Joke Thread 4 (closed).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3295.jpeg

Yes - as I have said many times before - there is no situation that a politician, of any persuasion, cannot make worse.

Maybe AES will have something to add, but for me I think the Swiss system where the electorate can affect legislation through referenda has a lot to offer.

I do tend to agree with the (apparently) many here. This is NOT a political thread. We do have one on UKW I believe (I don't subscribe to it).

But as I'm invited to share my experiences of the Swiss system, here goes, just v briefly:

Yes we do have a referenda system here. It does work - at least to some extent. BUT:

It's often VERY slow;

We have 4 sets of votes per year - the average voter turnout rarely reaches over 50% of all those eligible to vote;

Despite a particular vote resulting in a (relatively) resounding YES, the Govt can - and does sometimes - drag it's collective feet in turning said YES into an actual law - in some cases for over 20 years (e.g. Rheinstrasse Tunnel, Kanton Baselland);

IMO a lot of the politicos here are just as self-serving, greedy, mealy-mouthed, lazy, and downright stupid as you'll find in any other country (and inc UK, I have lived in 4 different countries);

We have one particular political party (we have more that 2.5) whose sole motto/reaction always seems to be - "The answer is NO. What is the question".

In short - just like any other system I know of, it works - after a fashion.

Just like anywhere else, the grass is NOT always greener here - sometimes it's definitely better; sometimes about the same; sometimes definitely worse.

Just like everywhere else.

Guess you now need to add my name to the naughty boys list. :)

That was a joke thread, allegedly........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back