Measuring machine noise, effective soundproofing, etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Apple Watch always warns me of high noise levels in the workshop.

The watch vibrates the same as when you get a message, email or you have a fall. When you look at it you see the warning. You can dismiss it for an hour or the rest of the day if wearing protection or get out of the situation if not. Mine goes off every time I use the string trimer, push mower, ride on mower or I'm in the shop. I always have the muffs on so dismiss it. No surprise that it tells you the music is loud when you are in a bar. I have the foam plugs in when the band is playing.

Pete

I'll add you can download decibel apps for your phone but because of microphone range the upper volume readings are not as accurate as a proper meter. Still useful though.

"As an aside, the loudest natural sounds, probably, that we might ever encounter, are waterfalls, volcanoes and thunderclaps. In all cases, these are predominantly LOW frequency sounds, unless you're right next to them. The ear has a built-in protection mechanism for them too: it loosens the tension on the tympanic membrane (the eardrum), and you go "protectively" deaf for the time you're exposed to the sound (if it's loud enough). Come back into a quiet environment and your ears' sensitivity recovers, in minutes, usually."

The same is true of naval gunfire, but sadly not of Olympus gas turbine engine noise...

Thank you for an interesting and informative post.

"As an aside, the loudest natural sounds, probably, that we might ever encounter, are waterfalls, volcanoes and thunderclaps. In all cases, these are predominantly LOW frequency sounds, unless you're right next to them. The ear has a built-in protection mechanism for them too: it loosens the tension on the tympanic membrane (the eardrum), and you go "protectively" deaf for the time you're exposed to the sound (if it's loud enough). Come back into a quiet environment and your ears' sensitivity recovers, in minutes, usually."

The same is true of naval gunfire, but sadly not of Olympus gas turbine engine noise...

Thank you for an interesting and informative post.
About 20 years ago, I was living in a place that wasn't connected to mains electric and I relied on a thumping great Lister diesel generator for when I needed power. When it was going you couldn't have a conversation in the same shed, it was just too loud. Strange thing was, every night in the summer months, when I went down to switch it off (it was very old and the "Start-o-Matic" bits had long since given up) there would always be a a handful of bats hanging out in there, taking a break from their flying - always wondered how they didn't go deaf - now you've given me a clue!

Latest posts

Back