Ive done my time son, dont you worry about that.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pass the screwdriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Well let's see if an old hand can post in the UK without offending somebody for knowing to much about his trade. Those Americans are so touchy.
20211015_091804.jpg

There will always be someone who thinks they know better.
That's gorgeous, I can only imagine the time and effort it took 😍
Opinions are fine. As long as I am allowed mine. Or to put it another way, trained in the UK. Burned in the USA !
All I would like to do here is share valuable first hand knowledge and experience for those who want to learn and profit from it. Is that okay ? That is a genuine and serious question because I love my work despite the hardships.
Working wood is so rewarding but it helps to listen to those who have already walked the mine field. Thank you for the welcome and the compliment. It belongs not just to me but all those anonymous shop floor lad's and lasses who made it possible.
Cheers 🍻.

That is simply wonderful, both aesthetically and technically! I look forward to your posts and experience.

Where in Oz are you, and would I know you?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Welcome.
That's a wonderful bit of art/woodworking. Did you 'just' create the wooden parts or did you build the organ as well? Either way it's simply fantastic.
Yes there are always those, far too many, who know better and whose way is the only way and will continue to stuff it down your throat until you curl up and die choking on it. Best to walk away and ignore them. One of the biggest challenges supervising engineers designing electronic circuits when I was working was keeping them motivated. I'd often inspect one of their designs and think I wouldn't do it that way. I'd have to take a step back and think: does it meet spec, cost, reliability and manufacturability? Is there a way to reduce complexity? If not I'd let it go otherwise we'd sit down and discuss it. Normally what ended up in the final design was 90% their work yet they understood why any bit had been changed. They could still have a sense of pride in the machines going out the door.
Have fun.
Martin

Welcome.
That's a wonderful bit of art/woodworking. Did you 'just' create the wooden parts or did you build the organ as well? Either way it's simply fantastic.
Yes there are always those, far too many, who know better and whose way is the only way and will continue to stuff it down your throat until you curl up and die choking on it. Best to walk away and ignore them. One of the biggest challenges supervising engineers designing electronic circuits when I was working was keeping them motivated. I'd often inspect one of their designs and think I wouldn't do it that way. I'd have to take a step back and think: does it meet spec, cost, reliability and manufacturability? Is there a way to reduce complexity? If not I'd let it go otherwise we'd sit down and discuss it. Normally what ended up in the final design was 90% their work yet they understood why any bit had been changed. They could still have a sense of pride in the machines going out the door.
Have fun.
Martin
Hi Martin.
Pipe organs are fairly complex visually when finished but it's like any other job. You start at the beggining and work your way through. You get your drawings, work up a cut list and start milling. Accuracy and attention to detail is vital. You can't just bodge it together. It's a marriage of wood, leather and metal. Sadly it is a slowly dying trade and the pay is very low for the skills required. Anyway, I've made a life and I have a good wife. I had good mentors and masters who taught me my trade. Many fond memories of a life at the bench, in the mill, on site. I'm going to start a thread tomorrow. Cheers 🍻

Well let's see if an old hand can post in the UK without offending somebody for knowing to much about his trade. Those Americans are so touchy. View attachment 186741
Talk about a grand entrance- extremely elegant and detailed. Must of taken many many hours of preparation and planning let alone the actual work.. welcome to ukw ..

Talk about a grand entrance- extremely elegant and detailed. Must of taken many many hours of preparation and planning let alone the actual work.. welcome to ukw ..
I tried the humble entrance in America and got banned for knowing to much. There's no pleasing some people. At least here I'm amongst my own and the vibe is so much better.

Opinions are fine. As long as I am allowed mine. Or to put it another way, trained in the UK. Burned in the USA !
All I would like to do here is share valuable first hand knowledge and experience for those who want to learn and profit from it. Is that okay ? That is a genuine and serious question because I love my work despite the hardships.
Working wood is so rewarding but it helps to listen to those who have already walked the mine field. Thank you for the welcome and the compliment. It belongs not just to me but all those anonymous shop floor lad's and lasses who made it possible.
Cheers 🍻.
You are very welcome here.
It sounds like you've had a bad experience somewhere along the way.
Hopefully that won't repeat here but UKW isn't the nanny state, you should expect a bit of banter and as this is a forum for people of all levels and interests, the questions asked and answers given reflect this.
Take your time and get to know the members...

I tried the humble entrance in America and got banned for knowing to much. There's no pleasing some people. At least here I'm amongst my own and the vibe is so much better.
Yes we have all abilities here from high end to beginners- they are all welcomed and appreciated. I’m certainly not at your level but I have a good all round knowledge of several subjects but I’m an x gas engineer enjoying woodworking and other building related activities.. hope you stick around..

You are very welcome here.
It sounds like you've had a bad experience somewhere along the way.
Hopefully that won't repeat here but UKW isn't the nanny state, you should expect a bit of banter and as this is a forum for people of all levels and interests, the questions asked and answers given reflect this.
Take your time and get to know the members...
I won't say where but sadly my experience with American forums has not been pleasant.
Banter ? I grew up with it and I do speak native banter. People assume you have a big ego when you show them your work and they like to cut you down. You don't get far on the shop floor with an ego. Competence is all that counts. I did the hard yards and accepted the lousy pay. No regrets. I do know how much I miss my home land and the sense of humour.

Yes we have all abilities here from high end to beginners- they are all welcomed and appreciated. I’m certainly not at your level but I have a good all round knowledge of several subjects but I’m an x gas engineer enjoying woodworking and other building related activities.. hope you stick around..
Thanks bingy. The work I do is "classy" but in terms of financial reward ? Not so hot. But that's okay. I've muddle through and I certainly don't look down on other trade's. Organ builders are just not like that. We do like banter. It helps us deal with the insulting wages.

Yes we have all abilities here from high end to beginners- they are all welcomed and appreciated.
And then you have people like me who can't saw to a line & can't plane square, even if their lives depended on it. As I've recounted before, one of my neighbours, a craftsman, said that it's not possible be as bad as me & I must be doing it on purpose. Nope, it's a natural inability. Thank heavens for power tools & machinery.

Lovely organ. As the junior choir boy I was elected to pump a similar organ manually in the event of a power cut.

And then you have people like me who can't saw to a line & can't plane square, even if their lives depended on it. As I've recounted before, one of my neighbours, a craftsman, said that it's not possible be as bad as me & I must be doing it on purpose. Nope, it's a natural inability. Thank heavens for power tools & machinery.

Lovely organ. As the junior choir boy I was elected to pump a similar organ manually in the event of a power cut.
Nobody can plane an edge perfectly square with a hand plane, not even the best of us. Unless we have a few tricks up our sleeve.
It's one of the oldest tricks played on the apprentice. Plane that edge perfectly square boy ! Lol.
Usually someone would put the poor sod out of his misery an hour later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back