Work Shoes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willsie01

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m able to spend a lot more time in the workshop now in my retirement. Having spent most of my life being able to sit down whenever my feet were a bit tired I find at the end of the day they are really suffering. I think a lot of the problem is the shoes I wear. What brands/styles are good for long periods of standing?

Maybe not what you are wearing but what you are standing on. Cold concrete floors are not good, use rubber mats to stand on or old mats are also ok. A bonus is that if you drop a router cutter it is not going to be damaged unlike it hitting a concrete floor.

My feet are a lot happier since I put down some rubber matting.

But as usual I skimped and put down the cheap interlocking kind from Halfords. now 2-3 years later it appears to have kind of dried out and is even lighter and moves easily, I think it's time to replace it.

So you could benefit from my mistake.

Also footwear is a big issue, six years ago I came across a nice fitting work style shoe, liked them alot. Purchased three pairs, fast forward to present and they cause stress on my knees so I rarely wear them. I only have the one pair as the others wore down.

If you aren't heavy labouring, digging, or otherwise thrashing them, then good quality walking boots are comfortable, warm, hard wearing, etc. Pay £100 or more
Walking boots that is, not the heavier "mountain" boot.
https://www.blacks.co.uk/blog/top-15-walking-boots-reviewed
If you are likely to drop things on your toes then steel toe cap boots are good - De Walt (Screwfix) etc and cheaper than walking boots but not as comfortable.
Need to be one size over your normal shoe size

I wear trainers in the workshop and have no second thoughts about doing so.
I have boots and have been most grateful for them doing machinery projects with friends. When you have to coordinate with other people and one pushes or pulls when the other isn't expecting it, accidents are far more likely that when you are working alone. Our (my ?) injury rate is much higher when we're playing together.
If I was going out to reorganise the shed and move the big toys around, that would be another time to put on boots.

I find a day in the workshop in my Crocs is a lot easier than in my workboots. A bit like putting the rubber mats on your feet rather than the floor.
My shed shoes of choice are slip ones called Hobos, you find them in most of the cheap shoe shops for about £7 or 8. I find them very comfortable.

Rubber mats and good quality walking boots are my go to, unless there's a risk of something landing on my toes in which case the steelies go on. Both my walking and work boots are Haix and have sorbothane insoles in them. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but at size 13 I seem to be limited to spending a fortune or buying cheap and suffering for it after a couple hours. Having said that I also buy a lot of military surplus boots which cater for my size, are comfortable and don't break the bank.

Latest posts

Back