Ive done my time son, dont you worry about that.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. How many times have I heard the chip on the shoulder line. Let me answer your accusation with a sincere question ? How many colleagues have you seen loose finger's in a machine ?
Lost their hard earned pension ?
Been humiliated and ripped off by their greedy ego driven boss ?
Waited for years for that promised pay rise that never came ?
Sure, I could cry victim but it doesn't help.
That's why the Journeyman moves on. I moved on.
I found a good wife, made a good home. I'm happy and contented.
Being banned from here ?
Not a problem.
Watching people get hurt and ripped off because I didn't try to warn them at least ?
I have a conscience. I was trained to look out for my friends on the shop floor.
You're not the only person in this world who's had really hard times, not me but there are members on this forum who have lost limbs although not while woodworking and are in a far worse situation than you appear to be in. The difference is they don't bleat about it.
I honestly feel sorry for you but then you have enough of that feeling for yourself it would seem not to need the sympathy of others. Have you ever been honest with yourself and asked why you have "heard the chip on the shoulder line". Perhaps it might even be an accurate assessment? Anyway it wasn't an accusation from me it was an opinion on the tone of your posts. BTW you are the only person who has mentioned being banned - several times so you're presumably expecting it based on past experience.

I won't be drawn on the matter further as it's just woe is me drivel and I'm beginning to wonder if it's really just a thinly disguised spam thread
Good luck mate, I hope you get well soon.

Can I make a suggestion here. Do your forum time. Just read a few posts and try and help a few people. Gradually you'll find a space where people listen and help. People come and go on forums but I suggest a more sedate courtship and less wham bam thank you ma'am.

What, did the boss hold a gun to his head? No. The guy chose to do it that way. He may well have been put under pressure to do so, but the choice was his to make. 'He'd have gotten the sack if he hadn't' I hear you say, I'd say a small price to pay all things considered.

But this is the tip of the iceberg, you've only been a member for two days and seem to have a knack for rubbing folks the wrong way already. Try relaxing a little and going with the flow rather than constantly flexing your muscles.
The boss was making the guy work crazy over time hours. Burn out hour's. Ten plus hours a day and weekend's. Sure, he could have and really should have said no, this is insanely dangerous cutting short grain curved mouldings without the proper set up. But he caved in and payed the price. As would you if you chose to be that , dare I say it, foolish.
The gang mentality on forums is always fascinating to watch...
If the truth rubs YOU up the wrong way then that's your choice. Is it not ?
Are you a professional woodworker or a hobbyist ?
I think I can guess.
Care to loose your job with a mortgage to pay tough guy ?
I've seen that happen too.
Seen the divorces and drink problems.
But I guess your retired and don't have that weight on your shoulders. You can afford to talk tough. He didn't.
His boss could have and should have taken on another employee.
So be thankful your not part of that meat grinder. Many don't enjoy that luxury with children's mouth's to feed.
Oh and excuse the pun about meat grinder. It took an hour to find his finger's in the dust extraction. His fingers never recovered feeling. In the end they had to amputate.
But you never knew the guy so no worries eh ?
Tough guy.
What's my point ?
Keeping it real keeps your fingers on your hand and your nuts in your pants. 😆 🤣 😂

Can I make a suggestion here. Do your forum time. Just read a few posts and try and help a few people. Gradually you'll find a space where people listen and help. People come and go on forums but I suggest a more sedate courtship and less wham bam thank you ma'am.
Your point is well taken.
Sedate courtship is not why I'm here though it may well be for other's. Really it's okay.
I've lost good friends to this trade.
It is what it is. We make our choices and place our bets.
So many have said to me Johnny, I wish I'd done what you do.
It's funny really. I have no regrets. None. I had a blast getting here and I'm grateful for all I've seen, been and done.
But those who regret the choices they make envy those who they think have it better than them.
I don't look down on the hobby guys at all. They do.
I would say this. Enjoy your hobby. Seek out knowledge and skills so you can stay excited about it.
BUT, and this is a big but. Don't get emotionally attached to a machine or tool just because you got a good deal.
Know the difference between good, okay and kinda rubbish. If you find a better bit of kit let go of the clunker.
To often we had to use clunkers and killer's to keep our job.
Just saying. No machine is worth loosing your fingers or your life over. Is that such an unreasonable statement ?
Obviously it is. So I see no purpose in staying around.
But thank you for your considered and reasoned input. I respect that. Emotion is a no no on the shop floor. If someone got angry they were told to go outside and not come back in until they had calmed down.
Anger causes the worst cock ups and accidents.
I'm not into popularity contests mate. Not my style. Cheers 🍻.

You need help lad.
Thanks for the advice. Care to share it with those who are jumping down my neck ?
Everyone needs help. Everyone has issues. May as well get it out in the open. Yes ?
Let the healing begin.
I think this is why mens sheds are so popular down under.
No I'm not being facetious. Actually I'm meeting up with a men's shed dude tomorrow. He wants advice on setting up a shed.
No worries. Glad to help.
He's an ex pat. Ten pound Pom.
Lovely bloke. He's in to vintage motorbikes.

Stop all this!! Don't feed a troll. ( I shall not
Not going to stand your ground ?
It's the only reason I'm still alive.

I remember the boss who tried to make me do something suicidal on a shaper. I said no way. Actually it was no f ing way to be precise.
My way or the highway was his reply.
I took the second option.
He had no employee insurance.
What would you do in my
position ?

Strange thread!
TBH I thought that organ was fairly grotesque - somehow reminded me of old ladies underwear, pink and beige, over decorated. A stark reminder that design is king, whatever the craft skill involved.
It's just the box, more important by far are the pipes and other stuff inside.

Oh you mean the Powermatic that was auctioned off cheap because it doesn't have antikickback finger's ? Yeah, well when you have a class of twenty plus kids standing in front of a potential kick back it's something of a liability issue. All I did was warn of the dangers. Take it or leave it.
The fact remains that they are removed from schools for safety reasons. But because I attempted to illustrate my point to help people avoid getting hurt it was deleted and now the vultures have followed me here as I expected.

Actually it started off by you explaining how undersized the components of the machine were and then explaining how the wadkin was superior. Unfortunately for your credibility the machine you were disparaging (and this is the important part) the specific components you touted as heavier on the wadkin are in fact lighter and smaller in diameter than on the powermatic.

Now regardless of which machine is better, and the wadkin likely is, your point was lost when you doubled down on other aspects of the machine design that only showed you had never seen, or even bothered to look up the machine specifications. When faced with that reality you again changed to another item of the design (the kickback pawls).

Had you started there, and not made incorrect assumptions and subsequently stated those incorrect assumptions as fact it possibly (though unlikely based off the same pattern in this forum) would have gone differently.

Strange thread!
TBH I thought that organ was fairly grotesque - somehow reminded me of old ladies underwear, pink and beige, over decorated. A stark reminder that design is king, whatever the craft skill involved.
It's just the box, more important by far are the pipes and other stuff inside.
I’m so glad you’ve turned up here, I thought I was in a strange dream reading this.
Feels like a drunken pirate has just landed ashore and is telling tales of his time at sea.
Strange indeed.

Thanks for the advice. Care to share it with those who are jumping down my neck ?
Everyone needs help. Everyone has issues. May as well get it out in the open. Yes ?
The UKW has a lot of really great members of all backgrounds and some will have had some difficult times but they come here to participate in woodworking topics and the freindly enviroment we strive to maintain. This is the result of becoming involved to share what you have done, purchased or achieved recently and is unfortunately not an agony aunt forum for your life history. So by all means get involved and help others with your knowledge and experience but accept that we do not run a hierachy of ability or skills and that everyone is equal round here and welcomed, we accept peoples views and opinions will differ but that is accepted and hopefully you will feel better through involvement in the forums, you sound well travelled and must have a lot of skills to share but any more issues this thread will be closed.

Mr Screwed driver has left. Well he did expect to be thrown out, no point disappointing him.
I've been here a while and never have I encountered such an awful, arrogant member. If he isn't trolling he needs help.

Mr Screwed driver has left. Well he did expect to be thrown out, no point disappointing him.
I've been here a while and never have I encountered such an awful, arrogant member. If he isn't trolling he needs help.
He's the guy you do not want to be sat down the bar from you.

Well I’m not surprised- I almost started a sharpening thread as a distraction to his unusual approach to joining this forum. I don’t think he’s edit … not well mentally and I hope he gets the help he obviously needs..

Last edited:
That was a very weird interlude. There are people on these forums whom I strongly disagree with, but by and large I can see where they're coming from, but the language and tone of his posts was surreal. Something almost non-human about it, like a cartoon character...

I’m so glad you’ve turned up here, I thought I was in a strange dream reading this.
Feels like a drunken pirate has just landed ashore and is telling tales of his time at sea.
Strange indeed.
You're spot on! It's like Lord Flashheart from Black Adder (played by Rik Mayall) had taken up woodwork and joined the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back