give tenants more control of their lives" by paying benefit directly to the tenant. It was OK for a while until she got a partner who was living in the house with her which was against the tenancy rules but we were sort of happy for her so let it happen. He turned out to be a nasty piece of work - I know my rights type who led the tenant astray. One Xmas,inevitably,she spent her benefit on Xmas presents so was unable to pay her rent. She eventually did a moonlight taking with her an expensive dehumidifier I had bought and lent to her. We like to think that we are the best of landlords but our cosy little world collapsed because of a silly,out of touch with reality,politition!!! However,on the bright side our damp issues vanished when she left. It seems she was taking in washing to augment her income. Apart from that,we have enjoyed super tenants who have respected our property. We exchange Xmas cards etc

To @Jacob

Well yes maybe some sort of buy-back where necessary.
Main thing should be to build more houses and also to look at empty properties, 2nd homes and the whole system.
Hasty action could cause house price collapse, but maybe that is the unavoidable consequence of 45 years of government failure?

For over twenty years I have managed the rental of his house in a beautiful Grade 2 listed village on the Wirral as his job moved him over to the US for a short time! As a policy we avoided NHSS tenants and rented to a single mum who lived there for 13 years. We also had a policy of getting to know our tenants as we watched her little girl grow up to be a lovely young lady.The tenant was a very tidy person who always seemed to have washing drying around the house -far more than needed by her and her daughter. We had damp issues eg black spots on the bathroom ceiling. We invested time and money over the years but were happy with a cosy happy situation. Early on in her tenancy she lost her job so became DHSS. We were not bothered by this as we knew our tenant well and her housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord. However,this all changed when a man called Cameron,I think, decided to "give tenants more control of their lives" by paying benefit directly to the tenant. It was OK for a while until she got a partner who was living in the house with her which was against the tenancy rules but we were sort of happy for her so let it happen. He turned out to be a nasty piece of work - I know my rights type who led the tenant astray. One Xmas,inevitably,she spent her benefit on Xmas presents so was unable to pay her rent. She eventually did a moonlight taking with her an expensive dehumidifier I had bought and lent to her. We like to think that we are the best of landlords but our cosy little world collapsed because of a silly,out of touch with reality,politition!!! However,on the bright side our damp issues vanished when she left. It seems she was taking in washing to augment her income. Apart from that,we have enjoyed super tenants who have respected our property. We exchange Xmas cards etc
As I say, the private landlord system can't deal clients who have problems - there are a lot of them and it's not always their fault. To some extent this is self selecting as most tenants are in that position because they can't afford to buy a home in the first place. Then simple things like losing a job suddenly becomes a crisis.
Surprised that tenancy agreements could exclude having a partner - this seems like somewhat excessive control over a person's life.
Also maybe it should be illegal to ban DHSS tenants.

..... I would deserve to be homeless.
What even if you were utterly blameless and just temporarily or permanently ill, unemployed, demented or otherwise unfortunate?
These things do happen to people it could be your turn next!
You would lay down your all for your landlord? 🤣

Back