Joke Thread 4 (closed).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
During the 2017 general election campaign, Rachel Reeves shared a Labour poster from 1945 promising a decent pension with the caption: “Love this poster from 1945. This time again, it’s Labour who will stand up for pensioners, defending the triple lock and winter fuel payments.”

A week earlier Angela Rayner, now Deputy Prime Minister, (huh?) had said: “Pensioners will be worried with cuts to pensions, death tax for social care, winter fuel allowance cuts, Tories - the nasty party #ToryManifesto”.

How two-faced is that?

It's a joke alright - in very bad taste.

Imagine the outrage and righteous indignation of Reeves & Raynor if the Tories had scrapped the winter fuel allowance.

Not only did they not do that, in the winter of 22/23, in addition to retaining the Winter Fuel Allowance, they gave every household £400, not means tested. Doesn't sound very 'nasty' to me. Furthermore, when it comes to balancing the books, during the Pandemic, the Tory government (AKA 'nasty party') distributed £68.9 billion of furlough payments to 1.3 million employers covering 11.7 million individual jobs, and £28.1 billion over five grants to 2.9 million self-employed people.
Maybe start another thread for all this political stuff?

lcr.jpg

Not only did they not do that, in the winter of 22/23, in addition to retaining the Winter Fuel Allowance, they gave every household £400, not means tested. Doesn't sound very 'nasty' to me. Furthermore, when it comes to balancing the books, during the Pandemic, the Tory government (AKA 'nasty party') distributed £68.9 billion of furlough payments to 1.3 million employers covering 11.7 million individual jobs, and £28.1 billion over five grants to 2.9 million self-employed people.
Out of their own pockets.

All politisions are lier's and two faced, qualifications needed are to have very convenient short memories, but at the moment the present incumbents are taking it to a new level.

Yes - as I have said many times before - there is no situation that a politician, of any persuasion, cannot make worse.

Maybe AES will have something to add, but for me I think the Swiss system where the electorate can affect legislation through referenda has a lot to offer.

Yes - as I have said many times before - there is no situation that a politician, of any persuasion, cannot make worse.

Maybe AES will have something to add, but for me I think the Swiss system where the electorate can affect legislation through referenda has a lot to offer.
The British public have difficulty once every five years electing a government based upon spin, half truths, selective statistics, partial manifestos, etc. Depending on ones point of view they frequently get it wrong - certainly get that which was not expected (eg: winter fuel allowance).

Just contemplate the chaos of a repeat performance possibly several times a years.

A few years back, the Swiss Federal government wanted to increase the price of the motorway vignette. This was over-turned by a referendum.

I see a referendum in the UK to overturn ending of WFA in same light - i.e. to undo wrongs, not author them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back