Keir Starmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't know an Asda trainer from a D.J. Trump special edition, but I do wonder what the asylum seekers I met wanted with the 5 year old back-of-the-kitchen-junk-draw phones that they were desperate for.
Maybe it's a myth, like all the people who roll lip to food banks in BMWs. I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but my wife volunteers at the local food bank, and you can't just turn up. You have to be referred by social services. Doesn't make a newsworthy story, though.
It was explained to me by someone working with immigrants, that mobile phones become near essential survival machines in very many ways. Obvious when you think about it and old ones are cheap and adequate.
Had a weird experience 2016 we were cycling sea to sea St Bees head to Tynemouth, partly along Hadrians Wall. Visited Maryport museum and learned about the foreign Roman legions who had been here and left memorials, including Syrians and others. It was before the referendum and we were asking people what they thought about brexit. Nice little old lady in a cake shop went absolutely livid and started ranting "these Syrians they've all got mobile phones.....". :unsure: I think it'd been headline news in a dung newspaper like the Daily Mail

Last edited:
It was explained to me by someone working with immigrants, that mobile phones become near essential survival machines in very many ways. Obvious when you think about it and old ones are cheap and adequate.
Had a weird experience 2016 we were cycling sea to sea St Bees head to Tynemouth, partly along Hadrians Wall. Visited Maryport museum and learned about the foreign Roman legions who had been here and left memorials, including Syrians and others. It was before the referendum and we were asking people what they thought about brexit. Nice little old lady in a cake shop went absolutely livid and started ranting "these Syrians they've all got mobile phones.....". :unsure:
My point is that most of the asylum seekers I encountered didn't arrive with phones.

Do what the Greeks do with Boat People from Turkey: put them back in their boat - without engne - in waters where the current will carry them to shore back in Turkey
Just because one nation breaks the law doesn't mean others should too.

Visited Maryport museum and learned about the foreign Roman legions who had been here and left memorials, including Syrians and others.
The Roman infantry musuem https://romanarmymuseum.com/ is a really great experience to understand how the Romans functioned and don't forget Vindolander just down the road where the Indian regiment was based !

Back