Latest thing you have printed / machined / cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my Sculpfun S9 laser to make some custom packaging from cardboard I can source from work for free.

1000019112.jpg
1000019113.jpg
1000019114.jpg

Perhaps try a thin Dremel type cutoff wheel? It may raise a burr, but silver is relatively soft, so should be easy to tidy up. One alternative might be to silver solder the ends together, but you'd need to be very accurate with wire length and there may be more cleanup involved.

i whipped up a quick catch all type bowl on my cnc with a little silver inlay .

anyone have any tips for trimming the silver wire without deformign the cut ends? bottom left of the bowl shows the jopin in the silver looking a bti scruffy..

An alternative option might be to divide the silver inlay into perhaps 6 or 8 pieces and use the joins as "features" - and I only suggest this because I actually like the handmade look of the join.

If it were me, I'd probably try 7 divisions - I really love the look of sevenths for some reason - my favourite alloy wheels are all 7 spoke designs.

use a jewellers saw blade, its designed to do just this, they are incredibly fine and cut normally on all sides of the blade as its more like a wire than a flat blade, lay the silver wire on a piece of pine or similar and cut through the wire on that its easier if you have a Jewellers Peg , you dont need to buy one just make one out of some beech or other hardwood.

They are sacrificial. My daughter is Gold and Silversmith and I made her a full size Jewellers workbench a few years back. Her Peg is slightly different to the one in the photo as it slots into a rectangular hole I made in the half round work are that is cut out in the main bench area Even I use it to cut out fine detailed pieces sometimes.

They are are actually quite useful benches to work with !! The one in the photo is designed for DIY users or where you dont have a proper bench

If you cut the wire with anything other than a jewellers saw it will leave a mark or pressure marks,practice first !

Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 16.18.34.png

its the same type of saw that makes millions of beautiful items so it should do, just make sure you get jewellery saw blades, if you can get them in a grade, go for fine and if you have difficulty holding your silver wire use another piece of very soft wood to hold it down, Balsa is best or deal/pine.

Silver is a very soft metal but it work hardens and will go brittle, if that happens just anneal it gently or it will melt before your eyes ! Similar to electrical solder but with a bit more heat. Have fun inlaying your plate with silver it is a very nice addition, you can use super glue gel to hold it in place, just make sure the silver is clean first. They also look good inlaid with Brass or copper.

The other thing you could do is actually solder the two ends together and file them to shape ,as silver is so soft you can then tap/stretch it to fit the ring. It looks great by the
way !

Back